Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times

Advertisements

So with the rain my drive in this morning took over 1 1/2 hour. So I have time to think and start thinking about the bridge that should have been built to give people another way off Long Island and it dawned on me NYC/LI has not really built any infrastructure since Robert Moses died and our state, city and towns are crumbling and suffering.

So I ask the question what would you like to see built in NY State, New York City or on Long Island.

P.S A new Golden Corral or Country Kitchen does not count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM

78 posts, read 234,944 times
At least on Long Island, I'd think that any major new projects are a non starter, since there is practically no room to build anything these days. Almost every square foot of land it taken by stores, houses or roads.

in the 50's there was lots of room to expand and lots of farms to buy up. Today? If you want to build anything you are going to have to displace a lot of people, and that gets VERY expensive.

Last edited by Arkham1010; 01-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: fixxed some misspellings.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM

225 posts, read 715,675 times
Affordable housing for young people trying to get on their feet! Wishful thinking on my behalf, huh?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
A Cross Sound Bridge...it would be an economic boom for Long Island and CT.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Four 50+ story high rise residential condos on each corner of the Roosevelt Field Mall.

Extension of the #7 subway above ground from Flushing to Great Neck.

Extension of the E subway from Jamaica to Hicksville (via Garden City).

Extension of the A subway to Babylon (via Rockville Centre and Massapequa).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
A Cross Sound Bridge...it would be an economic boom for Long Island and CT.
This by far, we should not have to drive through the traffic disaster known as NYC every time we want to get off the Island, and the ferries are too slow and too expensive. Think of all the time and gas one could save going straight up into CT instead of 50-75 miles out of the way going around the city...

It will never happen, but I'd also like to see another fast north-south route in western Suffolk somewhere between the Sagtikos and Nicolls Rd.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Affordable housing for young people trying to get on their feet! Wishful thinking on my behalf, huh?
When you're over 55 you can have affordable brand new housing built for you ... that's about it.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
1. I second the Cross-Sound Bridge/Tunnel, it would have countless benefits.

2. They need to do something with the Nassau Colliseum area

3. It would be nice to see some kind of mass housing for young adult professionals. Require at least an Associates Degree to rent there so it doesn't just turn into another troubled community.

4. Widen all the North-South Parkways/Expressways. They have land at the side so this is feasible.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
2. They need to do something with the Nassau Colliseum area
Failing this, which is a very real possibility since the Town of Hempstead seems set on blocking any legitimate development, I would like to see an arena complex built on part of the old Pilgrim property. Despite being further east, I envision the site being more accessible to city residents as the busy Ronkonkoma line runs just south and there's an existing rail spur that runs right up into the property. Combine that with the Sagtikos and LIE bordering the site and you could have a winner.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
1) Cross Sound Bridge
2) Crooks awhile back talked about intermodal hubs -- something along that line would be ideal.
3) The fantasy high speed rail elevated above the LIE and maybe one above Sunrise for good measure?
4) Wind and solar farm at Epcal
5) Seizure of all slum lord owned properties within the "bad" areas for development into affordable apartments -- a fair portion earmarked for retirees and young, childless couples so as not to overwhelm the school districts.

And in reverse -- moratorium islandwide on construction of private homes in excess of 3,000 sq ft. or greater than 25% the size of the average house on a street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island