Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

There was a case back in the 90's where some NC officers saw the need to ticket some Newsday delivery trucks to show their displeasure for some bad press. The trucks were ticketed for speeding, fortunately for the drivers, all the Newsday trucks had speed governors to limit their speed and their tickets were dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As do I. It's pretty well known that the PBA incites their members to "play games". Anyone who thinks this is just a coincidence is either 1) an SCPD or NCPD officer or a family member or 2) needs to think harder. This is so obvious even Ray Charles could see it ...

Remember when Levy took the SCPD off Sunrise and the LIE back in 2008? Well for weeks afterwards off duty SCPD officers would purposely speed on the Expressway and Sunrise and then act like jackasses when a SCSO deputy sheriff pulled them over. Oh and then there was the incident where they verbally harassed a female deputy sheriff at her relief point. The SCPD also made it a point to refuse to offer "courtesy" to family members of deputy sheriffs.

The NCPD and SCPA PBAs are basically an organized crime group ... they control politics with their votes and campaign donations.
I remember hearing it in the news about the Levy/SCPD brawling. I don't live in Suffolk though so I never had to experience it.

Add the teachers' union to controlling politics with their votes and campaign donations.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Does anyone here really think that certain NCPD rank and file are somehow above using these sort of punitive intimidation tactics? Are we forgetting the NCPD cop who shot the cabbie in Huntington? What does that incident say about the mentality of some of these guys?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There was a case back in the 90's where some NC officers saw the need to ticket some Newsday delivery trucks to show their displeasure for some bad press. The trucks were ticketed for speeding, fortunately for the drivers, all the Newsday trucks had speed governors to limit their speed and their tickets were dismissed.
On the highway or local roads? That's dangerous to speed limit them like that.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
You know, maybe there just isn't more to this story. People drive like jerks all the time in the 5 Towns area, maybe the officers were really just giving them a break, possibly to convince them otherwise on the restructuring?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Governed to do 60 doesn't mean you can't get a summons for doing 50 in a 30

Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Governed to do 60 doesn't mean you can't get a summons for doing 50 in a 30
True but from what I recall that was not the case, I believe it was a highway, in any event the tickets were issued for speeding above what the delivery trucks were capable and they were dismissed followed by an apology.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You know, maybe there just isn't more to this story. People drive like jerks all the time in the 5 Towns area, maybe the officers were really just giving them a break, possibly to convince them otherwise on the restructuring?

It's possible but 2 moving violations or pullovers for one family is pretty rare, seems like a rather large coincidence.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
It's possible but 2 moving violations or pullovers for one family is pretty rare, seems like a rather large coincidence.
you never know. Like I said, the two violations they were supposedly pulled over for are extremely common in the area.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Sorry off on the year it was April 2000, Newsday was publishing the 2nd of 3 articles critical of NCPD. Thye had governors limiting them to 65 and tickets were written above that.

"I'm doing my job. I have nothing to say to you."
Thus did Nassau Police Officer Charles Cole dismiss questions about his
day's work Tuesday, when 14 of the 15 tickets written on the Long Island
Expressway were issued to the drivers of Newsday trucks and 11 of those 14 were written by the zealous officer Cole.

Another interesting part of the story that is pertinent to the preceinct closings.

"One of the most astonishing disclosures related to the number of officers
assigned to jobs that keep them off the streets. Only 44 percent of Nassau
police respond to service calls. The rest shuffle papers, answer phones, train or administer. This does not compare well with other departments"

http://www.newsday.com/editorial-at-least-these-nassau-cops-were-out- (broken link)

on-the-street-1.292480
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island