Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
surprised people consider Syosset "north shore" since it's the next town from dead center Plainview. Is Woodbury north shore? Or do you guys just mean north of center? Is Bethpage south shore?
I think it depends on what area you are talking about ...the part north of Jericho Tpke, closer to CSH is fairly far north....maybe people mean more a "north shore mentality"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM

65 posts, read 161,706 times
You should try the MLSLI site and put in the towns you have already thought about living in as well as your price range and other requirements and try to search that way. Glen Cove is a pretty bad school district, and I would not really recommend living there either. It has a lot of rentals and several illegal housing complexes with absentee landlords.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalibu24 View Post
You should try the MLSLI site and put in the towns you have already thought about living in as well as your price range and other requirements and try to search that way. Glen Cove is a pretty bad school district, and I would not really recommend living there either. It has a lot of rentals and several illegal housing complexes with absentee landlords.
Thats painting with a very broad brush.

Glen Cove is a large area with multi- million dollar homes down to public housing. While the schools are not the best, you could do worse.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I grew up in Oyster Bay and my husband, in Locust Valley. We moved to PA from Stony Brook and we both still have relatives and friends who have raised their children in our home towns, as well as in neighboring Glen Cove, Huntington (which is in western Suffolk) and Glen Head, with school aged children, so I am in a sound position to offer some advice.

The above posters are correct - Glen Cove and Oyster Bay offer you possibilities. The Oyster-Bay - East Norwich School District is above average, but not as stellar as neighboring Locust Valley or Syosset to the south. Most people in Syosset will say that they "live on the North Shore" but the geography tells quite a different story. I would "grandfather" Syosset into the North Shore. Locust Vally also does not have a shore, but no one argues that it is not a North Shore Community.

Glen Cove offers many homes in your price range. I disagree that you categorically can not use the public schools. The elementary and middle schools are fine. The High School is average and it's had some problems.

You need to know that Glen Cove is an ethnically and culturally diverse area. White Anglo Saxon Protestants,(WASPS) Italian Americans, Irish Americans, African Americans, Jewish Americans Polish Americans, Russian Americans have all historically resided with in the city, with The first six groups being the most populous groups. The Russian population has recently exploded, with newer immigrants drawn by the presence of several Orthodox churches in the area.
In the past twenty years there is also a sizable Latino presence. Middle Eastern and Asians and East Indians, comprise a smaller but significant presence.

I like this about Glen Cove, but it is something you should know.
I have a friend whose daughter recently graduated from GCHS and was accepted into every college to which she applied. She is currently attending George Washington University. She has three other children in GC schools from 5th grade through HS and they are all good students with many diverse friends.

I would not call Glen Cove a "private school area." by any means.
I would avoid the areas bordering the public housing.

MORE IDEAS - Bayville (Locust Valley SD)

East Norwich (Oyster Bay -East Norwich SD)

and perhaps Locust Valley - the area near Forest Avenue,
also has some
options. I would avoid the higher number streets, around 13th St.

Oyster Bay has stayed the same over the years. In any place other than Long Island, it would be thought of as a "good district".

The housing stock in all of the above places, is older - 1930s and earlier. Most of the homes were built to accommodate people who worked on neighboring "Gold Coast" estates.

East Norwich is sort of a "suburb of Oyster Bay" and has some "newer" i.e. post WWII homes, mostly smaller capes and ranches.

Bayville was once a summer retreat, and has a varied housing stock. The advantage of Bayville is the use of the Locust Valley Schools. The disadvantage of Bayville, is flooding during hurricanes. I would have flood insurance there.
If you have any questions about any particular street address, please do not hesitate to send me a direct message. I hope this helps!

~ Sheena

Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default MLSLI.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalibu24 View Post
You should try the MLSLI site ...
Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
There are some really nice options in Bayville and Locust Valley - both in the esteemed Locust Valley SD.
Found some wonderful homes in Oyster Bay and East Norwich too. That would be OB-EN District six.

There are many more in Glen Cove.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I always thought of the true North Shore as being anything north of 25A.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
I'd consider 90% of the area above the LIE in Nassau, "North Shore", ex- parts of Plainview, Melville.
South Shore- Everything south of Sunrise across LI and possibly even some communities south of the SSPkwy (or the Heckscher Pkwy as Google maps likes to call it now).

For under $500k North Shore check out Syosset, Oyster Bay, Port Washington..maybe Roslyn has a few.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
surprised people consider Syosset "north shore" since it's the next town from dead center Plainview. Is Woodbury north shore? Or do you guys just mean north of center? Is Bethpage south shore?
I think people used to lump North Syosset (Between Berry Hill and Split Rock Road extending well into Oyster Bay Cove) into a vague North Shore area. As Walter will doubtessy tell us, a good portion of Oyster Bay Cove is within Syosset School District. For the old timers, I am describing the area that used to go to Split Rock School!!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it depends on what area you are talking about ...the part north of Jericho Tpke, closer to CSH is fairly far north....maybe people mean more a "north shore mentality"?
And the parts of Syosset School District north of 25A would be considered North by most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island