Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times

Advertisements

As early as 1961, "safe and reasonable" speeds along the Long Island Expressway were established at 50 MPH in Queens, 60 MPH in Nassau and 65 MPH in Suffolk (when it opened). Five years later, 40 MPH minimum-speed signs were posted along the expressway as part of a campaign to keep traffic moving. The 60 MPH and 65 MPH signs were replaced with 55 MPH signs in 1974.

In 1999, State Senator Owen Johnson (R-Babylon) and Assemblyman Robert Sweeney (D-Lindenhurst) introduced bills that would raise the speed limit on the Long Island Expressway to 65 MPH between EXIT 40 in Jericho and EXIT 73 in Riverhead. Johnson and Sweeney found support among upstate legislators who wanted to revert to the pre-1973 law, which set the state maximum freeway speeds at 65 MPH and let the NYSDOT determine these speeds. However, downstate legislators, led by Assembly Speaker Silver (D-Manhattan), held that the State Legislature, not the NYSDOT, determine speeds on each route segment. Despite qualified support from the LIA and the Automobile Club of New York for the new 65 MPH limit, the legislation was killed.

It must have been fun driving on the LIE in 1966.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM

142 posts, read 265,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not just imposing their driving, but actually trying to force the driver in front of them to break the law by speeding too!
I can honestly say I've tailgated before. My intention is never to get the person to go faster, though it would be nice. I'd like them to what is exactly taught in a driver education course. If there is another lane available, move to it. If you are on a one lane road, activate your right signal, pull over to the side slowly, let the car pass, return to the lane and be on your way.

As mentioned in my previous post, I've tried the whole "flashing the brights" to give a heads up that I'm behind them. The sad thing is, I'd say 50% of the time the drivers don't even know I'm there because they don't look in their rear view mirror once the whole time. The other 50% of the time, drivers see me and have no idea what to do. Or, let's say 49% of the time, they don't know what to do, and the other 1% of the time, Gpsma is busy being Poncherello. I don't feel the need to force someone to break the law....if they aren't comfortable going 60 mph, that's fine. Move over and let me get the ticket then.

Listen, I feel that "speeding" can be safe to an extent. As many have mentioned, there are plenty of places on LI where the speed limit is too damn slow. Can someone safely drive their vehicle at 65 mph on the LIE? Lord, I hope so. The bigger problem is reckless driving...weaving in and out of traffic, going 90 mph+, sitting in the left lane at 40 mph, the fools who can't talk on their phone and drive at the same time, etc....Common sense goes a long way, unfortunately there is so little of it, more and more laws have to be made.

In about 20 years, none of this will be a problem as all cars will be completely automated like in Minority Report or iRobot. Those will be the days.....

Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
If I may interject here...

The speed limit:
The speed limit on the LIE is far too low. It should really be 65MPH from the Cross Island Parkway to the eastern end. The same goes for Sunrise Highway in Suffolk. I think we can agree that Tri State highways have unrealistically low speed limits. The Wantagh Parkway north of Sunrise could also be 65MPH...with some road improvements (acceleration/deceleration lanes, better shoulder, etc).
And why is it FAR too slow? Raising it to 65 will only give some the excuse to speed even more. With the traffic congestion, its almost impossible to do 65 during rush hour.

And with all the education I have imparted, some still dont see the that they are not long distance truckers where 10 miles an hour over a 10 hour day really does make a difference.

GOing from Massapequa to Rocky Point for bread pudding doesnt require any more than a 55 mph speed

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What are you rushing for?
You're trying to unjustify every reason under the sun, but get this - it's not your place to judge and impose what's right or wrong for others to begin with. Do you do this with anything else? How about we set your rules then - sound alright?

Regardless, it's not necessarily rushing to get somewhere, it's to keep from droning boredom while driving. It's not to be reckless, we feel perfectly comfortable going the speed we do. Nobody WANTS to tailgate you when given the choice to just pass - yet you take such offense to it and want it to stop - can you not figure out how to avoid it? Or are you too stubborn? It is natural to go a comfortable speed, and 55mph on a freeway is not it for a majority of competent drivers. Type B personalities or whatever the issue is will never understand this, or don't want to - I guess we're just doing this to show how ridiculous your stance is. Yes, we are over the limit and we know this. We drink when we're not supposed to. We smoke when we're not supposed to. We wash the car or water the lawn when we're not supposed to. We jaywalk when we're not supposed to. Using "it's the law" is just an excuse because you know damn well nobody gets pulled over for 60mph on the LIE. You're either doing it to save fuel, not a comfortable driver, or just have nowhere to be (applies mostly to the elderly).

once again... look at the pile-up of cars when everyone is going a "slow" max speed. IS THIS HOW IT SHOULD BE? ARE YOU OK WITH THIS?

55: A Meditation on the Speed Limit - YouTube

I think variable speeds, aka COMFORTABLE SPEEDS FOR EVERYONE, works. Do 55mph if you want to, but GET OUT OF THE WAY.

We just want to do our own thing by moving along and you're saying we can't or shouldn't and go so far as to prevent it. Kayfouroh, who's actually "imposing" on who? How is it not wrong when a common citizen is imposing their belief / actions on their peers?

Last edited by ovi8; 05-02-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Kayfouroh, who's actually "imposing" on who? How is it not wrong when a common citizen is imposing their belief / actions on their peers?
I'd love to hear how us safer drivers misinterpret this sign that is routinely on the LIE.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
Quote:
And why is it FAR too slow? Raising it to 65 will only give some the excuse to speed even more.
Wrong. People will drive as fast as they want to or feel comfortable driving. If it was raised to 65, I'd gather it would change very little. Would you start driving 65? You've made it abundantly clear that doing 55 is the magical number of which it is more than enough time and speed to go where you're going. If it was raised to 65, I would have to deduce you would keep doing 55 because you believe this is what is sufficient for driving. You wouldn't change you driving habits.

Do you ever drive out of state? Do you drive 55 everywhere?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Not rushing that's just the speed I prefer.

But, it's against the law . It makes the roads dangerous for others, maybe even your own children.

Nope, it was out of state lol. DelMarVa area of I95

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Texting while driving is even worse .
I know. I don't have kids it's usually just me alone in the car and it's usually during a time when there is no traffic. I am not the only one doing it either even at 70 cars still pas me so I try and keep my speed between 60-and 70mph.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'd love to hear how us safer drivers misinterpret this sign that is routinely on the LIE.
Because you, the common citizen, think it's okay to MAKE OTHER CITIZENS obey a law. Was that not clear enough? Let me ask you, what other aspect of your daily routine do you usually do the same? And no, your kids do not count.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Try preferring 55

Do you prefer 65 or 70 if you are in another state?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Nope, it was out of state lol. DelMarVa area of I95
Thats delaware raising revenue for the 10 miles of I95 thru it. Besides, I think the speed limit in that area is 50 MPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island