Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM

65 posts, read 462,232 times

Advertisements

Is one better than the other?

Are there significant differences between them, in any way?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,360 times
statistically, jericho's better, but you get more bang for buck in syosset/woodbury

Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 PM

33 posts, read 255,488 times
Smile Viva La Difference`

Syosset is bigger. It has more choices in its secondary schools. They offer more choices in class selection. More languages are taught and more AP exams are administered. It is more ethnically and financially diverse. Jericho is close knit. The High School graduating class is smaller but class sizes generally are equal. Syosset has the highest caliber music program on Long Island with the most children going to all-state programs. It competes in Division I sports so theoretically it's kids have a better chance of getting sport scholarships. Because of its class size, Syosset generally gets a very high amount of academic non need scholarships but percentage wise the numbers are equal.

Because of the ethnic diversity and financial diversity, Syosset has slightly less children go to a 4 year college, but both are in the high 90 percent. SAT and other standardized tests are averaged slightly higher in Jericho as well...same reason. Syosset has a superior SEPTA program. Jericho's is smaller.

In this case, the difference is in what you want. There is no doubt that in almost every case, you cannot go wrong in either school district. The area is rich with abundance when it comes to education.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlaw1 View Post
Syosset is bigger. It has more choices in its secondary schools. They offer more choices in class selection. More languages are taught and more AP exams are administered. It is more ethnically and financially diverse. Jericho is close knit. The High School graduating class is smaller but class sizes generally are equal. Syosset has the highest caliber music program on Long Island with the most children going to all-state programs. It competes in Division I sports so theoretically it's kids have a better chance of getting sport scholarships. Because of its class size, Syosset generally gets a very high amount of academic non need scholarships but percentage wise the numbers are equal.

Because of the ethnic diversity and financial diversity, Syosset has slightly less children go to a 4 year college, but both are in the high 90 percent. SAT and other standardized tests are averaged slightly higher in Jericho as well...same reason. Syosset has a superior SEPTA program. Jericho's is smaller.

In this case, the difference is in what you want. There is no doubt that in almost every case, you cannot go wrong in either school district. The area is rich with abundance when it comes to education.
Agreed depends on personal preference, but can't go wrong with either one. Both districts are not only among the best school districts on Long Island, but among the best in the entire country.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Jericho I believe is #1 on Long Island

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 27,198 times
Does anyone know of apartments in these 2 school districts? My daughter is currently in the 8th grade.
Thanks so much and have a good day

Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostme2003 View Post
Does anyone know of apartments in these 2 school districts? My daughter is currently in the 8th grade.
Not sure, maybe in the downtown areas of both areas, but I doubt their is very many. Both areas tend to be upper middle class for the most part, with the median incomes and home prices be a bit higher in Jericho. Though I could be mistaken, its unlikely you will find more than just a small number of apartments in either district.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostme2003 View Post

There are 3 apartment complexes in Jericho. Fairhaven is one, which is on 106, Jericho Townhouses is another, which is near the Circuit City, and there is a third, which is across the stree from BJ's on Brush Hollow Road.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 27,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not sure, maybe in the downtown areas of both areas, but I doubt their is very many. Both areas tend to be upper middle class for the most part, with the median incomes and home prices be a bit higher in Jericho. Though I could be mistaken, its unlikely you will find more than just a small number of apartments in either district.

how about the Oyster bay High school , any comments on this district? Thanks so much to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island