Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 PM

213 posts, read 728,367 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to move and I was wondering how is the area of Sound Beach, Miller Place, and Rocky Point. I drove by and it seems very nice, some areas are very hilly. They look generally safe, clean. Also what are the school district like?

How far long would it take to drive to Smithtown in the morning and then back after work?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times
Sound Beach is a very nice community. Yes, very hilly. Sometimes the street you live on determnes your quality of life. Most neighbors are established residents. The drive to Smithtown will take about 35-40 minutes because of the daunting task of driving up 347. Sound Beach splits school districts with Rocky Point and Miller Place. I am not sure where the dividing line is. I believe they are both somewhat equal in status, however, this may be disputed by its respective residents. You have access to Cedar Beach. You have your choice of Comsawogue or Port Jefferson library. Not much more to say about Sound Beach. It is pretty uneventful, which is a good thing. Good luck on your search.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 PM

213 posts, read 728,367 times
Wow, thanks. Thats what I like to here.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
Sound Beach is a very nice community. Yes, very hilly. Sometimes the street you live on determnes your quality of life. Most neighbors are established residents. The drive to Smithtown will take about 35-40 minutes because of the daunting task of driving up 347. Sound Beach splits school districts with Rocky Point and Miller Place. I am not sure where the dividing line is. I believe they are both somewhat equal in status, however, this may be disputed by its respective residents. You have access to Cedar Beach. You have your choice of Comsawogue or Port Jefferson library. Not much more to say about Sound Beach. It is pretty uneventful, which is a good thing. Good luck on your search.

Agreed.

I would say slight advantage MP schools (except for Elementary and Special Ed...which is sorely lacking) but they are both fine.

Just as a point of clarity the dividing line is around Echo but if youre in RPSD you will get the better Library with NSPL and the lower taxes.

SB/MP/RP are all very good values IMO.
(For flatter property theres good buys to be had in MP south in both MP and RP SDs)
Good luck in your hunt.

Crooks

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Rocky Point is the best out of the 3 school wise. Sound Beach is split between the 2 districts (RP and MP). If you live in Miller Place you can go to Comsewogue library. RP is the Shoreham Wading river one. not sure about Sound Beach.I think it depends on which district you fall into. Either way, all the surrounding areas are decent but if you have specific streets in mind we can probably give you a better opinion but all in all, the areas are good,working class towns.Travel time depends on what time you leave in the morning to get to Smithtown and how deep into it you are going.It can range from 25 minutes-45.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Sound Beach resident here...and can vouch for everything said here.

Re: the schools. When we moved in, our neighbors told us the only real difference between Miller Place and Rocky Point schools were that the MP kids drove nicer cars.

For what it's worth. I actually live on the border of the school districts (i'm RP, my next door neighbor is MP). Despite being in the MP school district, she works for the RP School district because (in her words) it's more down to earth.

If you do decide to look for specific homes, DM me and if I know anything about the area I'll let you know.

Oh, and 2 rules. Try to buy on top of a hill vice the bottom. And if you do live need to live near the bottom, find one with a storm drain out front. Those hills are real :-)

Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Rocky Point is the best out of the 3 school wise. Sound Beach is split between the 2 districts (RP and MP). If you live in Miller Place you can go to Comsewogue library. RP is the Shoreham Wading river one. not sure about Sound Beach.I think it depends on which district you fall into. Either way, all the surrounding areas are decent but if you have specific streets in mind we can probably give you a better opinion but all in all, the areas are good,working class towns.Travel time depends on what time you leave in the morning to get to Smithtown and how deep into it you are going.It can range from 25 minutes-45.
According to New York State Public School standard rankings for 2007, Rocky Point High School scored 121.6 and Miller Place 128. Both schools have similar ethnic demographics, I'm assuming MP has a higher average income. I'm not sure which district has higher taxes for a similar house. Looks to me like it's about the individual house/street/neighborhood as the 3 areas schools are pretty similar.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
According to New York State Public School standard rankings for 2007, Rocky Point High School scored 121.6 and Miller Place 128. Both schools have similar ethnic demographics, I'm assuming MP has a higher average income. I'm not sure which district has higher taxes for a similar house. Looks to me like it's about the individual house/street/neighborhood as the 3 areas schools are pretty similar.
My kids were in both districts.This year rocky point,last year miller place. Sorry but there definitely is a difference.Yes, miller place residents probably have more money but attention to students and their development is much more important than a $$$ figure. Rocky Point schools are better.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM

148 posts, read 556,967 times
The numbers i've seen in Newsday seem to indicate that Miller Place is a better district. Regents diplomas and such...

My friends in Rocky Point seem pleased with exception of 9th grade math teacher!

No I don't have a link---you can find it if you want though.

Last edited by rprprprp; 06-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My kids were in both districts.This year rocky point,last year miller place. Sorry but there definitely is a difference.Yes, miller place residents probably have more money but attention to students and their development is much more important than a $$$ figure. Rocky Point schools are better.
This is good info...I appreciate the perspective from someone who was involved with both districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island