Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seriously? Hampton Bays? I don't think a bunch of rundown rental bungalows catering to the weekend beer throwing crowd would be "upper upper" at all. Nobody will put that town in a pecking order.

That's the problem with places like Remsenburg - it's on the wrong side of HBays and it's an extension of East Moriches more then "the Hamptons".

Go check house prices in Hampton Bays and tell me again how its not upper middle class. Show me these "rundown bungalows" that would be affordable to lower class people.

Comparing East Moriches to Remsenburg is like comparing Hoboken to North Caldwell. Just stop.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Not according to the Suffolk County Planning Department, who, on behalf of the New York State Secretary of State, maintain the official maps of Suffolk County, and as accepted by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Okay your right...and South of Montauk in Sayville goes to Connetquot

Do you interrupt peoples conversation's in public like "ACTUALLY NO I OVERHEARD YOU TALKING AND TOWN X IS ACTUALLY A HAMLET NOT A VILLAGE!!"

Or do you just do it online?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Go check house prices in Hampton Bays and tell me again how its not upper middle class. Show me these "rundown bungalows" that would be affordable to lower class people.

Comparing East Moriches to Remsenburg is like comparing Hoboken to North Caldwell. Just stop.
haha - I lived in EM and have friends who still live in the Bays. Maybe you should get to know the East Moriches / Eastport area a bit more. The folks that live there say the same exact things you say about Remsenburg and consider everyone else an "up islander".

Seems to me you should take your own advice and "check house prices". Remember - you can ASK anything you want. What you get is a whole different story.

According to MLSLI, the last 6 months of sales in Remsenburg:

$620,000 3/18/2011
$975,000 5/16/2011
$480,000 6/20/2011
$790,000 6/30/2011
$352,000 8/26/2011
$405,000 8/30/2011

with still 58 properties available... Doesn't look like the rich and famous are gobbling up your "top" area of the Hamptons.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
haha - I lived in EM and have friends who still live in the Bays. Maybe you should get to know the East Moriches / Eastport area a bit more. The folks that live there say the same exact things you say about Remsenburg and consider everyone else an "up islander".

Seems to me you should take your own advice and "check house prices". Remember - you can ASK anything you want. What you get is a whole different story.

According to MLSLI, the last 6 months of sales in Remsenburg:

$620,000 3/18/2011
$975,000 5/16/2011
$480,000 6/20/2011
$790,000 6/30/2011
$352,000 8/26/2011
$405,000 8/30/2011

with still 58 properties available... Doesn't look like the rich and famous are gobbling up your "top" area of the Hamptons.
Those all look pretty highly priced to me. For basic houses? come on. the 352,000 is probably a hovel for that money. I said several times it isnot for the rich and the famous - but impressive for the exact OPPOSITE reason. Normal houses with sky high prices. I even said it is NOT an overblown area of the Hamptons... Don't know how to make myself any clearer.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM

438 posts, read 831,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee123 View Post
Amongst hamlets and villages under Southamton, Shinnecock Hills and Tuckahoe are pretty close to the village of Southamton and have Southampton address. But they are north of the Hwy. Are those two more "blue collar" as mentioned by XLIGuy?
Just to clarify my point, I was talking about nearly 30 years ago, when housing was more affordable. Certainly these areas have changed and are too expensive for blue collar folks today.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Those all look pretty highly priced to me. For basic houses? come on. the 352,000 is probably a hovel for that money. I said several times it isnot for the rich and the famous - but impressive for the exact OPPOSITE reason. Normal houses with sky high prices. I even said it is NOT an overblown area of the Hamptons... Don't know how to make myself any clearer.
What I am debating is your contention of the exclusiveness - your quote was "Remsenburg is the most exclusive area of the Hamptons".

This is clearly not the case.

Additionally, your contention that all of Southhampton was "upper upper" end - even Hampton Bays. I'd be happy to link you recent sales there to help show how that isn't true either.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
What I am debating is your contention of the exclusiveness - your quote was "Remsenburg is the most exclusive area of the Hamptons".

This is clearly not the case.

Additionally, your contention that all of Southhampton was "upper upper" end - even Hampton Bays. I'd be happy to link you recent sales there to help show how that isn't true either.

It is exclusive. Going in circles here. Explain to me how it isnt exclusive.

How is Bays not upper middle class? You do know anywhere on LI is higher class than most of the nation, right?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,292 times
Quote:
Yes I have, and Remsenburg is more stunning, Simply because the houses are small, normal, and nothing too extravagant, yet the prices are still through the roof. Its Impressive, Also there are no stoplights that I know of...which means less congestion, And barely any stores/businesses. Its an amazing area compared to the rest of LI that has been overtaken with Urban sprawl and development. The main parts of the Hamptons you speak of are overblown tourist traps.

And as far as Walter goes - he also thinks people south of Montuak Highway in Sayville go to Connetquot schools

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and what you personally feel is the most desirable, however the OP asked if there is a pecking order in the Hamptons and the answer is yes.
If you are implying that people living in 20 million dollar estates in water mill, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, east Hampton, amagansett, wainscott, or Southampton village are wishing they had a 700k cape in Remsenberg I think that's laughable. My DH built homes and did renovations in Remsenberg, quogue, quiogue, Hampton bays, westhampton, ( lovingly referred to as worsthampton but everyone east of the canal) and you are right, it is beautiful there. It's just a lot more like Manorville than it is like Sagaponack.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It is exclusive. Going in circles here. Explain to me how it isnt exclusive.

How is Bays not upper middle class? You do know anywhere on LI is higher class than most of the nation, right?
Semantics - yes?

Even you should be able to admit that there's "exclusive" and "most exclusive". Remsenburg is clearly not the most exclusive area of the Hamptons. That's what I am saying and you keep dodging your own words.

As for the "anywhere on LI" comment... I don't even know where to begin with that fallacy. I didn't think it was possible to be more wrong then Remsenburg being the most exclusive, but you topped yourself. You're in Moriches/Shirley/Mastic in about 10 minutes from the "exclusivity" of Remsenburg. lol

Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM

34 posts, read 117,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinion and what you personally feel is the most desirable, however the OP asked if there is a pecking order in the Hamptons and the answer is yes.
If you are implying that people living in 20 million dollar estates in water mill, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, east Hampton, amagansett, wainscott, or Southampton village are wishing they had a 700k cape in Remsenberg I think that's laughable. My DH built homes and did renovations in Remsenberg, quogue, quiogue, Hampton bays, westhampton, ( lovingly referred to as worsthampton but everyone east of the canal) and you are right, it is beautiful there. It's just a lot more like Manorville than it is like Sagaponack.
As the OP, perhaps I should chime in. I live in the SF Bay Area, near Stanford University. Here in the Silicon Valley, the top tier towns would be Atherton, Woodside, Los Altos Hills, Portola Valley etc., where $3mil means a fixer, a not prime lot or an underwhelming house. second tier would be Los Altos, Saratoga, etc., where a somewhat decent condo is $700k and up.

After watching episodes of "Royal Pains", out of curiosity, I searched for properties in the Hamptons. As expected I found mansions (as seen on TV, LOL). But I was surprised to see quite a few homes in say Tuckahoe etc for $500k or so on 1/3+ acre and yet those houses have Southampton address. $500k sfh would be impossible to find and instant multiple offers (yes, even today) in 2nd tier towns in Silicon Valley. Heck, $500k condo would be consider bargains.

That triggered this thread, I was just trying to gain more insights on the Hamptons. It seems like east of canal and south of Hwy are prime, where entry price is around a mil. But east of canal, NORTH of hwy are very mixed, is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island