Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 PM
ITD ITD started this thread

31 posts, read 46,091 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are relocating to Long Island and are trying to decide where! Based on schools, housing and type of town we've tentatively narrowed it to these towns.

What do locals think about these places??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
ITD, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Yes, I was using the terms casually. Definitely getting used to the Town/hamlet/CDP/unincorporated area nomenclature! We've been doing extensive research and visiting towns, but until you hear from insiders it's hard to know the real characteristics of a place.

Thanks for the input and the DM!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM

In case you were not aware, while the Hamlet of Bayport in the Town of Islip and the Hamlet of Blue Point in the Town of Brookhaven have a common border, the Village of Northport in the Town of Huntington is separated from the Hamlet of Kings Park in the Town of Smithtown by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga that is partially in the Town of Huntington and partially in the Town of Smithtown.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In case you were not aware, while the Hamlet of Bayport in the Town of Islip and the Hamlet of Blue Point in the Town of Brookhaven have a common border, the Village of Northport in the Town of Huntington is separated from the Hamlet of Kings Park in the Town of Smithtown by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga that is partially in the Town of Huntington and partially in the Town of Smithtown.
Yes- that much we figured out.

Interesting that Blue Point and Bayport share a high school but are in different Towns? As far as we can tell, Fort Salonga splits which school district between King's Park and E. Northport-Northport, depending in address.

We're really trying to get an insiders view of Bayport and Blue Point in particular. The schools seem to rate well using the metrics we can find. We know people who live in Northport and really like it. We liked what we saw in King's Park, and the schools seem strong. We had liked other areas but then learned negative things about their apparently highly rated schools.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Interesting that Blue Point and Bayport share a high school but are in different Towns?
Having a bi-town school district is not that unusual.

Having a bi-county, let alone 3 bi-county, school district(s) is a bit more unusual: the Cold Spring Harbor Central School District is partly in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County and partly in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County; the Farmingdale Union Free School District and the Amityville Union Free School District are both partly in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk county and partly in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.

NYS School Districts may be of some help to you in understanding the different school districts in New York State.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Hello!

We are relocating to Long Island and are trying to decide where! Based on schools, housing and type of town we've tentatively narrowed it to these towns.

What do locals think about these places??

Thanks!
I love the N Shore but Bayport/Blue Point hands down.
Schools are among the best on LI.

If youre bargain shopping KP is a hell of a value.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I love the N Shore but Bayport/Blue Point hands down.
Schools are among the best on LI.

If youre bargain shopping KP is a hell of a value.
We felt the same way about KP, seemed like a nice area. We loved the atmosphere of BBP- close to the beach, charming homes etc.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
We felt the same way about KP, seemed like a nice area. We loved the atmosphere of BBP- close to the beach, charming homes etc.
Pricey but beautiful.My favorite pocket of the South Shore other than the Hamptons.

Downtown Patchogue has come a long way lately .Nice to have in your back yard as well.

Crooks

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Both Kings Park and BP/BP have a community feel that can be hard to find on most LI. I know people who live in both areas and rave about them.

I don't really know as much about Northport but I'm guessing there is some of the same there.

As a house hunter myself, Kings Park is a more working class/lower end than BP/BP. Some of the neighborhoods are not as well kept as you might like. Even the neighborhoods with smaller houses North of Montauk in BP/BP seem to be slightly better kept. Just my observation, yours may vary.

Some people I know have thrown their noses up at KP because of some rougher looking people and their sloppy front yards. I don't really care that much about that as long as they are not my next door neighbors.

Blue Point has some RIDICULOUS taxes because it is such a small school district. $9000+ for a small ranch?

With Kings Park the only unknown is what the heck they are going to do with all that land sitting abandoned from the hospital. If some developer gets a big chunk of that and starts building homes, it could either help or hurt the tax situation depending on what is built.

Before buying in Northport SD, you might want to do some googling about LIPA's lawsuit against the school district. Right now Northport School districts taxes are ok. If LIPA gets even half of what they are looking for in that lawsuit, their taxes could go up above and beyond BP/BP taxes... a house with a reasonable 7500 tax burden could be up around 10K or more. Not good.

New York State std school rankings for the high schools, 2007 http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeR...year_2007.html
Northport 185.7
Kings Park 165.2
Bayport Blue Point 161.6

For comparisons sake, Ward Melville (considered one of the best)191.2
Sachem HS East (pretty much the middle ground for Suffolk districts by my barometer) 117.80

So all 3 districts are quite above average.

Last edited by dman72; 08-17-2011 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island