Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 29,603 times

Advertisements

This is for anyone here who has Liberty Mutual for homeowners insurance and has just renewed or is about to renew their policy: Did you get a huge increase in your premium? If you did, do you live within 2 miles of the shore? or not? Newsday had an article the other day about LM tying renewals to auto insurance with them, but this is something else. We've been with LM since 2000 and have 4 policies with them (homeowners, auto, excess liability and FEMA flood) -- never ever a claim on any. I just got the renewal notice for the homeowners, and the premium was increased by 42% -- from $3663 to $5441 (the actual out of pocket bottom line after all of the applicable credits were applied). I can't even get through to my agent to ask whether the increase is because we're within 2 miles of the water, or whether LM is doing this to every home on LI that they currently insure (probably because of all the other people calling to complain about cancellations, auto coverage, etc) .... so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has been hit with this yet, and where on LI they live (near water or not). Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 02:10 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMovieJunkie View Post
This is for anyone here who has Liberty Mutual for homeowners insurance and has just renewed or is about to renew their policy: Did you get a huge increase in your premium? If you did, do you live within 2 miles of the shore? or not? Newsday had an article the other day about LM tying renewals to auto insurance with them, but this is something else. We've been with LM since 2000 and have 4 policies with them (homeowners, auto, excess liability and FEMA flood) -- never ever a claim on any. I just got the renewal notice for the homeowners, and the premium was increased by 42% -- from $3663 to $5441 (the actual out of pocket bottom line after all of the applicable credits were applied). I can't even get through to my agent to ask whether the increase is because we're within 2 miles of the water, or whether LM is doing this to every home on LI that they currently insure (probably because of all the other people calling to complain about cancellations, auto coverage, etc) .... so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has been hit with this yet, and where on LI they live (near water or not). Thanks so much for any input!
Whre do you live?
How close??
North or South?
Thats BS.

C

Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 29,603 times
I live in Brightwaters, south of Montauk Highway. I finally got through to my agent though. According to him, Liberty Mutual has assesed these "sizeable" (anywhere from 40% to 55%) premium increases for 2007 across the board for every home on Long Island that they currently insure, and "no one type of policyholder was singled out". So if anyone has Liberty Mutual and is due for renewal before the end of this year, you are going to get sticker shock when you open that envelope. (by the way, I've been with them for 10 years with never ever a claim. The only time I *ever* filed a claim with ANY insurance policy was back in 1985 after Hurricane Gloria: A tree came down and destroyed part of our fence. They paid for the fence replacement but not the tree removal (that's not covered under most policies anyway). At that time we had State Farm.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
I live in Brightwaters, south of Montauk Highway. I finally got through to my agent though. According to him, Liberty Mutual has assesed these "sizeable" (anywhere from 40% to 55%) premium increases for 2007 across the board for every home on Long Island that they currently insure, and "no one type of policyholder was singled out". So if anyone has Liberty Mutual and is due for renewal before the end of this year, you are going to get sticker shock when you open that envelope. (by the way, I've been with them for 10 years with never ever a claim. The only time I *ever* filed a claim with ANY insurance policy was back in 1985 after Hurricane Gloria: A tree came down and destroyed part of our fence. They paid for the fence replacement but not the tree removal (that's not covered under most policies anyway). At that time we had State Farm.

I'm a stones throw from the Sound in Rocky Point.

We havent heard anything from Allstate yet.

But were 200ft up on a bluff.

Who knows... Im sure theyll find a way.

C

Old 09-01-2007, 04:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I have Liberty Mutual home insurance , but they have not bothered me yet. I live in Babylon Village so I am in a flood zone. I have had the same insurance, though , (car anyway) since I was on my Dad's policy in 1968. Can you imagine? That's forty years .

Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 AM

222 posts, read 892,792 times
Quote:
Yeah..I got LM as well for homeowner and saw a 50% INCREASE TO about $1,400 annually. Most of the other major carriers have pulled out of L.I. in anticipation of the "Big One" (storm similar to 1938). If Katrina happed on L. I. [I guess the insurance industry feels it would be wiped-out due to the cost of housing here...Basically B.S....IMHO.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 AM

Exclamation hurricanes

That is a high premium . I guess my house (a townhome) is smaller so I do not need to pay that much. I am leaving LI soon to move to Oregon anyway & I just hope that we can ride out this summer w/o a hurricane. I do
remember the many hurricanes of the fifties and sixties that we had when I lived on the water on Strongs Neck . The water would come almost halfway up the bluff and there was a lot of erosion. We kids loved it because there were kerosene lamps , ghost stories (tv was out, of course) and cooking w/ fire outside and we pretended that we were backj in the 1800s. Not fun for our parents , though, I am sure.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 9,826 times
I have Liberty Mutual and yes, my premium went up dramatically. I live 4 miles from the ocean (as the crow flies). The other problem I have with Liberty Mutual is that "they cover NOTHING!"

Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM

I really never had a problem with them, but then I rarely filed a claim . And , nothing that had to do with home losses, only theft once and once they paid for my wallet being stolen in Paris.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
That's disgusting.. First.. I would call the NY Insurance Commission or Board or whatever they are called nad complain. This is probably a result of that "We're due for a hurricane" nonsense that we heard about months ago. Yeah.. and Im' due to win the lottery.. doesn't mean I will.

I would then take that new policy with what it covers and the costs and shop around. I have State Farm. So far so good.. My homeowners on a small levit house I believe is around $1000 - 1100 . I dont' know whenI will be renewed and haven't seen any big increase on any paperwork I've recieved yet. But call them all and tell them best price wins!!! Then go with the one that gives you the best price

Your insurance company wants to play with you.. well then pull yoyur loyalty right out from under them.. how dare they treat a longtime consumer like they did you. If all policy holders being raked over the coals did this.. they'll be sorry. Good luck and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island