Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Loath that accent. Same with NJ and Queens, NY

other words they mispronounce Im playin tha numbiz you gonna play dem tew?

I just gotah bewteeful bunch of flowaaaassss from my sistahs

Thank you to my parents for sending me to finishing school I must be one of few who DO NOT and NEVER had a NYC Accent...... thank Gawd...lol
I say this every day. I also say cawl and I shop at the mawl. Wanna hangout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 03:40 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Too bad the Sauce Mawl with Fawtanawf's closed in Cahle Place.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
I gawt the same resawlts as Oh Bee Have and Lubby.

I was hardly shocked.

We should go the mawl for cawfee.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
You don't realize how thick your lawnguyland accent is until you are outside of NY.
I never knew that I had one until I left.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I gawt the same resawlts as Oh Bee Have and Lubby.

I was hardly shocked.

We should go the mawl for cawfee.
We'll hava cawfee and tawk about da watah.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,518,481 times
My wife and I don't have it...BUT my 5 year old does!!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,667,809 times
I have an anecdote related to the Lawn Guyland accent:

A friend from way back (thirty years ago) was going to Wash U. in St. Louis and happened to put on Jeopardy in the middle of the show. As she was watching she decided that one of the contestants had a decidedly LI accent. Well, the contestant with the accent won and at the end of the show the host of Jeopardy made some small talk with him and the contestant gave a shout out to New Hyde Park his hometown!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
True story. A few years ago, I was visiting The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home in Tennessee. I was standing around waiting for the guided tour to begin and as typical with these types of tours, the guide asked everyone where they were from. When asked, I replied New York, which I assume sounded like Noo Yawk. With comtempt in his voice (and I don't think I misread this) the guide replied "you sure are."

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,977 times
and you didnt say anything back to him? Should have unloaded a barrell of NY expletives on the good ole boy.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
True story. A few years ago, I was visiting The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home in Tennessee. I was standing around waiting for the guided tour to begin and as typical with these types of tours, the guide asked everyone where they were from. When asked, I replied New York, which I assume sounded like Noo Yawk. With comtempt in his voice (and I don't think I misread this) the guide replied "you sure are."
No, you probably didn't misread it.

People in the other 49 states do not necessarily hold people from New York in high esteem. If you get pulled over in the deep South with NY plates, you're going to have a much harder time than someone from another yankee state. But you don't have to go that far. South of Mason-Dixon, even in Maryland, New Yorkers are usually considered more an infestation than a migration.

I don't think the reputation is entirely justified, as when Southerners visit New York City, they tend to get a bang out of the abrasiveness. When you're here, you expect it as part of the culture.

It's when people from New York go elsewhere and expect everyone else to change to suit them or complain in a vocal and typically New York style about the local ways that it becomes a problem. ("Oh, moy GAWD, it's so SLOW!") Unfortunately, it happens enough that sometimes all it takes to get an unfairly cold welcome is for one to open one's yap, er, mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island