Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 PM

26 posts, read 40,336 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hired a local LI firm to reduce our taxes.. They told us it would take about a year before anything happens...

Subsequently we moved to a new home. I informed the buyer that this was in progress and provided them w/ the contact details and company information.

About 6 months later, at my new home I got a letter from the service stating that they were successful in reducing the taxes somewhat and sent an invoice. Thus far I have ignored these, assuming they will be contacting the new owners...

Has anyone else been in this situation? I really dont want to have to pay this rather large bill.. I doubt the new owner would simply pay it.. He was a douche bad at the closing and almost walked away..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
"I hired a local LI firm to reduce our taxes."

You hired them, you pay the bill.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeastoftinagra View Post
Hello,

I hired a local LI firm to reduce our taxes.. They told us it would take about a year before anything happens...

Subsequently we moved to a new home. I informed the buyer that this was in progress and provided them w/ the contact details and company information.

About 6 months later, at my new home I got a letter from the service stating that they were successful in reducing the taxes somewhat and sent an invoice. Thus far I have ignored these, assuming they will be contacting the new owners...

Has anyone else been in this situation? I really dont want to have to pay this rather large bill.. I doubt the new owner would simply pay it.. He was a douche bad at the closing and almost walked away..

Most likely you signed a document when you hired the company = contract.

Unless you get the new owner to pay for half his future savings, it'll be your responsibility to pay the bill.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 PM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
My old owners did the same thing. They had the company send us (the new homeowners ) the bill. I basically said, you don't have my signature, I'm not paying. The whole thing was ridiculous.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Your contract probably states you owe even if you sell the house.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
you are supposed to sign it over to the new homeowner

Old 04-27-2015, 09:30 PM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeastoftinagra View Post
Hello,

Did you have them sign the paper to assume the bill in case there is a reduction ??? The same thing happened with me and i had the buyer sign the piece of paper.

However after the reduction - i got the bill and i faxed over the information of the new owner along with the signed copy and thats it - i was done with it.

I hope you got that paper signed by the buyer.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
As the buyer, I wouldn't sign it even if it they presented it. Am I obligated? It's not hard winning on your own and keeping it all for yourself.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
As the buyer, I wouldn't sign it even if it they presented it. Am I obligated? It's not hard winning on your own and keeping it all for yourself.
Because it is after the fact. It is too late for you to file for that year.

So lets say he already won the tax refund of 5k. You either pay him $2,500 or he withdraws it and you pay 5k more in taxes. But if it is still time to file on your own screw him

Old 05-21-2015, 06:40 PM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Nope, not obligated at all. The person that signed off is responsible to pay. By the time that bill comes, it's too late for anyone to Change their mind, the discount is already in the works. We always grieve on our own, no way I was going to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: