Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Same here. But there are situations like Ilona's where it's actually more dangerous trying to stop than going through the yellow/red. The worst is the people that slam on the brakes from 50mph speed on Sunrise, the instant it turns yellow. You can go through the yellow and you won't get ticketed. Only if it's red and then you enter. Some people that are aware of the cams play it safe and create a bigger hazard to the person behind them.
The problem is yellows seem to be pretty inconsistent as to how long they last. Sometimes they last for a good 5 seconds, while others last for what seems like less than a second. I've been stopping at yellows if I'm not within a certain distance of it when it changes to yellow, and luckily I've managed to avoid having to stop short. Though, if stopping at a yellow creates a hazard for the person behind you (and I agree it can), then chances are they were tailgating you, which is always hazardous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that you drive a dirty fossil fuel burning automobile and that you got a red light ticket. I remember you scolding people in another thread about learning to stop on red and it wont be a problem... hmm.
Yep! This was my first time as I do try to be super careful (this was my first ticket of any kind lol). I guess if it hadn't been rainining I would have felt more confident stopping short. I can't be perfect all the time LOL.
Which is why I'm paying the ticket-I accept my guilt

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Same here. But there are situations like Ilona's where it's actually more dangerous trying to stop than going through the yellow/red. The worst is the people that slam on the brakes from 50mph speed on Sunrise, the instant it turns yellow. You can go through the yellow and you won't get ticketed. Only if it's red and then you enter. Some people that are aware of the cams play it safe and create a bigger hazard to the person behind them.
Too true. The thing is I knew that I got caught because that stretch of Old Country Road through Westbury have tons of red light cameras. But again I'd rather pay than risk spin out. I know my little car and I know how it brakes.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That's a fancy one. I've never seen that kind before. Most of the ones I've seen look like this:
Does anyone watch 'Parking Wars'?? That's what I immediately thought of when looking at this picture.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Anyone have a picture of one of these boots so I can stock my trunk with enough tools to cut one off in the event I need to? I'm thinking my portable compressor filled with air and a 6" air grinder?
It reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons, where they went to NYC and Homer got his car booted up. He took a jackhammer and started chipping away at the boot (and the rest of his car).

Quote:
As I've mentioned in other threads, there was a time when a bus pulled up to a well-known red light camera and tried to beat the light, but as soon as it turned yellow, he slammed on the brakes to avoid getting a ticket. Personally, I think he was going fast enough that he could've made it through the intersection before the light turned red. Fortunately, all the standees were holding onto something or else they would've gone flying, because that was a really sudden stop.

All the cars behind him should've seen that the light was turning yellow (and in the time the bus would make it through, the light would turn red. Plus, the next light was red anyway), so there was little risk of a rear-end collision, but still those cameras are an unnecessary hazard.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
The law is getting bigger and bigger.

Sorry, but the "don't run a red light" thing isn't new or "bigger". What is getting "bigger and bigger" is the general populations feeling of entitlement and ill-placed, not quite so righteous outrage.

In other words, people have been driving worse and worse for years now. It's about time law enforcement caught up to it. If you obey the laws, this is a non-issue.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That's a fancy one. I've never seen that kind before. Most of the ones I've seen look like this:
Yep, those are the standard boots. The one I posted was a gag I'm pretty sure.

Anyone who's been booted before knows even with a sawzall or other tools, you are not getting through that thing without destroying your own wheel.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Yep, those are the standard boots. The one I posted was a gag I'm pretty sure.

Anyone who's been booted before knows even with a sawzall or other tools, you are not getting through that thing without destroying your own wheel.

http://cyber.eserver.org/das_boot.txt

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Very interesting! Have you ever tried these strategies (and had success)? Are you a scofflaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
The problem is yellows seem to be pretty inconsistent as to how long they last. Sometimes they last for a good 5 seconds, while others last for what seems like less than a second. I've been stopping at yellows if I'm not within a certain distance of it when it changes to yellow, and luckily I've managed to avoid having to stop short. Though, if stopping at a yellow creates a hazard for the person behind you (and I agree it can), then chances are they were tailgating you, which is always hazardous.
I think all the yellow lights are the same length in Nassau.. 2.9 seconds I believe. Thing is, when you're doing 50-55mph and somebody in front of you slams their brakes the instant the light turns yellow (especially in bad weather or when they could/should be going through it), it may not make a difference if the person behind is tailgating or not.

Last edited by Pequaman; 02-23-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Missouri: Court Rules Red Light Cameras Unconstitutional

Missouri: Court Rules Red Light Cameras Unconstitutional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island