Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 63,479 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone new to these forums!

Here is my situation. My husband and I, and our two children (ages 3 & 1) currently live in the Hartford area of CT. About a year ago, my husband's company transferred him to NYC. He has been the doing the Hartford to Manhattan commute ever since, but it is putting a strain on the family. He comes home long after the kids have gone to bed most nights, and leaves before they wake up in the morning. Which is why we are house shopping in Long Island. We are looking at Nassau, as we feel Suffolk would also be a longer commute.
My husband and I know nothing about Long Island, I was born and raised near Boston, him New Haven. Which is why I need some help finding a great, family friendly neighborhood. I am looking for the usual; good schools, low crime, parks and other family friendly things to do, well kept houses, etc. We looked on Multiple Listings LI and came up with some great houses in these towns:
Bellmore
Plainview
Garden City
New Hyde Park (Herricks Schools)
Bayville
Manhasset
Massapequa
Merrick
Sea Cliff
Oyster Bay
Port Washington
Roslyn Harbor
Syosset
Wantagh

what do you all think? we need to narrow this list down and since we know nothing of these towns, we don't even know where to start!!
Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 24,536 times
I have a big opportunity for someone. I am selling my home in Kings Park (near Smithtown). Will be listed with a realtor for $469-$479. I am listing myself as of Monday at $459 and will take first reasonable offer on it. It is a Colonial 3BR with basement (windowed) apartment with sep. entrance. ALSO, a separate 4 room bldg. on property and in ground pool! I am in financial arrears on business debts and need to sell very fast. Martin 516-991-7777 or email at forum383@aol.com for more info.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,818 times
Personally I like the towns that you mentioned that are on the south shore bellmore, merrick, wantagh, massapequa, all have good schools, low crime, nice parks etc

Nothing wrong with the other towns you mentioned it is just a personal preference.

You really need to come here an see for yourself. Drive through the neighborhoods and get a feel for things.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:51 PM

137 posts, read 744,619 times
I think all the towns on your list are a good choices. Its just a choice between North or South shores. North shore is a bit more expensive. Both N & S have VERY high taxes. Im sure its similar in CT. On your list, I would suggest:
Merrick
Wantagh
Massapequa
Garden City
(Im not as familiar with the north shore)
Dont forget to look in Oceanside and Rockville Centre.
Come for a visit!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:29 PM

57 posts, read 178,753 times
Don't foget Bethpage

Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,555 times
I live near Oyster Bay and Plainview and they should meet your requirements. One warning check into any flooding problems in south shore towns on or near the water.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,785 times
Default Advice about Herricks

I can tell you about New Hyde Park in the Herricks school district. First of all the area is close to the city. You can take the LIRR from Mineola and expect to be in the city in about a half-hour. On the otherhand expect to pay big bucks for even a modest cape: over $600 for anything in good condition. There are some newer homes going up here and there, but they go for over a million or more. Taxes are very high as well, but you do get a first rate school district and library. However, be aware that the Herricks school district is now half Asian. It is one of the most diverse districts on the Island: Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Sikh with a smattering of Italians and Irish. What probably has not changed is the extreme snob attitude - everyone has money and likes to show it off through their kids. Be ready to play keep up with the Jonses or should I say the Goldsmiths, Kims and Diwalis. However, there are almost no African-Americans or Hispanics in the Herricks area. Honestly, I would say that Mineola Schools are equally good and homes cost much less. So if Herricks doesn't fit your bill check out the following nearby areas: Mineola, Carle Place and New Hyde Park-Garden City Park.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,555 times
If you want to spend $500k or under (also over) check out Hicksville, Levittown & East Meadow. It's 45 minutes by LIRR to Manhattan.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:16 PM

216 posts, read 829,580 times
You should add to your list of towns:

Port Washington
Great Neck
E. Williston
Willston Park
Woodbury
Jericho
Syosset

If education is an important issue, you should disregard some of the towns on your list. The schools aren't that good.

You can determine the quality of a town's schools by getting hold of the reading scores and the percentage of HS grads attending 4 yr colleges. I am pretty sure if you contact Newsday (Long Island news, New York news, Entertainment and Sports) the info will be there.

Additionally, depending on how much you want to spend, the closer the area is to manhattan, generally the higher the homes will be in cost and in resale value. There are beautiful areas all over LI, some being better than others in different arenas.

Email with any questions. I've been a LI'er for 27 yrs.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM

216 posts, read 829,580 times
Here's the link to the school report cards. It's pretty comprehensive. Good things to note are the per pupil spending amount, the teacher to student ratio, the plans upon graduation.

Obviously the more that a district spends on its students, the more enriched their education will be.

Long Island School Scores - Nassau County, Suffolk County - Newsday.com (http://www.newsdayinteractive.com/long-island-schools/index.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island