Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 22,293 times

Advertisements

My wife have been looking for quite a while for an affordable 1 bedroom apartment in Long Island. In order to save ourselves some money we've been going through postings on Craigslist by owners, but we either find that the apartments are either kept in bad condition for it's price, or they are quickly gone.

We are starting to consider other alternatives, even if that means to spend some more money. I know hiring a Realtor can be quite pricey, but are they really worth it? Also can anyone recommend any decent apartment communities in a safe and quiet area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just in case you are wondering we are hoping to find a place somewhere in between East Meadow to Lindenhurst, in between Eastern Nassau and Western Suffolk counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jingles View Post
My wife have been looking for quite a while for an affordable 1 bedroom apartment in Long Island. In order to save ourselves some money we've been going through postings on Craigslist by owners, but we either find that the apartments are either kept in bad condition for it's price, or they are quickly gone.

We are starting to consider other alternatives, even if that means to spend some more money. I know hiring a Realtor can be quite pricey, but are they really worth it? Also can anyone recommend any decent apartment communities in a safe and quiet area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just in case you are wondering we are hoping to find a place somewhere in between East Meadow to Lindenhurst, in between Eastern Nassau and Western Suffolk counties.

Long Island does not have all that many "apartment communities" - and the ones that do exist, usually charge a hefty amount for rent.

The fee for the rental is usually one month's rent. This gets split between the Listing Broker and the Renting Broker, who then share it with their agents.

On Long Island, most landlords with legal apartments use a RE agent - and why not? The agent fields all the calls, puts the rental on Multiple Listing (sometimes also advertises it locally, in Pennysavers, etc.), interviews prospective tenants and takes care of background checks, etc., thereby saving the landlord time and inconvenience.

You did not state an amount you're willing to pay for rent, but Lindenhurst is actually pretty affordable as rents go on Long Island.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 AM

3 posts, read 22,293 times
I'm looking for something between $1100 - $1500 ( with amenities included )

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
You'll definitely find something in Lindenhurst then.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
There are PLENTY of apartments that do not use a listing agent. (FWIW Elke is a RE agent )

Just be persistent.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
There are PLENTY of apartments that do not use a listing agent. (FWIW Elke is a RE agent )

Just be persistent.
I'm not trying to hide it - says so right below my name

FWIW I pointed out that MOST landlords use an agent, not all. And of those that don't, MANY have illegal apartments. And as an agent, I deal with a lot more rentals than someone who is not - it's the nature of the beast...

Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I'm not trying to hide it - says so right below my name

FWIW I pointed out that MOST landlords use an agent, not all. And of those that don't, MANY have illegal apartments. And as an agent, I deal with a lot more rentals than someone who is not - it's the nature of the beast...
Alls I'm saying is that there are MANY listings without the ridiculous fees that agents want.

A friend of mine was looking at apts in Astoria, and some listing fees were between 1500-2000 just to the agent, THEN they wanted security, plus first and last month's rent.

It's a scam.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
It's not a scam. It's a business.

If someone does not want to use an agent they are free not to.

Typical rental fee on Long Island is 1 month's rent. In the city the typical fee is 10% of the yearly rental.

Now, my advice to the OP: There is a lot of junky and overpriced apartments out there, listed and not listed, legal and not legal. The good ones go really fast. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing (but expand your search beyond Craigslist) AND contact several local real estate agents who handle rentals (not all do). You may also want to network through your place of worship, job, school or other organizations. The idea is to cas as wide a net as you can. When you find what you are looking for be ready to jump on it.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,273 times
I don't know if legality of the dwelling matters or not, but I got into an apartment using a realtor, and found out later through personal research it was illegal.

Relocating in from out of state, first shock was the lack of apartment communities on LI, and second shock I had no idea how common these "apartments within private homes" were illegal.
I didn't mind paying the "fee" to the realtor since my company was paying for relocation expenses, but I figured a professional (esp someone who has their own office building!) wouldn't show or represent illegitimate units.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:11 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,763,579 times
They are not supposed to, but ,alas, many do. Anyone renting a home in a private house should ask to see the permit or contact the town to determine if it is legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island