Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,782 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to enroll my daughter in a nursery program this coming Sept within the Mineola SD. Being a December 3rd baby, in Nassau County, she would miss the Nursery school cut-off (and ultimately Kindergarten) by 2 days. I've done my research and have read many articles regarding the advantages of holding a child back however, I firmly believe she is ready. So I want to start by enrolling her in a nursery school to see how she does. It seems to be that my only hope in getting her in a program is to enroll her in either the Mineola or Half Hollows School District. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times
I'm pretty sure that Mineola has Pre-K but not Nursery:
http://www.mineola.k12.ny.us/pages/M...l_Registration

All the Pre-K and K classes are currently at Willis Avenue school,
Browser Not Supported

But Willis is closing at the end of this year. They're doing a reconfiguration:
Mineola Residents Vote Down Second Bond

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Even nursery schools have cut off dates, usually following the one used by most of NY state (December 1). Not sure how you'll work around that. Plus no elementary school is going to take her if she doesn't make the cutoff, no matter how much "schooling" she's already had. Preschool is not a pre-requisite for starting kindergarten or even first grade in NYS.

Where do you live that you are choosing between Mineola and Half Hollow Hills? That would be quite a commute from one to the other.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I reside in the Mineola district. I am not 100% sure and admit that at the outset, but I am pretty sure that we don't accept kids from outside the district for our programs. There is a universal pre-k program that is by lottery and that is at the Kornreich Center at the Willis Avenue School. It is for lower income families that as far as I know reside IN the district. That is funded by a grant from the Kornreich family. The other program is taxpayer supported so I seriously doubt my district would take a child from another district. The only way that I think that can happen is; if your child has special needs and your district makes arrangements to pay my district for services on you childs' behalf. Please check it out as I said I am not 100% sure.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
The kindegarten cutt-off does not go by NYS, but rather by district. Some districts have a Dec. 31st cut-off. I think Oceanside's cut-off is Dec. 31st. You would have to move if you want to enroll your child in a district pre-k program.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times
Mineola SD definitely has a Dec 31 cutoff which is the reason for ochorios08's post. But other posters are correct, there's currently no nursery / PreK in Mineola that will take you without being a resident. When Corpus Christi was open they followed the district Dec 31 cutoff for PreK but they closed in June 2010.

The PreK in St Aidan's in Williston Park is not in Mineola so has a Dec 1 cutoff.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
You really just need to talk to your home district first and see if they would accept your child into their kindergarten when she turns 5 two days after their cut-off date. That's really close and possibly they would work something out with you, pending an evaluation. Generally, though, they like to stay firm about the date. Private elementary schools are more flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island