Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 AM

236 posts, read 473,798 times

Advertisements

I guess the Hub won't be as dynamic as some people were led to believe. Hey, just don't scrap that bowling alley!

Ratner says Nassau Hub not suited for housing, offices, technology companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Which is what many have suspected. The place just cannot attract large business tenants especially with so much empty office space lying around. And it won't help once all that additional real estate in Manhattan comes to market over the next decade. So much for working in LI.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
and this is what happens when you get in bed with Ratner.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 PM

/\/\

It won't make a difference whoever they commission to study the hub. I don't think Ratner is lying when he said that there is a lot of vacant offices on LI. They will all arrive at similar conclusions. Too much empty office space, too much competition for tenants from NYC.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
There was a lot of hubbub in the recent past about using some of the space for Hofstra University Medical School and the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, however this does not fit in with the theme of Ratner's proposal at all, so that would have split the development into two things, and probably if they wanted to do this, they should have not chosen Ratner at all.

However doing that have could aided the development of a biotech cluster. However, Ratner said it was "too hard" to do when asked about it. Considering it is not his area of expertise, it seems he did not want to even bother with any of it. No surprise to me.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM

15 posts, read 26,098 times
Am I missing something? When did anyone propose offices at the site? All the RFP's were for an arena upgrade, parking, entertainment and retail. High tech and business incubation was for whatever worthless sliver of developable property was left after the mall, skating and bowling and even then was just BS to appease the arena holdouts.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:51 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There was a lot of hubbub in the recent past about using some of the space for Hofstra University Medical School and the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, however this does not fit in with the theme of Ratner's proposal at all, so that would have split the development into two things, and probably if they wanted to do this, they should have not chosen Ratner at all.

However doing that have could aided the development of a biotech cluster. However, Ratner said it was "too hard" to do when asked about it. Considering it is not his area of expertise, it seems he did not want to even bother with any of it. No surprise to me.
No surprise to me either. After all, he has every right to pursue whatever he feels is most profitable at the site. My issue is with the county.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I agree with him it is too hard to do on Nassau. You would need not only lots of top notch and commercially ambitious scientist-entrepreneurs, but also a huge amount of government incentives and access to capital markets. Rochester has been trying for years but its biotech startups eventually leave for NYC or Boston where they can scale up and go public plus get some form of subsidies.

NYC has entered the picture so the field is getting crowded:

New York Emerges as Biotech Hub but Hurdles Remain | Commercial Observer

If Nassau tries to do biotech, it will be getting into a game where it will be at a disadvantage. And even if Nassau does decide to get into biotech, it will take many many years to put all the pieces together. Meanwhile people need jobs now.

Now Ratner has stated what cannot be done and he is right. What he did not state is what can be done, apart from sports and entertainment and all the $9-$15/hour jobs it will create. That's something country officials will have to think really hard of.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I agree with him it is too hard to do on Nassau. You would need not only lots of top notch and commercially ambitious scientist-entrepreneurs, but also a huge amount of government incentives and access to capital markets. Rochester has been trying for years but its biotech startups eventually leave for NYC or Boston where they can scale up and go public plus get some form of subsidies.

NYC has entered the picture so the field is getting crowded:

New York Emerges as Biotech Hub but Hurdles Remain | Commercial Observer

If Nassau tries to do biotech, it will be getting into a game where it will be at a disadvantage.
Especially when the land at question is located within the borders of the notoriously non-progressive, obstructionist Town of Hempstead ... the entity that killed the original Lighthouse plan for the site. Then anything new has no chance.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 PM

15 posts, read 26,098 times
Quote:
Especially when the land at question is located within the borders of the notoriously non-progressive, obstructionist Town of Hempstead ... the entity that killed the original Lighthouse plan for the site. Then anything new has no chance.

Biotech?!?! This is ToH. We'll be lucky to get an Applebees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island