Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

From Newsday Mobile for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Quote:
A new wireless, handheld device will be tested on some Long Island Rail Road trains beginning Tuesday, allowing riders for the first time to buy tickets onboard with credit cards.
So now the LIRR hole punchers will be expected to work with a computerized device instead of making holes in little pieces of paper, as they've been doing for well over a century! Horrors! Do you think the union is going to ask for a raise for this change of duties? More importantly, I wonder how quickly they will be able to figure out a way to claim "disability" for an injury from this type of device ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 05:37 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
can the machine also not wake me to check my ticket after jamaica right after checking my ticket before jamaica. i hope so

Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
More importantly, I wonder how quickly they will be able to figure out a way to claim "disability" for an injury from this type of device ...
If they drop it on their foot?

Seriously though, this should prevent skimming the fares which is allegedly done withe the paper punch tickets, as well as allowing the cash-phobic to buy tickets. I guess this will still subject you to the higher on-board fare though.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
If they drop it on their foot?

Seriously though, this should prevent skimming the fares which is allegedly done withe the paper punch tickets, as well as allowing the cash-phobic to buy tickets. I guess this will still subject you to the higher on-board fare though.

Please elaborate on this.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I guess this will still subject you to the higher on-board fare though.
Yes it will.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 23,914 times
u can easily accept card payment on iphone those days.
guess how much mta spent on their new onboard payment system? what a waste.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau123 View Post
u can easily accept card payment on iphone those days.
guess how much mta spent on their new onboard payment system? what a waste.
I don't think I'd be comfortable handing my card to some guy with just an iphone. Who knows if they are skimming it.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 PM

110 posts, read 350,248 times
I can't believe they even still have the ticket punchers! For a company that has serious financial issues, they should have went to a turnstile system a long time ago. There is no need to keep all those people employed and then pay them pensions! For what, so they can punch your ticket? Really? It is 2011!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
^ u n i o n s

Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz298 View Post
I can't believe they even still have the ticket punchers! For a company that has serious financial issues, they should have went to a turnstile system a long time ago. There is no need to keep all those people employed and then pay them pensions! For what, so they can punch your ticket? Really? It is 2011!
Take a good look at the system, it's to large and open for such a turnstile set-up. In the NYC subway, you can't even enter the system w/out going through a turnstile, as most of the system is underground or elevated. If the LIRR put turnstiles at the station entrances, people can just circumvent them. Look how open the stations are. To combat that they would have to fence the whole system ($$$) from Manhattan to Montauk, and build large station/platform structures at every station, (NIMBY)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: