Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 PM

426 posts, read 959,971 times

Advertisements

My friend and I were having a discussion about what would be the fastest way to get into the city everyday on the LIRR if you live far out east....I am talking about areas around Exit 64 on the LIE....

Do you think it would be best to get on the train at PJS/Medford or Patchogue station to get into the city, or drive a few exits on the LIE to exit 60 to get to the Ronkonkoma station and take the train from there?

(He thinks taking the train from Patchogue station would be fastest, because even though you would have to probably switch trains, he thinks driving to Ronkonkoma station on the LIE, and then trying to find parking, and THEN getting on the train would take too much time...?)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Thoughts?
Yep. Get a job on Long Island.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,551 times
I can't answer your whole question, but the traffic between 64 and 60 on the LIE isn't that bad in the AM.

IIRC there aren't that many trains from Medford in the AM... Same for Eastbound to Medford in the PM...

Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM

426 posts, read 959,971 times
What about taking the train from Patchogue then? How is that service in the AM? Can't get a job on LI, my friend is a police officer and works in Manhattan, so he has to take the train there 5 days week....

Its much cheaper for him than driving bc he gets to ride the train for free and doesn't have to pay for gas money....

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,564 times
Quote:
My friend and I were having a discussion about what would be the fastest way to get into the city everyday on the LIRR if you live far out east....I am talking about areas around Exit 64 on the LIE....

Do you think it would be best to get on the train at PJS/Medford or Patchogue station to get into the city, or drive a few exits on the LIE to exit 60 to get to the Ronkonkoma station and take the train from there?

(He thinks taking the train from Patchogue station would be fastest, because even though you would have to probably switch trains, he thinks driving to Ronkonkoma station on the LIE, and then trying to find parking, and THEN getting on the train would take too much time...?)

Thoughts?
give up and use the jitney!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,564 times
Quote:
What about taking the train from Patchogue then? How is that service in the AM? Can't get a job on LI, my friend is a police officer and works in Manhattan, so he has to take the train there 5 days week....

Its much cheaper for him than driving bc he gets to ride the train for free and doesn't have to pay for gas money....
ohh!!!!!! Take the am train from riverhead DONE. MTA only cut weekend service

Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 AM

168 posts, read 314,466 times
I live off exit 63 in between Patchogue and Ronkonkoma stations and choose Ronkonkoma when I can take the train to work. Your freind being NYPD is probably required to work overtime on a moments notice, its important to look at the off beat schedules home. Patchogue and Port Jeff lines dont have the off hours service like Ronkonkoma and Babylon do. If you take Ronkonkoma you never have to worry about getting a train home due to being "off" schedule. Plenty of free parking and train service at ronkonkoma before 7am. Not sure about after that though.

Nothing worse than working a double and finding our there is no train service home to some offbeat station and having to pay for a cab. For those people who often work long and off beat hours the only real choices are Ronkonkoma, Huntington and Babylon

Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM

347 posts, read 1,351,855 times
Absolutely Ronkonkoma is the faster option. And plenty of parking, plus more trains. However, the diesel trains are a lot more comfortable so that could make it worth the extra time. But that only applies to Patchogue, not Medford. Really no point to taking Medford, as you get off at Ronkonkoma at the next stop anyway!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,155 times
Default hmm

I live off of exit 63 also . IT would be better to go out of ronkonkoma. Parking is much better Plus traffic starts maybe after 60 going west.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I live off of exit 63 also . IT would be better to go out of ronkonkoma. Parking is much better Plus traffic starts maybe after 60 going west.
Ronkonkoma is the best choice schedule wise.

Parking is an issue after 730 during the weekdays. You'll either be out in the "Shuttle Bus to Goofy" land, in the pay gararge or the private pay lot on the North side.

I'd recommend not parking in the dirt fields on the North side. Gets pretty desolate out that way and not much lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island