Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
A lease is really not necessary on the part of the tenant to prove anything. If you live somewhere (even if supposedly "staying temporarily" on the couch in someone's home) for 30 consecutive days, you have the right to claim that as your domicile and will have to be evicted to be gotten out, whether you were a rent-paying tenant or a guest.

If he tries to throw people out the way he thinks he can, the tenants can call the cops on him and they will make him let them back in until he does a proper eviction. It is also against the law to turn off services such as electricity, heat or water while waiting for an eviction to be ordered.
Yes I know without a lease it is technically M2M I was more talking about protecting the premises rather than the tenant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsd View Post
explain to me how this works....in detail.......

so they call the cops when they discover their belongings on the curb and say to the cop we lived here and he kicked us out. and I say to the cop, no they don't, I have never seen them before and I have no idea where this stuff came from.........please finish the rest of this story for me. thanks
They would know you are lying, given that you already admitted they have mail sent to the house and have a case for illegal eviction. Nevermind the fact that the rest of the tenants would probably leave because they know that you would throw them under a bus if push came to shove.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM

35 posts, read 60,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You have a single family house and want to turn it into a house with three illegal apartments?

Pray that you don't have an insurance claim!

I am planning nothing. The point of my post was to educate myself and get advice from people who have gone this route or thinking about going this route. Based on my research I will decide how I move forward. I understand how insurance works. I was looking for alternatives. ie, possibly turning the house into an investment property, maybe under a corporation where I cannot personally be sued.

"Understand that 85% of Suffolk apartments are illegal. 88% of Nassau apartments are illegal. The counties do not really do much about this problem due to the large shortage of affordable living space on Long Island."

I expected that the people who reply to my post would attempt to treat me like a criminal of some sort. I was really hoping that only experienced LLs would reply and not people with their own agendas.

with all due respect, moving forward,,,,,,,only respond to this post if you are a Landlord. PLEASE!!!!! thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:

so they call the cops when they discover their belongings on the curb and say to the cop we lived here and he kicked us out. and I say to the cop, no they don't, I have never seen them before and I have no idea where this stuff came from.........please finish the rest of this story for me. thanks
Unless you want to spend thousands going up against an arsenal of free lawyers provided to tenants, I'd advise paying them off to leave rather than executing the evil plan you have up your sleeve. They will most likely show the officers mail in their name going to your address and neighbors will verify they live there.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM

55 posts, read 160,094 times
Quote:

After your blatant lies, the illegally evicted tenants simply get proof, a witness or two, to confirm that they DID in fact live there and then you are Moderator cut: language removed

The end.

Seriously dude, give this up. What you are doing is already illegal and all you seem to want to do is break the law even further and potentially cause serious harm to anyone who would be unfortunate enough to become your tenant.

Oh and I AM a landlord with a LEGAL apartment who pays my fare share of taxes.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-07-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM

63 posts, read 270,894 times
Quote:

Do you really think that the cops would believe you???? "Oh officer I have no idea where this couch, bed, clothing, etc. came from. They must have just unloaded it on my lawn."

Clearly, people drive around in U-Hauls just unloading their belongings on stranger’s properties pretending to live there. It's an epidemic on Long Island!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaroutsos View Post
Do you really think that the cops would believe you???? "Oh officer I have no idea where this couch, bed, clothing, etc. came from. They must have just unloaded it on my lawn."

Clearly, people drive around in U-Hauls just unloading their belongings on stranger’s properties pretending to live there. It's an epidemic on Long Island!

"72% of tenants on LI do this. The state does nothing to fix this"

Duh.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Unless you want to spend thousands going up against an arsenal of free lawyers provided to tenants, I'd advise paying them off to leave rather than executing the evil plan you have up your sleeve. They will most likely show the officers mail in their name going to your address and neighbors will verify they live there.

evil plan? that's funny. I am painting a scenario where I have tenants that wont pay their rent and I want them out. But I'm evil.

Listen people. I was just throwing my situation out there. I read 100 times in 100 different places about the tenants rights. I am aware, but when i read these things they do not get into specifics. I provided specifics....the fact that there is no proof they live there in the form of documentation. I asked the question because i wanted to see if that made a difference. apparently it does not. However I will consult a lawyer to make 100% sure.

My hope is that it would never come down to that. Tenants be nice, pay their rent on time and i perform my LL duties and the world is perfect...but we all know the world isnt perfect. I just wanted to know what my options are.

Its funny how you guys are ready to jump down my throat for throwing my tenants out and changing the locks....i would NEVER do that unless i had a good reason.

So I guess I am supposed to do nothing but sit back for a year until they are legally evicted and lose 1000's of dollars? well if that is the case...id make their lives miserable every day they stayed. I woudltn get off on this....the goal is to get them out.....and get good people in there

Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
I am planning nothing. The point of my post was to educate myself and get advice from people who have gone this route or thinking about going this route. Based on my research I will decide how I move forward. I understand how insurance works. I was looking for alternatives. ie, possibly turning the house into an investment property, maybe under a corporation where I cannot personally be sued.

"Understand that 85% of Suffolk apartments are illegal. 88% of Nassau apartments are illegal. The counties do not really do much about this problem due to the large shortage of affordable living space on Long Island."

I expected that the people who reply to my post would attempt to treat me like a criminal of some sort. I was really hoping that only experienced LLs would reply and not people with their own agendas.

with all due respect, moving forward,,,,,,,only respond to this post if you are a Landlord. PLEASE!!!!! thanks
Where do you get those stats? That's ridiculous. And even if they were true, does it make it RIGHT?

BTW, I come from a family of real landlords (commercial property, large apartment buildings, etc.). I know what I am talking about. Being a landlord is not just free money to put in the bank and cheat on your taxes and toss your tenants on the street with no notice. Being a landlord is work and responsibility.

You're the one who is not a real landlord, just some guy who managed to scratch up the money to buy 1 home with an illegal apartment in it. My advice to you is sell the house instead of trying to do a triple illegal landlord out of it.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
evil plan? that's funny. I am painting a scenario where I have tenants that wont pay their rent and I want them out. But I'm evil.

Listen people. I was just throwing my situation out there. I read 100 times in 100 different places about the tenants rights. I am aware, but when i read these things they do not get into specifics. I provided specifics....the fact that there is no proof they live there in the form of documentation. I asked the question because i wanted to see if that made a difference. apparently it does not. However I will consult a lawyer to make 100% sure.

My hope is that it would never come down to that. Tenants be nice, pay their rent on time and i perform my LL duties and the world is perfect...but we all know the world isnt perfect. I just wanted to know what my options are.

Its funny how you guys are ready to jump down my throat for throwing my tenants out and changing the locks....i would NEVER do that unless i had a good reason.

So I guess I am supposed to do nothing but sit back for a year until they are legally evicted and lose 1000's of dollars? well if that is the case...id make their lives miserable every day they stayed. I woudltn get off on this....the goal is to get them out.....and get good people in there
Yes. That is what real landlords do. And they write the losses off on their taxes. Ooops! You're not paying taxes!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM

i clearly posted this in the wrong place on the wrong board......im trying to make money and provide decent affordable housing to good qualified people. I am no slum lord. This is a very big house that could have 6 people living there in 3 separate dwellings without any issues or safety hazards.

in my opinion, you are out of your mind for getting the proper CO and have your taxes go up 4K a year just so you can say i have a "legal" apartment. At the end of the day my "illegal" apartment is just as legal minus the paperwork and minus the 4K a year.

ill let you guys vent a bit more then ill pull this post and hop over to rich dad/poor dad where I can get some advice from some people who know how to make money and work arodun the BS.

People do this my friends..........I own a home...its mine...i can do what I want with it......maybe 3 units in one place is a bit much but 2 is not a big deal...ive done for 6 years adn it works just fine..........i was a tenant for 2 years in an illegal apartment..that worked just fine.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island