Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 PM

123 posts, read 647,513 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are constantly debating about where to move. I want to head to NE, but he's still pushing for Suffolk. I know where I wouldn't want to go, but I'm not so sure about other areas.

I had associated "Moriches" with the Shirley-Mastic area but I see that Center and East Moriches have different districts? How do they compare? Pretty areas with decent schools or down at the heels?

Also what's the deal with Manorville and Eastport? Looking at the MLSLI, they seem lovely, but I've seen some negativity here. And what's up with the schools? Surely those scores at Newsday can't be right.

Any input would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 AM

No opinions on the various Moriches? How about I put it this way--If you could choose from the following, which would you prefer--Manorville, Eastport, East Moriches, Wading River, Yaphank--and why? I am quite ignorant about this area of Suffolk, so any opinions would be welcome.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
No opinions on the various Moriches? How about I put it this way--If you could choose from the following, which would you prefer--Manorville, Eastport, East Moriches, Wading River, Yaphank--and why? I am quite ignorant about this area of Suffolk, so any opinions would be welcome.

If youre looking in that area Id go North Shore:
Shoreham Wading River SD/Rocky Point SD/Miller Place SD

Manorville/Eastports is nice but South Manor Schools are very mediocre.
Wm Floyds a trainwrech so I'd avoid Moriches at all costs
East Moriches is nice...not too sure about the schools.

Yaphanks nice....I prefer Horse county in Ridge.
Longwood schools are fine.
C

Old 10-02-2007, 03:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Do schools matter?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM

Schools definitely matter. Since I don't particularly want to live on Long Island, if I'm going to stay here I want the community of my dreams (Sea Cliff, as an example). One of my prerequisites is that the school district be comparable, if not better than Levittown (MacArthur HS). Eh, I thought perhaps East Moriches might be nice. For now our primary area of investigation will be Sayville/Blue Point/Bayport.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
Sayville bayport/blue point is nice. east moriches can go to westhampton high school. nice small school also. If you are looking at sayville , do not even consider Longwood you will fly out of there in a heartbeat. Eastport south manor combined and made new schools , they have state of the art stuff in those new schools, That is an up and coming very nice school district. If you like east moriches sneak one town over to eastport and your taxes drop , because it is southhampton town. If you can afford it westhampton beach is the place to live, have you ever been to the town? it gives the small town feel the way Long Island used to be. The beaches and dune road are 5 min away. Take a ride you will be pleasantly surprised. I grew up in sayville and the town has changed, it still is nice but there are to many people keeping up with the joneses,if you know what I mean. Head east if you can!!!!!!! still unspoiled. Go past center moriches and you are set.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
East Moriches is nice. I would move there. They don't have their own high school, so your kid gets to pick between Westhampton, South Manor, and Center Moriches.

Center Moriches is ok as long as you're south of Montauk. If you go north of Frowein you'll see a ton of run down houses being rented to illegals (check out Chichester and Railroad Ave, they're bad). There's only one part north of Frowein I'd consider. Look at Wilcox Farms (right near the Waldbaums) that is nice, so is the area down Bellevue Ave

Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 114,145 times
Please Advise On Schools In Center Moriches-
Home We Are Interested In Is South Of Montauk Hwy- Down Union Ave?
Any Info Would Be Great.
Thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 25,487 times
Quote:
My husband and I are constantly debating about where to move. I want to head to NE, but he's still pushing for Suffolk. I know where I wouldn't want to go, but I'm not so sure about other areas.

I had associated "Moriches" with the Shirley-Mastic area but I see that Center and East Moriches have different districts? How do they compare? Pretty areas with decent schools or down at the heels?

Also what's the deal with Manorville and Eastport? Looking at the MLSLI, they seem lovely, but I've seen some negativity here. And what's up with the schools? Surely those scores at Newsday can't be right.

Any input would be welcomed.
Eastport is WONDERFUL! Their school is K-12.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

40 posts, read 196,339 times
Default Center Moriches

I grew up in Center Moriches and went to the public schools there. I loved it. I did well and went to a great college. I believe that schools are important to a degree but what happens in the home is what really affects the child's success.

CMo is a great place to live, especially if you are on the water. The best streets to live on IMHO are Lake Avenue and Union Avenue. It has a small town feel and I loved graduating with a small class (61 kids..but that was in 1990).

East Moriches is also a wonderful place to live. I know they have their own elementary but then I think you need to pick either Center Moriches, Eastport or Westhampton for HS.

Either way, they are both great towns...as are Eastport and Manorville. All north shore folks will tell you to ignore all south shore towns and move north..there is such a rivalry between the north and the south. It's so silly. Both have their good and bad points. I myself like the ocean more than the sound which is why I live on the south shore to this day. But I do appreciate the beauty of the north shore, especially in Nassau county.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island