Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,605 times

Advertisements

No, this isn't some kind of fuzzybrained existentialist question.

Nor is it meant to be sarcastic, snippy, nasty, belligerent, or what-have-you, in any way, shape or form. Just a straightforward question, purely out of curiosity.

To those here who dislike (or in some cases apparantly downright loathe) living on Long Island: Why are you still here? What is preventing or discouraging you from leaving?

May I ask people to observe a few simple groundrules, please:

1. Do not list all the things you hate about LI, the reasons you want to leave, why LI "sucks", etc etc. We've got plenty of those posts elsewhere on this forum, and it's not relevant to the question.

2. No need to go into any explanations about (or even identify) where you would rather live. We'll take it as a given that wherever it is, is "anywhere but here."

3. If you've already flown the coop, this question is NOT directed at you. It's for people who are still living here, but would rather not be.

So if you would rather live elsewhere, please tell us the reason(s) why you're still here today.

(Sincere straightforward question... hoping for some sincere straightforward answers!)

Thanks.

Last edited by 4StanleyCups; 08-14-2007 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Well the only reason why we are still here is b/c the S/O has 2 more years till she gets her degree. We feel that making a move with one good income would be risky. So in the meantime Im trying to save all I can & hoping my condo stays profitable. Then we are long gone from LI. WE CAN NOT WAIT!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,679 times
It is very difficult to obtain employment in another state while still having to sell your house in a tough market.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Just waiting until I retire in June to leave & sell my house in Babylon Village (if anyone is interested in buying a pretty home ).

Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Good question. Thanks!!!! I want to know the answer from the vocal minority.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Um Pizza?

C

Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
I'm not one of the gripers; I'm one of the happy folks. But I can tell you why I'm here: I'm here because I wanted to live in a place where every patch of green isn't pulled out and filled with cement; where any tree that has the audacity to thrive isn't encased to its trunk in concrete; where front yards aren't decorated with kitschy plastic animals and Marys-on-the-Half-Shell decorated with faded silk flowers (okay, the latter two probably can be found on the Island, but that's why I moved to a town where people have, er, more refined taste); and where I stand a fair chance of not seeing old Chinese women squatting at the curb to pee, while loudly squawking in their native dialect. A place where people grow old a bit more gracefully, rather than morphing into gnarly old and insane tree-like creatures akin to those found in the haunted forest of The Wizard of Oz.

That about sums it up.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Family's here, business is here and doing ok (don't want to start over somewhere else) and after researching a few areas have found that the LOCALS all complain about the same things as we do on LI. Examples, We can't affford to live here anymore, the taxes are killing us, the new people are messing up the area no matter how "cheap" we find that are to be.

Personally, I think we are in a national middle class funk where the middle class is just so pi$$ed off that we are on a perpetual rant because we feel so powerless in how to change our fate.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 AM

16 posts, read 43,968 times
I know why I'm still here...the beach. I share many of the same gripes that others do on this board, and sometimes it gets to the point where I want to tear my hair out and say "Why am I still doing this?" but I'm guess I'm a stubborn masochist, heh. I've been to a few other places in my (still young) life, and there's just too much here to give up, in my mind...proximity to Manhattan (where I was accepted into the grad school I've been wanting to go to for about three years), beaches and the boardwalk and actual fresh air (which still exists where I live), safety, and when it comes down to it, actual peace and quiet.

I'm sure I could find that in many other places, and I might end up uprooting at some point to newer pastures. But I'm not done quite yet with Long Island.

One man's humble opinion, at least

Old 08-15-2007, 07:48 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I LOVE where I live and feel very fortunate to live where I do, but the biggest reason for us remaining on the Island is my family, whom which I'm very close to.

Otherwise, we would relocate to Connecticut, Westchester Cty, PA or Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island