Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 11:52 AM

450 posts, read 386,914 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks how is this area, I was told to avoid Port Jefferson Station area due to increased crime and high population/low income neighborhoods, but I found a huge house in Mt. Sinai school district but in PJS zip code, someone said to be careful..

It doesn't look that bad, especially the Mt. Sinai SD of PJS zip code. It looks like there are few gated communities like ranches and villages. Anyone familiar with this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 10:40 PM

Oh man bad timing, I just heard the news someone got shot in Port Jefferson earlier today..

Old 03-27-2021, 07:24 PM

Nobody from this part of Port Jefferson Station?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 6,180 times
I'm not sure what people mean when they are telling you to "be careful". There is typical Long Island suburbs petty crime around here. Car break ins, drunk teen house parties, fireworks on a random night in August are examples of the local common issues. Nothing more, nothing less. The shooting down Port was an isolated incident although there tends to be some higher incidences of crime in the upper/lower Port vicinity. The crime in that very small area, is as varied as the factors that contribute to it.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:03 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Oh man bad timing, I just heard the news someone got shot in Port Jefferson earlier today..
A 19-year-old Port Jefferson Station man faces a murder charge in the shooting death of a Shirley man in broad daylight on Main Street in Port Jefferson on Wednesday, Suffolk County police said Saturday.

Joseph Garcia, of Market Street, was arrested on Saturday and charged with second-degree murder in the death of David Bliss, 25, police said.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...son-1.50196961

Old 03-28-2021, 04:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Hi Folks how is this area, I was told to avoid Port Jefferson Station area due to increased crime and high population/low income neighborhoods, but I found a huge house in Mt. Sinai school district but in PJS zip code, someone said to be careful..

It doesn't look that bad, especially the Mt. Sinai SD of PJS zip code. It looks like there are few gated communities like ranches and villages. Anyone familiar with this area?
Criminals do not care about the zip code of their victims.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee33 View Post
I'm not sure what people mean when they are telling you to "be careful". There is typical Long Island suburbs petty crime around here. Car break ins, drunk teen house parties, fireworks on a random night in August are examples of the local common issues. Nothing more, nothing less. The shooting down Port was an isolated incident although there tends to be some higher incidences of crime in the upper/lower Port vicinity. The crime in that very small area, is as varied as the factors that contribute to it.

Thanks, but think about it, if you were looking to move and saw few good houses in Wyandanch or Westbury or Huntington Station.. but zoned for better school district, wouldn't you want to know if these are good areas or not?

I am not looking for specific crimes but overall if anyone has experience in this area/lived/know someone who lives there, etc.. and stuff you mentioned things like fireworks, drunk teen house parties and car brake-ins are stuff that I would prefer to avoid, and it's not normal to expect these to be common occurrences in any decent neighborhood.

The reason I started the thread is to look for people who live in this area, border of PJS and Mt. Sinai, specifically the area around Patchogue-Mt. Sinai rd by Canal/25A/Mt. Sinai Coram Road.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,180 times
This is Long Island not Mayberry. Lock your car doors, get a ring doorbell and don't be naive enough to think rich kids don't party. As for random fireworks, they are typical pretty much everywhere around here during the summer. With your central air running you won't even hear them. I know the area well and it's a nice neighborhood. For the money you are spending you could go north of 347 or even North Country Road, but nothing would change as far as cars, kids and fireworks.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:50 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
Mt Sanaa is good. PJS is bad. Known gang activity. Heavily Hispanic gangs. Anywhere near the railroad tracks are dangerous. I went in a diner with a friend, who was an off duty cop at the time, and they knew immediately he was a cop, all stopped talking and some were threatening to slice him. Nit far north is the beautiful ferry area.

That said, I almost bought a house in Wheatley Heights (Same PO as Wyandanch. Bigger properties, nice houses, mixed black and white residents and was in the HHH School district. So, if you are far away from the PJS train station and are in the MS school district, you maybe ok. You gotta go and check out the areas at all different times of the day and night.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:51 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Criminals do not care about the zip code of their victims.
True but more of them live in certain zip codes. Mt Sanaa isn’t one of them but PJS is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island