Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM

78 posts, read 235,027 times

Advertisements

http://www.antonnews.com/levittowntr...-dont-mix.html

Seriously, with all the problems around and you are worried about this?

Quote:
Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray and Councilman Gary Hudes led the Levittown community at a rally to express disapproval for the company’s proposal to sell alcoholic beverages. The theater at 3585 Hempstead Turnpike is also known as Loews Theatre, in Levittown.

Hudes said, “I’m familiar with this theater, as town councilman for this community in the past, I’ve met with representatives of this property regarding issues with youth vandalism, fighting and graffiti.” He said, with the existing issues, he feels the community is being “asked to look the other way while liquor is being introduced into a dark theater occupied by impressionable youth.” He said law enforcement is virtually impossible within the establishment.
Hudes demonstrated with several containers how simple it would be for a legal alcohol purchase to be made, but then transferred to an empty water bottle or other soda container inconspicuously, where underage drinking could continue for hours, undetected. He also urged the community to rally and voice their concerns for the state to deny the liquor application.
Coincidentally, campers from the Town’s Camp Anchor program were participating in a separate field trip to the movie theater at the same time the rally was in progress. Murray said, “At times we’ve had some of our campers [of Camp Anchor] pick up food and drinks that were left behind, God forbid, we now have alcohol in the theater and a child who has special needs doesn’t understand that maybe they shouldn’t pick up the drink, and they do.” She said, as easily, this could happen with any child.
Murray said the AMC Loews Theatres did offer to meet with the Town about their application. Murray said, she and Hudes agree they do not want a private meeting with the company; they want the corporation to come to Levittown and address the community, its customers. Murray said she urges AMC Loews to withdraw its application for a liquor license, come to Levittown and have a well-publicized meeting, hear the community’s concerns and then continue with their business decision.

Last edited by Arkham1010; 01-07-2012 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: messed up URL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
As much as i enjoy a nice alcholic beverage...its best served in a dark, dank ginmill not in a movie theater. I can see lots of problems developing between those who want to enjoy a movie and those who see it as an opportunity to over indulge a bit.

And speaking of quaffing down a few...im still open to moderating a sitdown between pequa and crooks over a few beers. If Obamy can have a beer summit at the white house....we can do it on
Long Island

Old 01-07-2012, 12:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Don't they have security guards in the movie theater? I mean, if the youth are being disruptive during the movie, somebody else can report them and have them kicked out.

After the movie is over, I doubt the security guard is going to let a bunch of drunk, rowdy kids go out and terrorize the neighborhood.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:34 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
What they should do is only allow certain showings to have alcohol... 21+ nights or something.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
In other places around the country, some theaters not only serve only alcohol, but have table service for food.

[url=http://arlingtondrafthouse.com/]Arlington Cinema N Drafthouse Movies, Music, Fun, Beer, Wine, Mixed Drinks, Comedy, Live Entertainment, Family Friendly[/url]

Funny, in all my years of going there, I never saw a drunken brawl break out, or anyone even have too much to drink.

Who keeps electing that idiot?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
In other places around the country, some theaters not only serve only alcohol, but have table service for food.

Arlington Cinema N Drafthouse Movies, Music, Fun, Beer, Wine, Mixed Drinks, Comedy, Live Entertainment, Family Friendly

Funny, in all my years of going there, I never saw a drunken brawl break out, or anyone even have too much to drink.

But what if there are kids there? They could pick up an unfinished drink that might have (gasp!) alcohol in it!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
But what if there are kids there? They could pick up an unfinished drink that might have (gasp!) alcohol in it!
They could get far worse than alky from doing that....

Old 01-07-2012, 03:44 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:

Arlington Cinema N Drafthouse Movies, Music, Fun, Beer, Wine, Mixed Drinks, Comedy, Live Entertainment, Family Friendly

Not to mention successful, well-run, well-liked venues such as the Alamo Drafthouse... how can these establishments still be around? Won't someone think of THE CHILDREN??/

Quote:
I would like to elect Kate Murray for a one-way vacation to Liberia.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Not to mention successful, well-run, well-liked venues such as the [URL="http://drafthouse.com/"]Alamo Drafthouse[/URL]... how can these establishments still be around? Won't someone think of THE CHILDREN??/

I would like to elect Kate Murray for a one-way vacation to Liberia.
The policy at the place I linked to is under 21 with parent or guardian before 9:00 p.m., after 9:00 p.m. it's 21 and older only. It works well. Maybe up here they could either try that, or only make the booze available after a certain time. You know, for those parents that just can't manage to keep their kids out of the Budweiser.

But not for nothing, it doesn't make much sense to drink too much beer at the movies. Who wants to have to get up to hit the loo three times?

Old 01-07-2012, 04:51 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
But not for nothing, it doesn't make much sense to drink too much beer at the movies. Who wants to have to get up to hit the loo three times?
It's dark, why not piss on the floor? Sometimes it seems like that's what people do in normal theaters as it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island