Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:28 PM

38 posts, read 98,909 times

Advertisements

Just curious what places you can recommend to live within an hour and a half drive from the Farmingdale airport. I would only have to do the drive once or twice a week.

Like most others I am looking for boring safe area and good schools for three younger kids. I would be making around the 150K range.

Thanks for any help !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:11 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpflyn View Post
Just curious what places you can recommend to live within an hour and a half drive from the Farmingdale airport. I would only have to do the drive once or twice a week.

Like most others I am looking for boring safe area and good schools for three younger kids. I would be making around the 150K range.

Thanks for any help !!
Do you like rural or suburban?
Are you buying or renting?
Any particular groups of people/interests you'd like to be close to?
What's your rental/purchase budget?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM

Looking for Suburban Might rent first to see if we like an area then buy. Just looking for an area that has good schools and sports for kids. I guess just a nice area, prefer a place with some trails or just things to do outside. looking for a home or place with 4 bedrooms.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help !!
I suggest your first step should be to talk to a loan officer and find out what a lender says you can afford; income is only part of that determination.
Once you have that number (or a range at least) with an approx. amount allocated for RE taxes, posters here can start to make appropriate suggestions.

If you need referrals for a competent loan officer, I'm confident many of us here can give you referrals.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,787 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help !!
1.5 hours from Republic Airport? That's a really wide net. It gives you Manhattan to pretty much the tip of Long Island. You can also include lower Connecticut or Westchester. I make Farmingdale to Bridgeport CT in about an hour (no traffic). Even with traffic, Stamford, CT is under an hour.

Plenty of places in that large geographical area would fit the bill. It comes down to how much are you able/willing to spend on a home. As was mentioned, income is only part of the equation. Down payment, how much mortgage you qualify for, how much mortgage/tax payment you are willing to reasonable take on.

As a real basic suggestion, there are many area around FRG that should fit the bill. Farmingdale, Massapequa (north section), part of Babylon... all good areas with decent schools.

Going to the next level you have the Dix Hills school district (Dix Hills, Melville and parts of Farmingdale.) Many would consider it a "better" SD, but you pay for that in home price and taxes. In that same vein, you have places like Massapequa (Massapequa SD section) and Wantagh (Wantagh SD section).

Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the response. I have a home now and will be renting it out when and if I take this job on LI. I already qualify for a home over 600K but doesn't mean I want to spend that much if you know what I mean. I have looked at the taxes and utility rates so just checking if there are any cheaper options around with the one stipulation that I have to be able to make it there in an hour and a half.

Just wasn't sure with traffic how far from Farmingdale I could realistically look around.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,543 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I have a home now and will be renting it out when and if I take this job on LI. I already qualify for a home over 600K but doesn't mean I want to spend that much if you know what I mean. I have looked at the taxes and utility rates so just checking if there are any cheaper options around with the one stipulation that I have to be able to make it there in an hour and a half.

Just wasn't sure with traffic how far from Farmingdale I could realistically look around.

Thanks
If you want trails, go out to Suffolk County, in my opinion. Smithtown, St. James, Stony Brook, Setauket are all good areas, great schools, more property.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Thanks !!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:11 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,787 times
Quote:
Again, 90 minutes gives you quite a bit a leeway, even considering rush hour traffic.

That said, it would be practical not to extend you usually commute to that limit if you don't have to.

In the 500-600k range you have plenty of options.

Your traffic snarls getting to/from Republic Airport will basically be:

Immediate vicinity. Rt 110 can be a problem, especially going north. If your destination is west of Republic, your road options are more limited. If heading east, there are some workaround (Rt 109, New Highway, Wellwood Ave, etc).

The Southern State Parkway can be a mess at rush hour. Sunrise Highway offers a decent alternative headed east (it becomes a limited access road just east of Republic). Going west, you don't have many south shore options.

Going north, there is the LIE and Northern State. Heading west, your big snarl is going to be at Rt 106/107 and then at Glen Cove Road. After that, The city line/Cross Island Pkwy is the next big jam.

Going east, you will run into heavy rush hour immediately (from Rt 110 to exit 50). After that, the Vets Highway area (exits 56-57) get very heavy during rush hour.

To me, one of the advantages to working on Long Island is the elimination of a 1hour + commute. If I wanted to travel that much every day, I would have kept my office in the city.

Considering the above, there are a few places I suggest you start your search. This is a general suggestion as I have no idea what you are really looking for. Various sections of these towns can differ greatly, so what you see will depend on where you look.

- Massapequa in the Massapequa School district. Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford or Massapequa Park might also be good options. These are all south and west of Republic, but easy to get to/from.

- Farmingdale is worth a look. There are sections of Farmindale in the Dix Hills SD which may make sense for you. Melville or Bethpage are also worth a shot (like Farmingdale with better schools). These are essentially adjacent to Republic.

- Huntington has some nice homes. School district may be an issue for some.

- Elwood, Greenlawn area - a little north and east but still pretty close. Basically Huntington, but a better school district.

Republic is basically on the border of Nassau/Suffolk County. The same exact home in Nassau will cost you about 30-40% more in annual school/property taxes. (Although Suffolk is trying to catch up.)

What the other poster wrote about Smithtown, St. James, Stonybrook is all correct. You will definitely get more for your money out there. The cost is commuting time. Areas I mentioned above will be a 10-30 minute commute in the worst of traffic. St. James could be closer to an hour, maybe more with bad traffic/weather.

I did the long commute for many years. While I dealt with it all that time, I didn't realize how bad it was until I cut my commute down. A short commute is SO much better - less wasted time, less stress.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Lots of trails in the Town of Huntington, including Caumsett State Park and Uplands Farm Sanctuary.
Here's a link:
Trails Guide - Town of Huntington, Long Island, New York
http://www.huntingtonny.gov/filestor..._Sanctuary.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island