Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times

Advertisements

Woman, child found dead in Bay Shore

Quote:
A woman and her toddler son were found dead Friday evening in their Bay Shore home, the victims of homicide, Suffolk County police said Saturday.

The bodies were found about 5:15 p.m. at the South Cardinal Court residence.
Moderator cut: copyright
What's going on? I know crime in Bay Shore and Brentwood has always been high but it seems like I am hearing about a murder or a shooting every other day. In the last week alone I believe 3 people have been killed or injured in this part of Brentwood/North Bay Shore:
- a man shot and wounded at 6pm Thursday 12/22 on Arthur Street in Brentwood.
- 2 brothers shot and killed at 3am Sunday 12/18 on Lincoln Avenue in Brentwood.

Is a new gang trying to 'muscle' in on the 'hood?

Last edited by Keeper; 12-25-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
This is a tragic story. I am just wondering if there were signs of a break in or if the landlord had heard anything. Did the neighbors see or hear anything? I read another Man was living there? I wonder if he was questioned or a suspect?

Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times

I don't know about the Bay Shore murders, but the two in Brentwood sound like MS13 possibly.

Vicious.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:28 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

I don't know about the Bay Shore murders, but the two in Brentwood sound like MS13 possibly.

Vicious.
MS-13 usually hacks their victims to pieces with machetes. They like to make a statement loud and clear to all comers. MS-13 is really more of a private army than your average street gang.

Im thinking the shootings are just some local thugs looking to make themselves look tough.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Default Another Mother and Toddler Were Murdered in CI 2010

Less than two years ago:
Authorities identify woman, child found murdered in woods in Central Islip, Long Island | 7online.com

Old 12-25-2011, 10:21 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,641 times
[quote=s13;22268198]Not to get all Walter Greenspan, but please don't confuse "North Bay Shore" - which is effectively Brentwood - with the rest of Bay Shore. Very, very different neighborhood.

Moderator cut: passage removed Can you elaborate on that a little more?

I know North Bay Shore has Brentwood schools but why else would you consider it to be "effectively Brentwood".

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-26-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Can you elaborate on that a little more?

I know North Bay Shore has Brentwood schools but why else would you consider it to be "effectively Brentwood".
They're both similar in terms of income and demographics (Predominantly Hispanic and a per capita income of around $20,000 each). Bay Shore is more diverse and has a per capita income of $27,000.

I'm too lazy to calculate the Hispanic population based on the current numbers, so I'll just use city-data's estimates:

//www.city-data.com/city/Brentwood-New-York.html
//www.city-data.com/city/North-...-New-York.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Bay-Shore-New-York.html

Now, obviously, I'm the last person to suggest that a large Hispanic population results in more crime, but considering North Bay Shore borders Brentwood (and is seperated from Bay Shore by the Southern State Parkway), it would likely have more in common with Brentwood than Bay Shore.

And, as Walter would say, people tend to identify more with the schools they're zoned for than what the CDP actually is (e.g. People in East Massapequa east of Carmans Road associate more with Amityville than the "White" side of East Massapequa)

Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Can you elaborate on that a little more?

Geographically and demographically, the only difference between "North Bay Shore" and Brentwood is the name and zipcode. Once you get north of Southern Pkwy between Howells Rd and 111, things go downhill quick no matter what the neighborhood is called.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Woman, child found dead in Bay Shore

What's going on? I know crime in Bay Shore and Brentwood has always been high but it seems like I am hearing about a murder or a shooting every other day. In the last week alone I believe 3 people have been killed or injured in this part of Brentwood/North Bay Shore:
- a man shot and wounded at 6pm Thursday 12/22 on Arthur Street in Brentwood.
- 2 brothers shot and killed at 3am Sunday 12/18 on Lincoln Avenue in Brentwood.

Check out newsday. They just made an arrest for the murders. Dosent look like this one has anything to do with gang violence.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Any updates? I cannot read Newsday online with Fios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island