Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 AM

195 posts, read 310,616 times

Advertisements

i still use the A/C..but we have almost no windows..living in a basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 AM

344 posts, read 717,931 times
Jeez people. Do you really all need to fine tune and micromanage the temperature such that there are only a handful of days per year where you DON'T have some warming or cooling?

Whatever. It's not me paying your heating/cooling bills.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question but do you need a vent for that kind of fireplace?
Yes the code requires a vent. My fireplace has three sides in the room and the fourth side (and vent) are against the wall. It vents out the side of the house. I had expected some soot there but after 8 years it's still clean.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
If you want cold go to chicago in the winter. It's not that cold out

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM

257 posts, read 608,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Yes the code requires a vent. My fireplace has three sides in the room and the fourth side (and vent) are against the wall. It vents out the side of the house. I had expected some soot there but after 8 years it's still clean.
Thank you!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM

137 posts, read 249,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I lit the pilot on the boiler yesterday, tried each thermostat to see they all called for heat, then turned them all down to abut 55 (just in case). Going to bed last night, my bedroom was warm, go feel the radiator, it was hot. I look at the boiler, and the zone valve got stuck open. I suppose this is why I test the system.
Yeppers, love those glitches! Though, better now than during a real nasty cold spell. Radiators... Trade ya?! I love those, grew up with them in a steam heat system. Those things stay nice & hot for hours after the boiler turns off. It's my understanding that radiators have enjoyed a bit of a comeback lately. My house has baseboard, very efficient, fast, and even temps, but I'd always kinda wanted to put radiators in. Ah well...

We've got a cleaning & tuneup scheduled for ourselves this weekend -oh wow- quality family time, eh? I usually end up doing the brush work on the plate section as my arms are slimmer and reach a bit further. Was it last year, or the one before, where that poor fella got his arm trapped in the plate section? Awful story as I recall.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Jeez people. Do you really all need to fine tune and micromanage the temperature such that there are only a handful of days per year where you DON'T have some warming or cooling?

Whatever. It's not me paying your heating/cooling bills.
nothing on here, its the free season. Today I bought a $12 pair of slippers, there's my heat.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyriel View Post
Yeppers, love those glitches! Though, better now than during a real nasty cold spell. Radiators... Trade ya?! I love those, grew up with them in a steam heat system. Those things stay nice & hot for hours after the boiler turns off. It's my understanding that radiators have enjoyed a bit of a comeback lately. My house has baseboard, very efficient, fast, and even temps, but I'd always kinda wanted to put radiators in. Ah well...

We've got a cleaning & tuneup scheduled for ourselves this weekend -oh wow- quality family time, eh? I usually end up doing the brush work on the plate section as my arms are slimmer and reach a bit further. Was it last year, or the one before, where that poor fella got his arm trapped in the plate section? Awful story as I recall.
Well, not real radiators, those '50's sorta half in wall convectors, and baseboards in the house too. Not quite like the old cast iron stuff, but still better than the forced air heat I grew up with.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
i still use the A/C..but we have almost no windows..living in a basement.
Several people on this forum are.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:25 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
"Northern Tool Company)" (Google search their catalog)Sells a pellet stove you put in a window just like an AC for warming small spaces,not too cheap but should pay for itself if oil prices stay high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: