Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm living in Lynbrook. I know that there are a few vets nearby but I'd like to get a recommendation instead of just going based on proximity. My dog is almost 14 years old and has severe hip arthritis. She was doing well on her current meds but seems to be getting a little worse again. Anyone have a suggestion for a good vet in Nassau County. Near Lynbrook is a plus, but am willing to go to other towns.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,041 times
Hey, sorry to hear about your dog. I feel so bad for him. I don't know of a vet nearby for you. BUT I have a vet in Hicksville and absolutely love them. The name is Island Tree's Veterinarian. Their phone number is 516 735-0090. The doctor's there are wonderful. I've been taking my animals there for years...

Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 AM

231 posts, read 960,453 times
You should look into acupuncture for your dog's hip arthritis. I can recommend a vet that does it - but she is in Suffolk. If you are interested contact me via pm.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM

177 posts, read 892,994 times
Good luck with your vet search. I have a great one in Oceanside: Stuart Gower at Woods Avenue Animal Clinic. My cat has been going to him every few months for over 2 years and he's fantastic.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:28 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times
Thanks! I'll definitely check those out.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM

185 posts, read 1,215,836 times
Dr. Webb @ brookville Animal Hospital...i think on glen cove road...Similiar situation on my end and she has the most wonderful bedside manner that I thought I would never find anyone like the vet I had before we moved a year ago. Also, she makes housecalls--worst case scenario--and even more suprisingly, they are not outrageously priced! Good Luck

Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 PM

103 posts, read 377,708 times
When we were living in Baldwin a friend had suggested:

Terry Animal Hospital
3 Washington St
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
516-764-2880

They're pretty close to Lynbrook. We took him there for his annual checkups and really liked them. However, we (luckily) don't have any experience with their service beyond routine checkups.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Here is a good vet with reasonable prices. She also has some long-time employees that I've known for the whole time I've been going there, which is 10+ years (I think it says something when a business can keep employees a long time). Dr. Ratner, Island Park Animal Hospital, 4417 Austin Blvd., Island Park, NY, 516-431-4300.

Here are vets to avoid at all costs: Central Veterinary Associates, 73 W. Merrick Rd., Valley Stream. Here is why: they are a ripoff that I have personally experienced and have heard a lot of ripoff stories about them.

Once my cat had some bleeding by her behind and it looked bad. It was a Sunday and my regular vet (mentioned above) was not open. I knew Central Veterinary Associates was one of the few vets that were open and they are very close to me, so I took her there. They had me fill out a big application that even included my profession. Hmmmm. Kinda nosy. So the vet examines her and tells me that he thinks it is a ruptured anal gland. He makes up this estimate that he wants me to sign that included things like sonograms, $50 a day "medical boarding" and lots of other things that came to about $1,200 (NOT including medications). I asked him if it was an emergency and if he was going to do surgery on her right away and he said it could wait until tomorrow afternoon. So I figured, get the heck outta here NOW, and take her to the regular vet. I paid for the office visit ($60) and told him I couldn't afford $1,200 and left. I beeped my vet and she called back and she said it looks worse than it is and to bring the cat in early the next morning. So I take the cat there and the vet stitches her up. Grand total? $115! Yes, $115 versus $1,200 just to start.

PS: the cat is now old as the hills and the $115 stitches haven't popped yet!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,011 times
I live a little far from the Animal Hospital of the Rockaways but I have been going there for 32 years.Both Dr Simon And Dr Rogoff have always made my pets feel special,and I have always gotten a clear outline of the problem at hand and all the treatment options.They have always been profesional and do not offer come ons and gimics to attract clients.I think that they are the largest hospital in the Rockaways because of referals( I have referred many friends there) The office seems to be newly updated,but it is like home when I go there.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Hey, sorry to hear about your dog. I feel so bad for him. I don't know of a vet nearby for you. BUT I have a vet in Hicksville and absolutely love them. The name is Island Tree's Veterinarian. Their phone number is 516 735-0090. The doctor's there are wonderful. I've been taking my animals there for years...
isnt island trees in levvitown? I used to go there but I found a much nicer vet in amityville on sunrise highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island