Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
A comment on the "feed the meter" thread about conductors got me to thinking about that storied group of trainmen and train women.

let's not discuss that they may (or may not be) overpaid. Let us discuss their work demeanour and appearance.

With over 20 years riding the rails I have noticed that conductors of late are slovenly and unprofessional. Their uniforms are dirty, unpressed, and some look like they were slept in. I remember when I started commuting most conductors took pride in their uniform...it was crisp and clean everyday. I suppose those were the older guys who started under the Pennsy RR.

Now how about they also go back to customer courtesy training. How many don't even mutter a thank you when you show them your ticket? How many look at you like they cant stand doing their job?

I have nothing against conductors. They are helpful when asked. Some are quite friendly but the majority need to realize they are the face of the LIRR and should present themselves as proud and dignified trainmen and women.

And lets not get on about women conductors. I don't know if the LIRR has a policy on the type of woman they will hire for the LIRR but some are surely in need a make-over. The majority seem quite overweight with little sense of how to apply make-up or do their hair. They don't need to look like flight attendants but they do need to look professional.

So what say you fellow commuters...do the LIRR conductors need some serious retraining or maybe...the LIRR management needs to do their job better?
I have nothing against fat people but OMG some of these conductors cannot fit down the aisle and then yell at the passengers b/c they can't fit. It's not my fault you ate 45 donuts for breakfast this morning. Don't yell at 100lb me to move so YOU can fit, lose some weight Moderator cut: language removed .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-09-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
What really bothered me were 2 conductors in particular, one who hit on me repeatedly after I said for him to stop and that I am engaged (I had my ring on) and another who had a conversation with me about how I should not get married! I really do not think either of these behaviours are appropriate.

yes my family is Irish and we like our "u's"

Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
I personally find the majority of conducters dress to satisfactory. As for attitudes, its no worse than today's overall society which isn't a compliment. I've been riding the LIRR on & off for over 2 decades plus.

Slightly off topic but related....our society seems to accept mediocrity & its almost a compliment to be called normal or acceptable.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
LMAO! They will get more respect from drunks, and and all the rude people because they are dressed nice?
Spoken like a true native born Long Islanders whose fashion sense comes from Big Bobs.

If you don't think a well tailored "uniform" does not make an impression with people you are sadly mistaken.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:55 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Spoken like a true native born Long Islanders whose fashion sense comes from Big Bobs.

If you don't think a well tailored "uniform" does not make an impression with people you are sadly mistaken.
I wasn't born on long island, and never stepped foot in Bobs. And do you really think the uniform matters to the rude, and drunk people? Absolutely not! I still have not seen the sloppy conductors you speak of. I guess they are on the babylon line you take. Just saying what I see on the Ronk branch every day.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 AM

28 posts, read 74,099 times
Ouch, this thread hurts, lol. I always make sure my uniform is clean before I head to work. Pants lint rolled free on my dogs hair, no wrinkles, etc. Most customers are nice, and I enjoy answering everyones questions. I actually had an offer for a slightly higher paying position with the RR recently, that didn't have to deal with the public, but I turned it down because I truly enjoy being on the trains and dealing with the public. Even the drunk trains can be fun.... and then some other times we have to call the cops, lol. I know people generally don't like us, think we get paid to much for "just punching holes in tickets" (which always makes me laugh), but I don't let it bother me, I just do the job to the best of my ability.

Oh, and do I think some of my coworkers take their shirts out of the hamper before work, and don't look at themselves in the mirror before they leave their house? Sure, but they are few and far between.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I wasn't born on long island, and never stepped foot in Bobs. And do you really think the uniform matters to the rude, and drunk people? Absolutely not! I still have not seen the sloppy conductors you speak of. I guess they are on the babylon line you take. Just saying what I see on the Ronk branch every day.
I'm on the Ronk branch everyday, its not the conductors who are the problem 99% of the time, its the slobs and morons on the train....

Saw a guy taking 3 seats and had his feet up on a rush hour train on the Ronk branch

Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I'm on the Ronk branch everyday, its not the conductors who are the problem 99% of the time, its the slobs and morons on the train....

Saw a guy taking 3 seats and had his feet up on a rush hour train on the Ronk branch
Yes...I agree!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post

The Ronk line is not noted for its high quality customers.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR99 View Post
. I know people generally don't like us,

Oh, and do I think some of my coworkers take their shirts out of the hamper before work, and don't look at themselves in the mirror before they leave their house? Sure, but they are few and far between.
I would not say people generally dislike conductors. They are probably indifferent but I dont think anyone truly dislikes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island