Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,283 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are house hunting and trying to narrow down our search area. We had initially started looking in Manorville and Center/East Moriches, but my husband is now working in Farmingdale and we're concerned about his potential commute if we buy out there.

I'm familiar with going the opposite direction - I drive from Levittown to William Floyd parkway every day and it takes between 40 minutes to an hour during rush hour, but of course the heavy traffic is usually going in the opposite direction.

Is anyone familiar with this commute or at least a chunk of it? I'm interested in hearing about both Sunrise and the LIE in this direction.

We've started to look for other locations but are finding that many of the areas that are "inexpensive" with good schools are on the north shore which we know often means a long commute anyways due to traffic.

tia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesun77 View Post
My husband and I are house hunting and trying to narrow down our search area. We had initially started looking in Manorville and Center/East Moriches, but my husband is now working in Farmingdale and we're concerned about his potential commute if we buy out there.

I'm familiar with going the opposite direction - I drive from Levittown to William Floyd parkway every day and it takes between 40 minutes to an hour during rush hour, but of course the heavy traffic is usually going in the opposite direction.

Is anyone familiar with this commute or at least a chunk of it? I'm interested in hearing about both Sunrise and the LIE in this direction.

We've started to look for other locations but are finding that many of the areas that are "inexpensive" with good schools are on the north shore which we know often means a long commute anyways due to traffic.

tia!

Oakdale merge is a nightmare.Manorville off the LIE isnt too too bad if you dont mind living off the LIE.

I do think youd be better served going up North in terms of QOL, value, commute and schools.

I'd go drive it out at rush. I bet its probably pretty close to equal.

Let us know what you find.Id be interested to hear first hand.

Crooks

Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the response. I do see the backup at the merge (going West-> East) every day so I know what you mean. My husband has a colleague who commutes from the north shore (I forget where) and he mentioned it sometimes takes him an hour and a half or more to drive to Farmingdale. I should also mention that we don't like the North Shore as much (I guess we are just south shore people), BUT we are still looking and not ruling it out completely.

We've considered testing the drive during rush hour..mainly I'm concerned that the day (or days) we do it would be the random days the commute is especially light (or heavy)! Not opposed to trying it though so if we do I'll let you know.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I do see the backup at the merge (going West-> East) every day so I know what you mean. My husband has a colleague who commutes from the north shore (I forget where) and he mentioned it sometimes takes him an hour and a half or more to drive to Farmingdale. I should also mention that we don't like the North Shore as much (I guess we are just south shore people), BUT we are still looking and not ruling it out completely.

We've considered testing the drive during rush hour..mainly I'm concerned that the day (or days) we do it would be the random days the commute is especially light (or heavy)! Not opposed to trying it though so if we do I'll let you know.

Im out in Rocky Point and its about 8 miles/15 min down Floyd but its wide open North of the LIE.

I know other people in RP, Miller Place and Sound Beach who go down 63 and its more like 25.

Go drive it out.I used to make Melville in about an hour on good days.

We love it out here becuase we love the beach/bluffs but Manorville is very nice too.
How about Ridge?

Best

Crooks.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:03 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
Quote:

tia!

My wife commutes and finds 9 times out of 10 Sunrise is better than the LIE. The LIE stops dead at exit 62 heading west by 8AM pretty much every morning. The nice thing is East of 62, traffic is light enough major time can be made up. So, If you live by CR51 for example, it might only add 15 minutes to your commute opposed to living right near Wm Floys Pkwy (Exit 68 LIE).

Manorville/Moriches is nice and a bit closer (Time wise) than points north. I'm not sure why you think areas north have better schools. They don't, but I would move east enough to not live in Wm Floyd, IMO. Manorville is getting built up and taxes are quite high. East Moriches/Center Moriches is a nice place to live.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Where in F'dale does he work? I work there too and it's a PITA to get where I am. If he's closer to or on Route 110 that will help, but don't underestimate how far from the LIE most of F'dale is, and don't underestimate the traffic on Route 110.

I live west of here so I've got nothing else to add, but I used to work with a guy who commuted from Manorville and if I remember correctly his commute was well over an hour each way.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone. This is very useful to have specific information about the sticky spots where the traffic is especially bad.

Good point about Farmingdale and proximity to the LIE. I think he is closer to 109.

I should clarify about the schools. We are not considering anything in the William Floyd district, onyly South Manor/Eastport and then CM/EM districts.

What I meant about the schools on the north shore is that out of the various areas in between our two job locations, the ones that seem to be the most affordable (to us at least) and have good school districts are often on the north shore. There are many other good districts in the middle, but in many areas we are at the very low end of the price range, which means the homes we can afford are often in not the best locations or need a ton of work.

If anyone has suggestions for other areas between Farmingdale and William Floyd Parkway with affordable homes (for us: $400k max and not too much work needed as that's the top of our price range), good schools, and a convenient commute in both directions, please feel free to suggest away.

When we drove out to Ridge we found the area not to be to our liking and I believe we had some concerns about the SD but I don't recall the details.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Good point about Farmingdale and proximity to the LIE. I think he is closer to 109.

Too far from the LIE. And 110 around the LIE is an absolute nightmare in the middle of the day should he leave early for any reason.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. This is very useful to have specific information about the sticky spots where the traffic is especially bad.

I should clarify about the schools. We are not considering anything in the William Floyd district, onyly South Manor/Eastport and then CM/EM districts.

What I meant about the schools on the north shore is that out of the various areas in between our two job locations, the ones that seem to be the most affordable (to us at least) and have good school districts are often on the north shore. There are many other good districts in the middle, but in many areas we are at the very low end of the price range, which means the homes we can afford are often in not the best locations or need a ton of work.

If anyone has suggestions for other areas between Farmingdale and William Floyd Parkway with affordable homes (for us: $400k max and not too much work needed as that's the top of our price range), good schools, and a convenient commute in both directions, please feel free to suggest away.

When we drove out to Ridge we found the area not to be to our liking and I believe we had some concerns about the SD but I don't recall the details.

Your observations about the school districts are mostly correct, IMO.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Some of the north shore traffic on 25A, Broadway, Main st sits on single lane roads with lots of traffic lights, so make sure you compute the time to your front door.
Moriches is pretty far out east too. I think you should be able to find something west in your price range with decent schools. Do you have to live on the shore ? If not, then you can check out Sachem SD or Connetquot SD also.
LIE sucks going west in the morning, I have done a commute from exit 59 and its a nightmare if you are not using the HOV. But its okay if you leave after 9 am when everyone is already at work LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island