Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

did you really think the Belt and/or Staten Island Expressway would be impassable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM

236 posts, read 473,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I just returned from my niece's beautiful wedding at Saint Patrick's Roman Catholic Church in Bayshore and reception in a place called The Watermill in Smithtown.

Driving from Philly there was a $11.50 toll on the NJ Turnpike, a $12 toll through the Holland Tunnel and then a $6.50 toll through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

My point is this: I was born in Long Island but moved away many, many years ago - I am out of touch with what things cost in Long Island. The price of gas was about .35 per gallon more than Philly, and .45 more than New Jersey. The three days I was there I did some food shopping and even checked out a free magazine listing rental apartments.

Yikes! I don't think I could afford to live on Long Island!
Well, unfortunately you spent $12 more than you needed to on the trip up. If you took the more sensible and direct route through Staten Island, you'd have paid for one bridge from NJ to SI and then gotten a freebie (no toll eastbound) over the Verrazano.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
Well, unfortunately you spent $12 more than you needed to on the trip up. If you took the more sensible and direct route through Staten Island, you'd have paid for one bridge from NJ to SI and then gotten a freebie (no toll eastbound) over the Verrazano.
Agreed. The wedding party should have informed out-of-state guests of these things as a courtesy.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Even those of us who attempt to live on Long Island really can't afford it. Unless of course you're a public servant with a guaranteed pension in the millions. Then you're sitting pretty.
Spoken like someone who has never seen a real rich person. Yeah, it's a few cops making $250k that are sitting pretty, not the finance crooks paying a special 15% rate on their income and the corporations using loopholes to pay no taxes.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Spoken like someone who has never seen a real rich person. Yeah, it's a few cops making $250k that are sitting pretty, not the finance crooks paying a special 15% rate on their income and the corporations using loopholes to pay no taxes.
Knee jerk much?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Knee jerk much?
Just give me a soap box.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Can you tell me which profession makes 100,000+ with just an associates, works 20 years and is done, then gets a pension which includes their overtime? Please let me know.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Can you tell me which profession makes 100,000+ with just an associates, works 20 years and is done, then gets a pension which includes their overtime? Please let me know.
This was not uncommon in the post-WW2 golden age, before the plutocrats and their paid-for government stooges figured out how to sell out the middle class and pocket a greater share of the country's wealth.

But I digress. Point is, public servants are a drop in the bucket compared to the graft that goes on beyond the curtain, where the truly rich don't want you to look.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
you could have saved the Brooklyn Battery toll - shouldve just taken FDR north to the 59th St bridge (free) and hopped onto the GCp--NSP out east.

There are cheaper alternatives - those who live here find creative ways to make our money stretch here.
I was much more sensible about my trip back. I took the Queensboro Bridge to Manhattan, through the Lincoln Tunnel - no tolls so far; to Rts. 1 and 9 Called Tonnele Ave.) to Newark; NJ Turnpike to Princeton - about $6.50 toll I think; then I switched to Rt. 295 which runs parallel to the Turnpike but toll-free as far as Burlington-Bristol Bridge to Philly - toll was $2.50. Total: about $9.00.

If I took the NJ-Philly bridges: the Betsy Ross, the Ben Franklin, or the Walt Whitman - the toll would have been $5.00.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I was much more sensible about my trip back. I took the Queensboro Bridge to Manhattan, through the Lincoln Tunnel - no tolls so far; to Rts. 1 and 9 Called Tonnele Ave.) to Newark; NJ Turnpike to Princeton - about $6.50 toll I think; then I switched to Rt. 295 which runs parallel to the Turnpike but toll-free as far as Burlington-Bristol Bridge to Philly - toll was $2.50. Total: about $9.00.
wow. how long did that take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island