Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 PM

25 posts, read 48,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
You never specified that you meant LI...lol.

Sure, you yourself may know about other cultures because of your mother, but I'm fairly sure you're a minority in that situation.
NOPE, not really. I mean most of my HS friends were pretty cultured and had traveled a lot with their families and experienced different cultures. A good friend of mine is spending the summer in South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Don't tell me about lists. They mean nothing. My current district is always lower than my old one, even though the quality of education is the same (if not higher in my current). My current district has more poverty, violence, foreign-born and special ed students-all these can cause students to not perform as well, even if the academic climate is superb. I also have a friend that moved to my current district from a district that is usually rated one of LI's worst, but she seems to have liked that district better.
I defended Huntington High School before for the same reason. With CSH and the other top HS's you can't really compare though. They offer classes and attention that neighboring districts don't ands can't offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH Kid. View Post

How is this any different than if I were to say...

And I wouldn't live on the south shore with the amount of philistinism that goes on, as you so skillfully demonstrate in all of your postings. Kids born to blue-collor parents who have horrible long island accentsand come from classless uneducated householdsaren't exactly the type I would want my children associating with.

Stereotypes are stereotypes, StephieM.

I will attribute your inability to reflect on the way you have come across on here to your age. You have come across as arrogant and entitled, several people have stated as much.

I am not saying the north shore or CSH are bad. Quite the opposite, as I have touted the benefits of CSH and other north shore areas. My husband and I considered several eastern Suffolk towns on the NS, like Port Jeff Village, Miller Place, Stonybrook, etc. It just wasn't for me. I prefer a more laid back attitude. My husband needs the LIE for works, I need the Southern State. The north shore would have never worked for us in that aspect. I do drive through the north shore quite often, and while it is certainly charming it is not my cup of tea. I am very pleased with our district. We have a gifted program for students starting in the 4th grade, which my daughter will be attending. Several clubs and extracurricular activites starting in the elementary level. Several south shore schools give their students the same level of academic enrichment as your home district. Acting as though they don't is intellectually dishonest.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,058 times
Quote:
NOPE, not really. I mean most of my HS friends were pretty cultured and had traveled a lot with their families and experienced different cultures. A good friend of mine is spending the summer in South America.

I defended Huntington High School before for the same reason. With CSH and the other top HS's you can't really compare though. They offer classes and attention that neighboring districts don't ands can't offer.
That's not really what I meant by "cultured". I'm talking about learning about, say...other AMERICAN cultures... learning not feel unsafe around muslims, learning that not all blacks are idiot rappers or basketball players, etc...those two things were something that quite a bit of kids in my old district never learned, and since Cold Spring Harbor is even more homogeneous than that district, the number is probably greater...unless these travels included Detroit or Baltimore...

Oh and even though Cold Spring Harbor can afford all these other things, its still doesn't have a science olympiad team, which has made my life, so I'd rather be in one of CSH's nearby districts such as Commack or Huntington or HHH, heck if I were to choose between CSH and Brentwood it'd be tough . My point being is that these "rankings" can never be always right because of individual preference, no matter what other classes the district may offer and what not.

Last edited by Razor123; 06-28-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
WHA?? The north shore is closer to manhattan??? HUH? Maybe in the way olden times (first half of the 19th century) it was easier to get from NYC to LI via the Sound - but by the time the Gold Coast really happened most of the robber barons would have been commuting out here by private rail car and later on by auto. Massapequa is closer to Manhattan than Lloyd Harbor, yet one is littered with estates and the other is not.

Again with the stereotypes! My parents work their ASSES off. They're both very successful because of it and didn't have anything handed to them. Thats why we get to have a pool (which uses salt, not chlorine). People who own waterfront houses in the Hamptons usually have pools too. It's just a preference thing - like preferring to swim in dirty ocean water to swimming in dirty Sound water.

Have I ever worked a day in my life? YEP. I've had summer jobs since I was 17. I'm actually still at work RIGHT NOW at a competitive internship that I got by working my ASS off in school (CSH and now NYU). Why do you think I'm posting on this board instead of partying on my yacht on this beautiful summer day??? I also have a crappy part-time job because my parents expect it. Yea, I know kids who don't work and are spoiled - but for most of the kids I hang around with achievement is the norm.

I've been to Robert Moses and it's always packed with the scenario I described above. I also learned from this thread that it contains one of the most polluted beached in the country! I'll stick with southampton for ocean beaches, K THX!
I believe the Gold Coast started pretty close to Manhattan actually and spread east. Sands Point is much closer than Massa and with the roads back then its not even close.

My parents also worked very hard raising 4 boys. My father came to this country with nothing at all and 3 kids. My father worked 80hr weeks and still couldn't dream of buying a home on the Gold coast.

I had a newspaper route when I was 10 so I could get a slice of pizza with my friends or a nice pair of sneakers not the 10$ kicks from TSS.

I've never been to RM beach but, i think it's fair to assume its much nicer than any NS beach. A guy I work with from Commack goes there and loves it.

I too believe the NS is a very nice place. It started as a rich area and continues to be. The south shore is also a beautiful semi-afforable area as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I will attribute your inability to reflect on the way you have come across on here to your age. You have come across as arrogant and entitled, several people have stated as much.

I am not saying the north shore or CSH are bad. Quite the opposite, as I have touted the benefits of CSH and other north shore areas. My husband and I considered several eastern Suffolk towns on the NS, like Port Jeff Village, Miller Place, Stonybrook, etc. It just wasn't for me. I prefer a more laid back attitude. My husband needs the LIE for works, I need the Southern State. The north shore would have never worked for us in that aspect. I do drive through the north shore quite often, and while it is certainly charming it is not my cup of tea. I am very pleased with our district. We have a gifted program for students starting in the 4th grade, which my daughter will be attending. Several clubs and extracurricular activites starting in the elementary level. Several south shore schools give their students the same level of academic enrichment as your home district. Acting as though they don't is intellectually dishonest.
Stony Brook is two words

Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I believe the Gold Coast started pretty close to Manhattan actually and spread east. Sands Point is much closer than Massa and with the roads back then its not even close.
The Gold Coast estates are generally considered to be homes built from about 1890-1930s during the explosion of wealth created by the second industrial revolution. It didn't start closer to Manhattan and spread East as you suggest. Wealthy people have always lived along the North Shore and been attracted to the serene beauty we have here. Some of the older estates, like Sagamore Hill (1884) in Cove Neck, can be found near the Nassau/Suffolk border. By the turn of the century, and definitely by the 20s there were sufficient roads and railroads to allow for development in places Massapequa, but the wealthy still preferred the North Shore.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
I just read through a thread where you repeatedly referred to the North Shore and its residents as "snobbish," "overrated," lacking "community feel," "entitled," having "superiority complexes," and being people that you don't want your kids to "associate with." These are all things I just read you say, so who's being ntellectually dishonest?

It's one thing to say it's not your cup-of-tea. It's another to lay stereotypes on people. Not everyone here is "snobbish" and lives lives of leisure off trust funds, not in CSH and especially not in places like Stony Brook and Miller Place (seriously, too much snobbery in Miller Place for you).

You also stated inaccuracies like "it takes 20 minutes to get to a highway" and "sports aren't competitive and there aren't enough students to sustain extracurriculars." Not true.

Quote:
When people are looking for a town with a community feel, this is exactly the kind of area they would love. It's the kind of neighborhood that you could go to your neighbor's house and ask for a cup of sugar. You see the parents of your children's classmates, their teachers, and the principal every day.
I've heard people say the same thing about Cold Spring Harbor.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
The Gold Coast estates are generally considered to be homes built from about 1890-1930s during the explosion of wealth created by the second industrial revolution. It didn't start closer to Manhattan and spread East as you suggest. Wealthy people have always lived along the North Shore and been attracted to the serene beauty we have here. Some of the older estates, like Sagamore Hill (1884) in Cove Neck, can be found near the Nassau/Suffolk border. By the turn of the century, and definitely by the 20s there were sufficient roads and railroads to allow for development in places Massapequa, but the wealthy still preferred the North Shore.
To wit: Jennings Estate in CSH; Ferguson Castle n Huntington Bay; Coindre Hall in Huntington 1912; Oheka 1914; Sherrewogue aka The Emmet Estate in Head of the Harbor was enlarged by Stamford White in 1895, Eagles Nest/Vanderbilt Estate in 1910; etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I just read through a thread where you repeatedly referred to the North Shore and its residents as "snobbish," "overrated," lacking "community feel," "entitled," having "superiority complexes," and being people that you don't want your kids to "associate with." These are all things I just read you say, so who's being ntellectually dishonest?

It's one thing to say it's not your cup-of-tea. It's another to lay stereotypes on people. Not everyone here is "snobbish" and lives lives of leisure off trust funds, not in CSH and especially not in places like Stony Brook and Miller Place (seriously, too much snobbery in Miller Place for you).

You also stated inaccuracies like "it takes 20 minutes to get to a highway" and "sports aren't competitive and there aren't enough students to sustain extracurriculars." Not true.

I've heard people say the same thing about Cold Spring Harbor.
If you had reading comprehension abilities, you would see that I was clearly responding negatively to one poster in particular, and highlighting his own snobbiness. Sorry if it wasn't clear to you.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Stony Brook is two words
Thanks for pointing that out! That highlights again, why my lack of intellect would make it nearly impossible for me to live in an area like Stony Brook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island