Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I think Salisbury used to be called South Westbury, it's the area just north of Eisenhower Park. Kensington is in the Great Neck area, Flower Hill is just south of Port Washington. I'm with you on Lindenhurst...although I don't see how Lindenhurst is any nicer than any of these other supposedly "marginal" white towns mentioned...
I never heard of any of those towns before today.
Are they real (have their own Zip code) or are they just areas?

Lindenhurst doesnt scare me in the slightest.
Its on par with West Babylon
Copiague is rough.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 09-28-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times
Lindenhurst is not bad, but it is...blah. Nice people and all, but the neighborhoods are just...blah, grid streets, capes, no sense of any architectual design character in the neighborhoods. Same goes for West Babylon, Deer Park, Selden and any many other Long Island neighborhoods.

Rule of thumb: any LI neighborhood developed in a grid pattern is...blah.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
When I said "marginal" areas in referring to those towns I was not talking code about "darker" people....please. I am not from long island originally and hate how segregated it is by train stop. It is ridiculous. My point on some of the "marginal" areas were in reference to some dumpier looking parts of the town where white, red, brown, and blue people live for all I know. Babylon Village is nice, but North Babylon is not as nice. If you had a choice why live in an area where you would prefer not to go a mile north. The school scores are mediocre in these areas as well. Not bad, not good. Farmingdale is adjoined to a lot of industrial area along 110. Not as nice near there, regardless of race creed or religion. I live in Suffolk. There are plenty of "marginal" areas that are very WHITE. It is offensive that you presume that is what I meant. When I moved to long island years ago it became clear to me I was one of the only democrats on the entire island...to presume any bias on my part is rude.

You're not alone -- we are loaded with Democrats in the Three Villages!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I apologize to everyone in the forum. I am simply on here now and again to share in the discussion about long island. I felt a little put upon by NYJoe with his sarcastic quips, which I should just ignore and move on from. As for North Shirley, and I say this half kidding, as a rule of thumb areas where people feel they have to draw a distinction based in particular on their geography within the town tend to be marginal...for example, South Setauket didn't seem to be as prevalent until folks figured it sounded better than Centereach and justified the price they paid on their home . North Shirley is still technically Shirley. My humble opinion.
The developer had to petition the USPS to use the name "South Setauket" for his postal mailing address, despite the fact that the mail would still be handled at 11720 -- the Centereach Post Office.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're not alone -- we are loaded with Democrats in the Three Villages!
Is that you Marsha Laufer?

Please get that A-hole Foley out...he's giving my party a bad name.

C

Old 09-28-2007, 09:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
[i]

First off my comments were not directed at you, but for whatever reason you have chosen start some debate. So, in response to your smug reply, I think North Babylon is not as nice because the school scores in that district compared to Babylon Village are simply not good, and a quick drive through either area shows the contrast in how the houses are kept. North Babylon area seems a bit dumpier to me. You don't agree? And Mr. Sarcasm, as for naming TWO areas that are marginal but white, Copaigue, Lindenhurst and Shirley (three) pop to mind immediately but I can certainly research more (they are all in excess of 80%white, schools are mediocre at best, kinda trashy areas). No offense to anyone in those towns, but I am not a fan. Just my opinion.

And as for your final Democrat comment, I should have been more clear. I FELT like one of the few democrats on the island, which if you are being honest and not obnoxious it is a pretty fair assessment when I moved here in '97, given the Nassau County Exec, Suffolk County Exec, and Townships where I lived like Brookhaven, Smithtown and Islip had not seen a Democratic leader in multiple decades (You can feel free to pull up some archane stat to dispute me, but let's be serious). I think Levy is the first Democrat in over 40 years? My apologies as Long Island has long been a bastion of multiple party rule...And as an aside, I am currently unaffiliated....

To start this off, I believe this board exists for the free exchange of ideas and opinions. Just because your post was not directed to me certainly did not preclude me from getting involved in the subject. What is wrong with starting a debate?? If you want a private convo, IM each other. Don't tell me I can't post my own opinion.

My reply was smug? How so? I was defending another poster who felt that to many people feel they cannot honestly express their opinions about how the subject of race is discussed. I agree with him. When calling an area"marginal", or "bad", or "not desirable", many people ARE referring to the racial makeup of that area. You may not like it that way, that is your choice. I believe nbres feels, as do I, that if we honestly express the opinion that any given neighborhood is not that good due to its' minority population, we'll get flamed for it. People feel they have to parse their every word so as not to offend anyone, must be politically correct at all times. SCREW THAT. Let people say what they want to say, and put an end to all the PC garbage.

I don't get how you think Lindenhurst is 'marginal'. I moved from Queens 18 years ago, so maybe you and I have different ideas what marginal means. If anything less than Babylon Village is, in your mind, marginal, that will be a lot of neighborhoods. However, I do agree that No. Babylon does not compare well to B. Village. IMHO, race does factor in here, as I feel it does in many areas. Don't agree with me? Fine. Doesn't mean I can't offer it up.

Finally, you accuse me of pulling up 'archane' stats to dispute you. Since when is the US Census considered arcane?? I will now sarcastically assume that you are someone who doesn't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Is that you Marsha Laufer?

Please get that A-hole Foley out...he's giving my party a bad name.

C
I'm not her, but believe me, Foley is NOT getting my vote!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:26 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
but your right...its very subjective.

C
A clam-man once said

"One man's Scruffolk is another man's Nassole".

This marginal stuff is all very subjective.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
I never heard of any of those towns before today.
Are they real (have their own Zip code) or are they just areas?

Lindenhurst doesnt scare me in the slightest.
Its on par with West Babylon
Copiague is rough.

C
Flower Hill and Kensington are both Villages, but one is Manhasset zip/schools and one is Great Neck. Salisbury (a hamlet) is a Westbury zip code although it's in the East Meadow school district. All of these places really exist despite not having zip codes. There's tons of places like this in Nassau County although I can't think of one in Suffolk....places like "South Setauket" and "North Mastic" aren't even official hamlets/CDPs, just neighborhoods with loosely defined borders. I think you can pretty much write anything on a piece of postage as long as the ZIP code is correct.

//www.city-data.com/city/Flower-Hill-New-York.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Kensington-New-York.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Salisbury-New-York.html

nbres - Lindy is laid out in a grid pattern going back to when it was called Breslau. I've got a map from the 1870s that shows the same streets that are there today...somehow most of the architecture didn't last from back then, though.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:25 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Lindenhurst is not bad, but it is...blah. Nice people and all, but the neighborhoods are just...blah, grid streets, capes, no sense of any architectual design character in the neighborhoods. Same goes for West Babylon, Deer Park, Selden and any many other Long Island neighborhoods.

Rule of thumb: any LI neighborhood developed in a grid pattern is...blah.

I agree with you that Lindenhurst and Deer Park are on the dull side. I think West Bab. has a little more personality. Either way, just because a neighborhood may be boring, it doesn't make it what some would call marginal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island