Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontesi View Post
In other words, you want to scam the guy who gave you a roof over your head for a pretty modest price.
Go sue him and see what happens. Chances are, you don't even know the real condition or have no knowledge of the CO's that pertain to the property since they're not available online.
We'll see how much you end up paying once they counter-sue you.
I would bet that you are a landlord. And a professional one at that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,638 times
Did you know that you were renting an illegal apartment? Not that it really matters in the state of NY, but if you didn't know/accept the fact that it was illegal it probably won't matter depending on the following. Did a broker show you this apartment? If so, you might be able to sue them for not doing due-diligence. Real Estate Brokers in NY State must follow the rules: They can't rent illegal apartments. They have to check if an apartment is legal. You might actually recover all monies spent. Depending on locality and judge.
In New York State there are laws/regulations/codes. Depending on where you live there are laws specific to your location. If you are renting in an ILLEGAL apartment you probably cannot recover rent that you already paid regardless if you didn't know that it was illegal. Tenant/Rules go out the window for some reason. However, if you stop paying rent in an illegal apartment and your landlord takes you to court to evict you for not paying rent there is nothing he/she can do. That's the good news. No, you cannot get your rent money back, but your landlord cannot recover non-payment of rent if he is renting an illegal apartment. Eviction has to be a court order. Your landlord cannot lock you out, turn off utilities, enter your apartment unless it is an emergency. They have to go through the court system to evict. Go to the Building Department in your city and find out if there is a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion if they have renovated. Find a lawyer who will work Pro Bono or "free". I found one in Brooklyn and I won a case. Do your homework. Keep records. You can record a conversation between yourself and your landlord only. Good Luck and welcome to New York!

Old 02-17-2015, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
I am being asked to move after an electrical fire my belongings where ruined. My landlord was furious at me for calling fire department so he said I have to leave ok so a week later he asked for rent I didn't pay now I'm being summonsed. I've never Ben evicted what do I do

Old 05-13-2015, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
I live in a basement obviously is an illegal apartment but I have 2 years without paying rent to landlord. Does the landlord still has to give me the money I paid her before I stop paying if I get evicted. And the landlord wants to take the stove can she do that. Paterson NJ

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM

400 posts, read 761,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline1098 View Post
I live in a basement obviously is an illegal apartment but I have 2 years without paying rent to landlord. Does the landlord still has to give me the money I paid her before I stop paying if I get evicted. And the landlord wants to take the stove can she do that. Paterson NJ
What is wrong with you

Old 10-12-2015, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
I live in Philadelphia and i am living in they back of the house. I have a bathroom, vanity w/water, and micrwave & shower. I pay 600.00 per month and i am in a wheelchair. I used live off the other tenants water and lights until recently. There are steps which i cannot navigate...does my landlord have to remodel for my handicap and am i entitled to any refund?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
Hi, what is the # you called?

I am on the opposite side of the fence.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicialioness View Post
I live in Philadelphia and i am living in they back of the house. I have a bathroom, vanity w/water, and micrwave & shower. I pay 600.00 per month and i am in a wheelchair. I used live off the other tenants water and lights until recently. There are steps which i cannot navigate...does my landlord have to remodel for my handicap and am i entitled to any refund?

The landlord has to let you remodel for your needs - at your expense. And when you leave, you would/could be expected to return the rental the way you found it.

Why would you be entitled to a refund?

Old 11-13-2015, 12:59 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,146 times
Tenants do this all the time. They knowingly move into an illegal apartment, fail to pay rent, then pull the repairs/illegal apartment bs to scam rent for months on end. Then it's onto the next apartment.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
Okay, I live in an illegal apartment and my landlord when through my stuff and she told me to get rid of it! I called her out on it! That she couldn't go though my things non the less tell me what I can and can't have. She told me I was unreasonable even though I had to endure mice and chemically breathing in fumes at some point of the years I've been there. I know it was stupid to rent from her but she was someone I knew for a long time and I don't make enough to rent a real apartment and have a son. Now she wants me out using the excuse of her relative needed to stay there for 3 months for work which I think is bull**** because there's no bed or couch if I leave. Do I have any rights or am I going to homeless?

Last edited by scaredhomeless; 10-18-2016 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island