Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

I don't want to live in Florida. Easier to get a job in NYC, much better pay for us teachers, and my boyfriend lives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
I don't blame you , not a big fan of Fla. Sorry, but your aunt is wrong. I would really leave ASAP.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
If I were your dad, I'd burn the Florida house down!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeIsTheManlyMan View Post
Yeah...because having my father, who was by far the main breadwinner in the family, die right after I graduated college and giving whatever savings and credit cards I had at the time to my mother to pay off my father's medical bills (and her having to declare bankruptcy regardless) has shielded me from learning how this so-called 'real world' works. Hence the whole, "she doesn't really mind if I stay there for a while" mentality.

Sorry, sorry...no way for you or anyone else on this board to know that. But I had to get it out there...I hate people questioning my credibility.

But regardless of that, good for you about your house, seriously...can I hire you to give a pep talk to some of my friends who really need it?

-E
My mother dropped dead when I was 16, leaving me, my sister, and 6 year old brother. I dropped out of high school to work and support them, hence the GED. I slept on the floor of our living room for 2 years. I didn't have the luxury of college, someone needed to add income to the house to take care of the younger kids. My dad went bankrupt as well. He was a janitor, then lost his job 3 years later. I used to blame everything on that, but only YOU are responsible for your success. A great teacher I kept in touch with taught me that.

Every time I would lament about not having a car, not having a job, not having a nice place to live because of the circumstance, I would remember there are TONS of people 10x worse off than me. Once I stopped placing the blame on the out of my control death of my mother, I was much, much more successful.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Wow, you've been through a lot. That must have been hard. You're right about thinking how others might have it. So many think we have it so bad, when in fact there are people sleeping on the streets everyday with no food at all. When I'm upset, I try to think that it could be a lot worse.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
That teacher pushed me with that great advice... I was always "poor me", always blaming my problems on outside things. No one could have given me better advice than "Stop feeling sorry for yourself, only you can change things". It sounded so harsh at the time, but it was true.

My entire family pulled out of that, I have faith that anyone else can if they work hard enough. My sister and I still help support my father and brother. We will have to for years, but that's just the way it is. We will be helping HIM buy an apartment next year (funny, since it's usually the other way around) and I couldn't be happier to help him.

If you have the drive and are willing to put up crap, you can usually get whatever you want. But it won't be easy, you might have to work a higher paying job, with a longer commute, to be able to afford what you want.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That teacher pushed me with that great advice... I was always "poor me", always blaming my problems on outside things. No one could have given me better advice than "Stop feeling sorry for yourself, only you can change things". It sounded so harsh at the time, but it was true.
Seriously, this is very true for all of us. We all have our negatives in life and we also have our choices. We can choose to work 60 hour weeks and make money instead of being there for our children, we can become lazy and complacent and then blame 'fate,' or we can soldier on and try to make the best choices we can based on what is happening.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
I worked on an oncology unit for 3 years. I always think of the patients that really have so many medical problems.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I own a home. In Lindenhurst. Yet, I never felt an entitlement to have a home. I'm the first person in my family to be a homeowner, and it was through hard work.

I would LOVE to work at a non-profit with animals. It would be incredibly fulfilling for me. Instead, I work my corporate job so I can pay the bills. It's a trade-off that a lot of people my age (20's), don't want to accept.
Good for you....I like Lindy.

Its got blue collar charm and nice people.

C

Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Wow, you're a bitter old man, huh?
Its that nagging yeast infection thats got me down.

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island