Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 AM

78 posts, read 235,008 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing signs al over the place trying to scare me into thinking that having precincts close will soon lead to rampant crime and my house being stolen from its foundation. I'm assuming these signs, letters and posters i keep seeing around are paid for by the cop's union?

So whats REALLY the deal? Is this truely about safety, or is this about protecting jobs for cops.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post
I'm seeing signs al over the place trying to scare me into thinking that having precincts close will soon lead to rampant crime and my house being stolen from its foundation. I'm assuming these signs, letters and posters i keep seeing around are paid for by the cop's union?

So whats REALLY the deal? Is this truely about safety, or is this about protecting jobs for cops.
They signs are from the NC PBA. That should spell it out for you what the motivation is.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM

155 posts, read 426,187 times
James Carver and his cronies are some of the biggest fear-mongerers out there. Why wouldn't they be? They have to protect the wallets of the people they represent. And, by and large, they do not represent YOU.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
The vote was suppose to take place yesterday but moved to next Monday now.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Hide your wife, hide your kids...all the towns are going down. lol.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM

159 posts, read 408,604 times
Something has to be done with the NCPD but this plan does not seem well thought out. They want to shut Elmont?

Both sides need to come together and work it out. This is a big game of chicken.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
The cops are being babies because the gravy train is gonna be making fewer stops.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
The thing is that we don't really need all these precincts in this day and age. Virtually all patrol officers operate out of firehouse parking lots, town halls, etc where they conduct shift changes. The only people who work at the precincts are the detectives, "the white shirts" (aka "the brass") - the lieutenants, captains, inspectors, etc, and the precinct level specialized units. ALL of these personnel could operate out of the reformed precinct structure or out of NCPD HQ.

If I was Mangano I would only have 3 precincts (North [Manhasset] + South [Baldwin] + East [Elmont]) plus Headquarters and whatever specialized facilities are needed for NCPD Aviation, Marine, Highway Patrol, and the Police Academy.

As it is most of the North Shore villages have their own police departments so the NCPD presence up north is quite small compared to say in the Elmont or Baldwin areas. In fact it looks like the NCPD's days on the North Shore are numbered ... several villages have dropped their NCPD contracts over the past few years.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The thing is that we don't really need all these precincts in this day and age. Virtually all patrol officers operate out of firehouse parking lots, town halls, etc where they conduct shift changes. The only people who work at the precincts are the detectives, "the white shirts" (aka "the brass") - the lieutenants, captains, inspectors, etc, and the precinct level specialized units. ALL of these personnel could operate out of the reformed precinct structure or out of NCPD HQ.

If I was Mangano I would only have 3 precincts (North [Manhasset] + South [Baldwin] + East [Elmont]) plus Headquarters and whatever specialized facilities are needed for NCPD Aviation, Marine, Highway Patrol, and the Police Academy.

As it is most of the North Shore villages have their own police departments so the NCPD presence up north is quite small compared to say in the Elmont or Baldwin areas. In fact it looks like the NCPD's days on the North Shore are numbered ... several villages have dropped their NCPD contracts over the past few years.
Elmont is east? I would think the 2nd Pct in Syosset would be a good location to keep open.

I believe Laurel Hollow was the last Nassau Village to give up it's own police. Muttontown just broke off from Old Brookville PD to form it's own.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Elmont is east? I would think the 2nd Pct in Syosset would be a good location to keep open.

I believe Laurel Hollow was the last Nassau Village to give up it's own police. Muttontown just broke off from Old Brookville PD to form it's own.
2nd PCT is in Woodbury, FYI. I think the poster meant West for Elmont.

I think you need 4 for Nassau. One for each quadrant, NW, SW, NE, SE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island