Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:57 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times

Advertisements

ok, let's suppose car "a" is getting gas at the gas station. the door is open as the passenger is getting out to get gas. now car "b" is on the road then veers into the parking lot and is not paying attention to the cars in front of her at the gas station, rather she is looking at the prices of gas on the signs. she then clips the door of car "a".

whose fault is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Hmmm...private property....not like the peeson in car a opened the passenger door onto the street...my guess is the bimbo who wasnt paying attention

Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 PM

will the resident law enforcement official chime in as well?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
I would go with car B but it depends... if car A left the door open when it was parked far enough away from the pump so that the door really was sticking into the roadway an inordinate amount... then I'd have to say they share responsibility. B shoud have been paying more attention but A really shouldn't have been in the way in the first place.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I would go with car B but it depends... if car A left the door open when it was parked far enough away from the pump so that the door really was sticking into the roadway an inordinate amount... then I'd have to say they share responsibility. B shoud have been paying more attention but A really shouldn't have been in the way in the first place.
car a was legally parked, getting gas. driver b drove into the gas station, not paying attention. it wasnt on a roadway, it was in a parking lot.

same situation if car a was in a parking spot and car b wanted to get the spot next to car a and clipped the door. it would be car b's fault, correct? he should have been looking before pulling in.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
B was operating the motor vehicle and should have been aware of her surroundings -- the car door she clipped could easily have been a person.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
car a was legally parked, getting gas. driver b drove into the gas station, not paying attention. it wasnt on a roadway, it was in a parking lot.
I know, that's not what I'm trying to say. What I'm saying is if car A was parked way over, so much so that car A's door was open into the driving area way more than anyone would expect, then I'd say they should share some responsibility. Especially if car A was parked right in the area where someone first drives into the gas station. It's like parking your car close to the curb on a tight turning corner, something like that. Yes, if someone hits you they shouldn't have, but you have to show a little common sense yourself sometimes.

Anyway, what I'm describing is a pretty unusual scenario. Like I said, B's at fault either way, its just a matter of if A should share any of it.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I know, that's not what I'm trying to say. What I'm saying is if car A was parked way over, so much so that car A's door was open into the driving area way more than anyone would expect, then I'd say they should share some responsibility. Especially if car A was parked right in the area where someone first drives into the gas station. It's like parking your car close to the curb on a tight turning corner, something like that. Yes, if someone hits you they shouldn't have, but you have to show a little common sense yourself sometimes.

Anyway, what I'm describing is a pretty unusual scenario. Like I said, B's at fault either way, its just a matter of if A should share any of it.
"...the door is open as the passenger is getting out to get gas.". The person operating B could have hit the passenger as s/he was exiting the car -- she's luckynshe didn't. The 2nd driver was not paying attention to her surroundings because she was reading the gas prices.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM

194 posts, read 444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
"...the door is open as the passenger is getting out to get gas.". The person operating B could have hit the passenger as s/he was exiting the car -- she's luckynshe didn't. The 2nd driver was not paying attention to her surroundings because she was reading the gas prices.
Since Driver A's door was open, a percentage of fault will be assigned to him or her for creating an unsafe condition.

Anectodally, my significant other backed out of a parking spot and hit another car. She was completely at fault and there was no "coverup" in the accident report. However, my insurance company was able to recover one half of my deductible because the other motorist, who was doing nothing wrong other than driving through the parking lot, did not successfully take evasive action.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Since Driver A's door was open, a percentage of fault will be assigned to him or her for creating an unsafe condition.

Anectodally, my significant other backed out of a parking spot and hit another car. She was completely at fault and there was no "coverup" in the accident report. However, my insurance company was able to recover one half of my deductible because the other motorist, who was doing nothing wrong other than driving through the parking lot, did not successfully take evasive action.
Then hou have a good insurance company. If your significant other did that to me, and i didnt get paid entirely to fix mycar, i would sue you for emotional injury...until my dent was fixed in full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: