Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM

217 posts, read 255,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
I am so tired of teacher bashing.
I'm sorry you feel this is teacher bashing, but it's not. This is taxpayers simply wanting better value for our dime.

Quote:
I became a teacher because I love to work with children and I love to teach. Not because of the pay for any means. If were so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher?
Actually, have you seen how difficult it is to get a teaching gig on LI? People are running to be a teacher - they just can't get the job.
Quote:
Im confused. If teaching is such a "Sweet Deal" and were so "overpaid" why am I so broke? Why is it that I am driving a 99 caravan, have a 3 bedroom one floor ranch with a leaky roof (that we cant afford to fix), and never go on vacations etc? We dont have credit cards, nice clothes, we dont go out to eat, we dont go to the movies.. nothing! What I do have is a whole heck of a lot of student loans that I need to pay back.
I may be mistaken, but from a previous post you said you have 4 kids? Maybe that has something to do with your financial situation?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
I am so tired of teacher bashing.

While a lot of your post after this was good, you start off with hyperbole so people don't pay attention to it. Talking about how much someone makes who is paid by taxpayers is not bashing. Get over it. If you didn't want your salary to be public knowledge, you shouldn't have worked in the public sector. It's not bashing. Same with police.

I know your situation well, I'm living in it, but if you are struggling, imaging how a family with 2 private sector jobs making 50K each a year who has to send their kids to daycare all FRIGGIN YEAR feels. That would cost my wife and I an extra $2,500 a year. Meanwhile they have an 8K tax bill that is about 65% the result of school budgets.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think the people complaining here are talking about teachers in LI public schools, so you're kind of arguing against a strawman. Our property taxes aren't affected (at least directly) by what you get paid.
I agree, they don't. I'm saying that as a teacher in another school district, I pay the same taxes you do and I'm sick of hearing this argument. Sure, I could make more money if I taught on LI but the animosity that people here have for teachers is beyond me. There are so many people whose salaries comes from your taxes but the only ones that seems to get scrutinized is the teachers and cops. There's probably lots of reasons to choose from but whatever the reasons, what do threads like this really get you?

I don't live my life worrying about what everyone else is getting - its like some people are so focused on this perceived injustice as if this is the worst thing in their lives. I'm pretty sure if you look for it, you can find way worse things going on to be outraged about. But even if you can't, does complaining about teachers and cops for 29 pages make that problem go away? Does it make anyone feel better about it? I doubt it.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM

100 posts, read 222,669 times
Default jo

Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
Actually, have you seen how difficult it is to get a teaching gig on LI? People are running to be a teacher - they just can't get the job.

Yes, I know. I was one of them who had to work very hard against maybe a thousand or more people to get my job. Im asking why the "bashers" on here dont run and get a teacher job if its so sweet. The others are most likely like me, they are trying to become a teacher because they want to teach, not because of the salary.

I may be mistaken, but from a previous post you said you have 4 kids?

No, I just had my third and last child.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:26 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,977 times
Maybe you should look into becoming a teacher too dman. You seem pretty bright.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
I am so tired of teacher bashing. I became a teacher because I love to work with children and I love to teach. Not because of the pay for any means. If were so overpaid why isnt everyone running to be a teacher?
if you think it's easy to get a job as a teacher on LI, you simply do not know much about this issue.

Quote:
Im confused. If teaching is such a "Sweet Deal" and were so "overpaid" why am I so broke? Why is it that I am driving a 99 caravan, have a 3 bedroom one floor ranch with a leaky roof (that we cant afford to fix), and never go on vacations etc? We dont have credit cards, nice clothes, we dont go out to eat, we dont go to the movies.. nothing! What I do have is a whole heck of a lot of student loans that I need to pay back.
kind of hard for us to weigh in on the "why" without you giving us more details.

Quote:
Its SO frustrating to me to still hear people bashing teachers when I work so hard and give my heart to your children, when mine are in daycare being raised by someone else and yet I am still getting nowhere.
well your kids are probably in daycare about 180 days a year. Compared to people who work in the private sector with 2-3 weeks of vacation a year, that's pretty good.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
No, the historical data determines that.

Your job is a noble and honorable one. You should be paid well. In some districts on LI, the pay is reasonable. In others, the pay is unreasonable. Teachers earning six figures is unreasonable, given the less than full time nature of their job and the value of their benefits.

Thank you.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 PM

217 posts, read 255,180 times
Quote:
Joseph
It sucks you are struggling, but as another poster said above, think of how badly you'd be struggling if you had to pay for day care those extra 2-3 months because you had a private sector job.

And just an FYI, I'm not sure about everyone else on this thread, but my "beef" is when the teachers are making over $100k. A teacher working 10 years and making $65k is not the reason taxes are so high.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM

100 posts, read 222,669 times
Dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I know your situation well, I'm living in it, but if you are struggling, imaging how a family with 2 private sector jobs making 50K each a year who has to send their kids to daycare all FRIGGIN YEAR feels. That would cost my wife and I an extra $2,500 a year. Meanwhile they have an 8K tax bill that is about 65% the result of school budgets.

The two of you together make 50K? What do you do? Maybe one of you should become a teacher LOL I pay the school taxes just like everyone else. As a matter of fact Im in a district where they were trying for a 27% tax increase. I think you should look at where the money really goes. Why dont you focus on administrator salaries. Not the hard working underpaid teachers.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island