Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 05:45 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times

Advertisements

What part of the Lake Ronkonkoma is in Smithtown, and Islip???

by looking at a map I can only guess that the tiny section south of the LIE would be in Islip but correct me if im wrong. The Smithtown part always got me. Does anyone know the exact lines?

I don't trust wikipedia. I can change it to be in Wyoming If I wanted it to.

Whenever I see anything on Lake Ronk in the newspaper - it is always being handled/controled by the town of Brookhaven.

WALTER COME TO MY RESCUE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
The town line is on Rosevale Avenue, about 1/4 mile south of Smithtown Bypass. Islip is south of that line, Smithtown north. ALso, that is just Ronkonkoma, not Lake Ronkonkoma....technically two separate towns, separated by the lake. The town of Brookhaven is on the east side of the lake. It's a weird division for sure, with 3 different townships basically surrounding the lake.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM

160 posts, read 316,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post

WALTER COME TO MY RESCUE.
The funny thing is, if you'd have asked something about which area has better schools or nicer homes, he'd have been here 3 seconds later with your map.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
The town line is on Rosevale Avenue, about 1/4 mile south of Smithtown Bypass. Islip is south of that line, Smithtown north. ALso, that is just Ronkonkoma, not Lake Ronkonkoma....technically two separate towns, separated by the lake. The town of Brookhaven is on the east side of the lake. It's a weird division for sure, with 3 different townships basically surrounding the lake.
Thanks. I always knew that the east side of the Lake was a different town/hamlet of Lake Ronk, but wasent sure where the Smithtown part was.

And Gordon you are dead on! lol...how dare I have general curiosity!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Note: the following map is is from the Suffolk County Planning Department and is used by the Census Bureau ...

A map of the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

Lake Ronkonkoma is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address; while some others have a "Nesconset, NY 11767" and "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Note: the following map is is from the Suffolk County Planning Department and is used by the Census Bureau ...

A map of the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

Lake Ronkonkoma is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address; while some others have a "Nesconset, NY 11767" and "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address.
I know all of this already, but Walter, why does your map not say it is in the town of Islip? is the hamlet of Lake Ronk within Islip at all? or just Smithtown and Brookhaven?

I am also aware that Ronk and Lake Ronk are two different hamlets.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I know all of this already, but Walter, why does your map not say it is in the town of Islip?
Because no part of Lake Ronkonkoma is in the Town of Islip.

Quote:
is the hamlet of Lake Ronk within Islip at all? or just Smithtown and Brookhaven?
According to the Suffolk County Planning Department and as agreed to by the Census Bureau, Lake Ronkonkoma is partly in the Town of Smithtown and partly in the Town of Brookhaven, with no part in the Town of Islip.

And, just to make sure, I double-checked with the 2010 Census and the map looks the same as the one used in the 2000 Census, as shown above:

A map of the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County
:
Attached Thumbnails
Lake Ronk town lines question.-lakeronkonkoma.jpg  

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Because no part of Lake Ronkonkoma is in the Town of Islip.

According to the Suffolk County Planning Department and as agreed to by the Census Bureau, Lake Ronkonkoma is partly in the Town of Smithtown and partly in the Town of Brookhaven, with no part in the Town of Islip.

And, just to make sure, I double-checked with the 2010 Census and the map looks the same as the one used in the 2000 Census, as shown above:

Thanks Walter.

Wikepedia says it is in all three. I'll change it

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County

Ironically, and as already pointed out by Sean Sean Sean Sean in a previous thread, the actual lake -- Lake Ronkonkoma, the lake, not the hamlet -- is in Ronkonkoma, which is in the Town of Islip.

A map of the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Ronkonkoma has a different border than does the "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma and a place can have other than a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma): places that have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma are in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the Towns of Smithtown and Brookhaven, the Hamlet of Bohemia and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma with a "Central Islip, NY 11722", "Holbrook, NY 11741" and "Bohemia, NY 11716" mailing address.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Ironically, and as already pointed out by Sean Sean Sean Sean in a previous thread, the actual lake -- Lake Ronkonkoma, the lake, not the hamlet -- is in Ronkonkoma, which is in the Town of Islip.

A map of the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Ronkonkoma has a different border than does the "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma and a place can have other than a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma): places that have a "Ronkonkoma, NY 11779" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma are in the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma in the Towns of Smithtown and Brookhaven, the Hamlet of Bohemia and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma with a "Central Islip, NY 11722", "Holbrook, NY 11741" and "Bohemia, NY 11716" mailing address.
Right. But the wiki page is about the hamlet of lake ronkonkom,a - which said it was in Islip, so I changed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island