Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:48 PM

63 posts, read 297,999 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move into the Half Hollow Hills school district. We have seen a whole slew of houses in Dix Hills and Melville. I notice there are a few houses in Farmingdale that are also in the HHH school district.

Is this looked upon favorably (or not) by the people who live in DH or Melville and send their kids to HHH schools?

DH likes the "western location" and the sewers, but I'm concerned that the kids might have issues at school because of the Farmingdale address.

We do like a few other houses which are all in Dix Hills and 1 that is in Melville. We don't want to be close to the high tension wires and want to stay as far south as possible- preferably south of the LIE. I read the thread that at one time the further north you went, the more desireable the location. But for us, we need to stay south because of work and family.

Just looking for some honest opinions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
We also considered HHH towns of Dix Hills and Melville. Don't think there were any in Farmingdale or we wouldn't have minded either. The other kids won't care where your kids are from, but you and their parents might because of the driving distance when it comes time to get them together. HHH is pretty large to begin with so it's your call.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 PM

654 posts, read 2,119,888 times
I am not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the residents of DH frown upon Homeowners who live in Farmingdale and who are zone for HHH schools?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I am not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the residents of DH frown upon Homeowners who live in Farmingdale and who are zone for HHH schools?

yes....is this not well received by residents of DH/Melville or do they not care?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We also considered HHH towns of Dix Hills and Melville. Don't think there were any in Farmingdale or we wouldn't have minded either. The other kids won't care where your kids are from, but you and their parents might because of the driving distance when it comes time to get them together. HHH is pretty large to begin with so it's your call.

Yes, this was a thought of mine as well.

Also concerned about the time my kids may be on the bus going to/from school from Farmingdale area to elem/mid/high schools.

Anyone here happen to live in Farmingdale and send their kids to HHH schools? Send me a PM!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicool View Post
I notice there are a few houses in Farmingdale that are also in the HHH school district.
That would be East Farmingdale ("Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address).

Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
There are also areas in Deer Park, Wheatley Heights, Wyandanch, West Hills and South Huntington that are in the Half Hollow Hills Central School District.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There are also areas in Deer Park, Wheatley Heights, Wyandanch, West Hills and South Huntington that are in the Half Hollow Hills Central School District.
I believe the OP mentioned that her DH preferred Farmingdale because of the sewers - no sewers in the above mentioned areas...

Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 AM

253 posts, read 808,529 times
Is the Farmingdale SD that bad?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,994 times
My kids have friends that live by Farmingdale college. They went to-I dont know if its changed in the last couple of years-Chestnut Hill Elementary-it is a trip. When they went to middle school-West Hollow-it was much closer.

I figure you dont want to associate or be friends with people that frown upon you because of your address but I am guessing you might come across some snobbery about that-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island