Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,322 times

Advertisements

Other cops should take notice, the unions negotiates better perks for some officers. I think you guys settled for less. Forced Groping should be in the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM

398 posts, read 838,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Out of curiosity -- I wonder if this girl tried calling him, too.

We have 3 possibly inebriated females in a car, pulled over.
We have 1 male PO who was possibly on a power trip.
We have phone messages which were saved and turned over.
We have no mention if the girl(s) tried calling him back after the first contact, perhaps saying suggestive things to get him geared up.

I have trouble with the fact that the 3 girls in the car waited 4 months to report this. There's something more to this story. I do believe he should be removed from duty while this is investigated, I don't condone an individual who gropes women being out on active duty.
'Gearing him up'? He still let them go with the intent of exchanging phone numbers. Do your job not try to get yourself tail.

I used to laugh when I attended St Johns university in Queens that had their own security, but a few young NYPD guys always were on campus leaning on their squad car talking to college girls.

Shameful.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,711,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
'Gearing him up'? He still let them go with the intent of exchanging phone numbers. Do your job not try to get yourself tail.

I used to laugh when I attended St Johns university in Queens that had their own security, but a few young NYPD guys always were on campus leaning on their squad car talking to college girls.

Shameful.
Shameful? Why, took the babes away from you?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone in LE abused power that way. Several years ago there was a notorious case, in Texas if memory serves correctly, where one was pulling women over, directing them to a parking lot, and raping them. Likewise, if there are recordings of phone calls where he is promising any kind of reward in return for sexual favors, that would be pretty damning, regardless of whether the women gave him any reason to believe they would be open to it.

But--and there is always a "but"--as OBH said, the women might very well have been drunk, and there is no mention of whether they returned the calls and led him on. For all we know, this could have gone the other way, with one of them starting in with offers, which could potentially mean entrapment. It wouldn't be the first time a drunk female tried to, ah, blow through a ticket. Speculation as far as the Snoozeday story goes, but this is Snoozeday reporting we're talking about here. We don't have his side of it yet, other than that he pled "not guilty," which makes sense if you Google his name: It looks like he's married.

At any rate, if the guy did this, or even made the calls without committing the assault, he is, as BigMike says, an idiot.

But a good defense attorney is going to have a field day discrediting 3 women who were out drinking.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
None of the women, including the driver, were charged with being drunk, so what is there to discredit? There's no proof any of the women were drunk at the time. That would not excuse any of his actions (phone calls) anyway.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 06-16-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Out of curiosity -- I wonder if this girl tried calling him, too.

We have 3 possibly inebriated females in a car, pulled over.
We have 1 male PO who was possibly on a power trip.
We have phone messages which were saved and turned over.
We have no mention if the girl(s) tried calling him back after the first contact, perhaps saying suggestive things to get him geared up.

I have trouble with the fact that the 3 girls in the car waited 4 months to report this. There's something more to this story. I do believe he should be removed from duty while this is investigated, I don't condone an individual who gropes women being out on active duty.
The story didn't say they waited 4 months to report it. It just said (according to his attorney) that he was made aware of the charges at that time. The authorities could have been checking out the woman's credibility, the story, etc., for some time.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
None of the women, including the driver, were charged with being drunk, so what is there to discredit?
Read again, noting the words in boldface:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone in LE abused power that way. Several years ago there was a notorious case, in Texas if memory serves correctly, where one was pulling women over, directing them to a parking lot, and raping them. Likewise, if there are recordings of phone calls where he is promising any kind of reward in return for sexual favors, that would be pretty damning, regardless of whether the women gave him any reason to believe they would be open to it.

But--and there is always a "but"--as OBH said, the women might very well have been drunk, and there is no mention of whether they returned the calls and led him on. For all we know, this could have gone the other way, with one of them starting in with offers, which could potentially mean entrapment. It wouldn't be the first time a drunk female tried to, ah, blow through a ticket. Speculation as far as the Snoozeday story goes, but this is Snoozeday reporting we're talking about here. We don't have his side of it yet, other than that he pled "not guilty," which makes sense if you Google his name: It looks like he's married.

At any rate, if the guy did this, or even made the calls without committing the assault, he is, as BigMike says, an idiot.

But a good defense attorney is going to have a field day discrediting 3 women who were out drinking.
I'll add that if (again, note boldface) one of them was borderline on the breathalyzer, it would be a pretty good bet they had a few when they were out, especially because they were stopped at 4:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning, meaning the wee hours of Saturday night. I'd wager they weren't exactly en route to getting mani-pedis at that hour.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
None of the women, including the driver, were charged with being drunk, so what is there to discredit? There's no proof any of the women were drunk at the time. That would not excuse any of his actions (phone calls) anyway.
Nice edit. And that is what I said, in bold, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Default What does everybody think of the possible penalty?

The story said:

Quote:
Garrett Mannerz, 34, of East Patchogue, was arrested by Nassau County's Internal Affairs Unit and charged with bribe receiving in the third degree, official misconduct, coercion in the second degree and sexual abuse in the third degree. A police spokesman said Mannerz has been suspended without pay.

Mannerz was arraigned Wednesday in First District Court in Hempstead. Judge Angelo A. Delligatti released him without bail. He faces up to 7 years in prison if convicted.
I think 7 years is too long. That's a lot of time to rot in jail.

We will see what happens when this goes to trial of course.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM

19,260 posts, read 17,134,822 times
Does he get a free PBA attorney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island