Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,391 times

Advertisements

Thanks - I appreciate that, but I am seeing here alot about break ins??????? Can I call the local precinct to find out more information on this? Where are these transients coming from? do they reside in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM

414 posts, read 808,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDusa View Post
Thanks - I appreciate that, but I am seeing here alot about break ins??????? Can I call the local precinct to find out more information on this? Where are these transients coming from? do they reside in this area?
There is a homeless shelter for men by the train tracks, but they apparently turn away a lot of people, from what I hear because they are drunk, high, or whatever else. Then they just roam the streets in the area. Do a drive through the area and you will see them all over the place. Don't waste your time calling the local police, they aren't going to be any help.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM

66 posts, read 151,378 times
Sure, there are bad characters in every town but at the PJ and PJS border there are more homeless and gang members than anywhere in the Brookhaven area. Maybe Mastic, Coram or N Bellport but these areas have less loitering than the PJS area. Also areas such as Brentwood and Hunt Sta have many many gang members but you don't see many loitering on the main street except for MS-13 day laborers. Enough is enough.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 26,999 times
There seems to be a bit of hysteria on this board. I haven't lived in this area (Belle Terre Road) for 15 years but I did pay a visit last summer. The only striking difference I was able to notice was that JeffersonPlaza looked a little more ghetto with the Bravo Supermarket. I took a stroll Down Port and I encountered too many chain stores for my taste (Though The Gap has been there for years). I can't comment on the break-ins but I certainly didn't witness any day laborers wandering around. I think I might've seen a homeless person or two but hardly what I'd call gangbangers. Less charming, certainly but seemingly far from dangerous.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM

414 posts, read 808,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBassTian View Post
There seems to be a bit of hysteria on this board. I haven't lived in this area (Belle Terre Road) for 15 years but I did pay a visit last summer. The only striking difference I was able to notice was that JeffersonPlaza looked a little more ghetto with the Bravo Supermarket. I took a stroll Down Port and I encountered too many chain stores for my taste (Though The Gap has been there for years). I can't comment on the break-ins but I certainly didn't witness any day laborers wandering around. I think I might've seen a homeless person or two but hardly what I'd call gangbangers. Less charming, certainly but seemingly far from dangerous.

Not hysteria by any means. I live right in that area, and knock on wood personally have not had any problems. Drive by the train station pretty much any time of day or night, on the west side right at the track you have the hispanics hanging out outside all the stores on the sidewalks. On the east side, you have all the homeless sitting on the benches that appear to only be used by them. Drive through the train station parking lot on the south side and witness all the broken windows from all the car break ins there.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBassTian View Post
Haven't lived here for 15 years but paid a visit doesn't exactly qualify you to make a credible well-informed statement. There was just a stabbing outside the lower Port McDonalds, a town constable was jumped by a group of loiterers early one morning in the vicinity of Rocketship Park. Two examples for your consideration. Read up in the local Patch for more crime and drug news in PJ.

The village has been slipping but it is in the most recent years that it has accelerated.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,391 times
Wow - a homeless shelter....really? That is just awful.....I had no idea. Even a stabbing down in lower Port? What the heck is going on?? I always though PJ and PJS to be great areas! I am reallly taken back by all this info, but I sincerely apreciate it! The condo development I am trying to buy is in the borderline of PJS and Setauket. I really hope that area improves, but from what I am reading here, it doesn't sound like it. Perhaps if I go food shopping, I can go to the Waldbaums in the shopping center on 347 where Outback is???

Old 08-07-2012, 04:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDusa View Post
Wow - a homeless shelter....really? That is just awful.....I had no idea. Even a stabbing down in lower Port? What the heck is going on?? I always though PJ and PJS to be great areas! I am reallly taken back by all this info, but I sincerely apreciate it! The condo development I am trying to buy is in the borderline of PJS and Setauket. I really hope that area improves, but from what I am reading here, it doesn't sound like it. Perhaps if I go food shopping, I can go to the Waldbaums in the shopping center on 347 where Outback is???
Stonington is a nice condo complex -- even the garden apartments on the west side of Old Town across from it are fine. The bulk of the nonsense is in the vicinity of the train station and (the incidents I know of) within walking distance of Main St. You won't be dealing with it at Stonington.

Shopping -- Waldbaums is perfectly fine. Pathmark to the east sometimes gets a slightly strange clientele. Meat Farms not quite as much. If you head up Old Town to 25A and make a left, within 1/2 mile you'll find a Stop and Shop, King Kullen and Wild By Nature.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Stonington is a nice condo complex -- even the garden apartments on the west side of Old Town across from it are fine. The bulk of the nonsense is in the vicinity of the train station and (the incidents I know of) within walking distance of Main St. You won't be dealing with it at Stonington.

Shopping -- Waldbaums is perfectly fine. Pathmark to the east sometimes gets a slightly strange clientele. Meat Farms not quite as much. If you head up Old Town to 25A and make a left, within 1/2 mile you'll find a Stop and Shop, King Kullen and Wild By Nature.
OBH,

Gut/Cred check time, now I agree PJ by the rail is hell but as a fellow local, do you really, really in you're heart find PJV to be in the same camp as Ci or Brentwood? Do you really think that Port Jeff Station is as bad as Huntington Station?

Really? If its fallen that far then Critterville, S Setauket, Centereach, Selden, RP and SB just got seriously upgraded.

I'm not that freaked out there yet, but I agree it's got some challenges.

Crooks

Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
In all honesty....no place like this exists anymore. Its a shame, but its the world we live in today.
Generally speaking, no, and definitely no where that I have seen on Long Island. But you still do find towns dominated by Mom and Pop stores, ice cream parlors, general stores, and quaint town squares in many parts of VT, NH and ME. These states work really hard to keep it that way. Sometimes that means no Walmart, no train stations, no 7-11's and no internet/cell service, but so be it. But yeah, its getting harder and harder to find. Very very few if any still exist in eastern PA, NJ or southern NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island