Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
ITD ITD started this thread

31 posts, read 46,091 times

Advertisements

Very helpful, dman72! Thank you.

We've done research into school quality, and came up with similar findings. It is helpful to know from a local with school are considered strong and which middle of the road, for comparison purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Very helpful, dman72! Thank you.

We've done research into school quality, and came up with similar findings. It is helpful to know from a local with school are considered strong and which middle of the road, for comparison purposes.

No problem. Of course, Sachem sends people to Ivy Leagus schools, so it's not like an exeptional kid would necessarily be "held back" by going to a school like that..their AP programs are excellent.

The biggest issue I've found when looking in Northport..apart from the scary looming tax issue..is that any non fixer-upper house under 500K seems to have a postage stamp sized lot.

I'm not sure what your budget is so that might have no bearing on your situation.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM

86 posts, read 234,652 times
I grew up in Bayport and went through the school district as well. I loved growing up in Bayport and have made some of the best friends of my life here. I now have three children (5,3 and 1) - my 5 yr old will start kindergarten in September in Bayport. We love the feel of Bayport- living in a town on the bay is such a huge plus for me. We walk the kids to the local bay beach and they love to crab, clam and fish. Can't forget the beautiful Ocean beahces just across the bay on fire island- I grew up on Fire Island, the ferries leave from Sayville and Patchouge right next door. Bayport doesnt have a downtown area to speak of but I love Sayville downtown which is just a mile or two away. summer time in Bayport can't be beat. My sister just finished sending her two children through the School district and both went to two of the best colleges/ Univerisites our nation has to offer.

I also lived in Blue Point after college and commuted into downtown NYC for 10 yrs before finally moving into NYC as the commute is horrible - took years off me ! This would be the only negative of this beautiful town- the commute to NYC is 2hrs each way door to door- 4hrs / day. You do have two train lines to choose from - montauk or Ronkonkoma. I left from Ronk as they had 'express' trains in the AM.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about Bayport /Blue point.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
In case you were not aware, reportedly, Bayport is the Hardy Boys hometown.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
ITD ITD started this thread

31 posts, read 46,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In case you were not aware, reportedly, Bayport is the Hardy Boys hometown.
As a Nancy Drew girl, when I had read that it was a strike against!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 AM

260 posts, read 451,131 times
BBP has outrageous taxes. Tough place to live unless you are a teacher, school administrator or cop. FIOS is available in Bayport but not Blue Point. Nice towns but overpriced.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM

59 posts, read 91,159 times
We are looking for a home in Bayport/Blue Point right now. I lived in Blue Point as a young adult when my parents moved from Queens and my husband grew up there. He will not even consider having our children go through another school district. The district is great, with a nice emphasis on science, which is what we are looking for.

After a little less than a year of looking, this is what I can say about househunting in this area. I don't know what your budget is, but anything other than a dinky cape is astronomically priced. Even those tend to have taxes of 12k or so. It's not an easy place to find an affordable home. We've been waiting so that we can let our downpayment grow some, out of necessity.

On the plus side, it is a great community with a very safe feel about it, and it is much nicer and more calming to live here compared to other places that I have lived on Long Island (which, to be fair, are not even in the same league).

Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
We are looking for a home in Bayport/Blue Point right now. I lived in Blue Point as a young adult when my parents moved from Queens and my husband grew up there. He will not even consider having our children go through another school district. The district is great, with a nice emphasis on science, which is what we are looking for.

After a little less than a year of looking, this is what I can say about househunting in this area. I don't know what your budget is, but anything other than a dinky cape is astronomically priced. Even those tend to have taxes of 12k or so. It's not an easy place to find an affordable home. We've been waiting so that we can let our downpayment grow some, out of necessity.

On the plus side, it is a great community with a very safe feel about it, and it is much nicer and more calming to live here compared to other places that I have lived on Long Island (which, to be fair, are not even in the same league).

Honestly, I've experienced that same feel in Kings Park. It's isolated from sprawl, yet you're ten minutes from Jericho Tpk Commack craziness to shop. You also have Smithtown on one side and Northport on the other. The ritzey areas of Smithtown SD (Nissequogue) make Bayport look like Levittown.

Lots of nice parks in Town of Smithtown (Kings park is in TO Smithtown). The schools are rated very similarly, and you average about $1,000 a year less in taxes for a similar house, although KP's taxes are no picnic either.

My calculation based on monthly payments with 4.5% interest on a mortage means that you're essentially paying 16K more for the same house in BP/BP vs Kings Park. Likewise, Hauppauge schools for instance, you can essentially pay $30K more than either of those places and have the same monthly payment. Something to think about. I realize Hauppauge has no "town" to it and is quite congested traffic wise, but it's all that commercial activity that keeps taxes down.

No knock on Bayport, I love that area, just talking numbers.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM

59 posts, read 91,159 times
We (well.. I) actually considered Northport, East Northport, Smithtown, and Kings Park for the area and the school districts, which are all great from what I've heard. I don't know too much about them, but I can easily believe what you say. We decided against them just because they were not convenient to our relatives for childcare purposes, not because of anything we perceived wrong with the areas. For the purposes of property taxes, I actually did consider Hauppauge for a little bit. The school district is not bad, just not quite what we were looking for.

Like I mentioned, my husband is dead-set for BBP now that we can theoretically afford to buy in the area. It hasn't been easy, though. I can offer some advice on the area just because of familiarity, although I don't know exactly how it stacks up against those north shore areas. Thanks for the info. I wish we had more flexibility with the childcare situation and proximity to relatives/work.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
We (well.. I) actually considered Northport, East Northport, Smithtown, and Kings Park for the area and the school districts, which are all great from what I've heard. I don't know too much about them, but I can easily believe what you say. We decided against them just because they were not convenient to our relatives for childcare purposes, not because of anything we perceived wrong with the areas. For the purposes of property taxes, I actually did consider Hauppauge for a little bit. The school district is not bad, just not quite what we were looking for.

Like I mentioned, my husband is dead-set for BBP now that we can theoretically afford to buy in the area. It hasn't been easy, though. I can offer some advice on the area just because of familiarity, although I don't know exactly how it stacks up against those north shore areas. Thanks for the info. I wish we had more flexibility with the childcare situation and proximity to relatives/work.
Proximity to free childcare trumps all numbers I can give ya. It's worth about 10K a year minimum per kid while the kids aren't in public school.

Hauppauge SD is rated in Suffolk County only slightly behind big shots Ward Melville and Half Hollow Hills, according to NYS public school rankings. It's better than OK. But, RT 111 sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island