Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM

79 posts, read 232,741 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a way to get to the hamptons for their night life (bars, clubs, etc) unfortunately, the only train out there doesn't arrive until almost midnight, and the only train back is at 7:30am the next day.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to get to and from the hamptons for a night out. I was the designated driver once, and the hour long drive from the hamptons to the babylon area was a bit rough at around 2:30am, I'm hoping to avoid spending an excessive amount of money to get back and forth.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM

241 posts, read 733,264 times
Hampton jitney

Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
That's a tough one. Do you have to come home that night? Can a few of you chip in on a hotel room in Riverhead? I did the Hamptons --> Massapequa when I was younger and after a night of dancing and carrying on, the ride home was awful. A few times with friends we booked a hotel room in Riverhead which made for a better night out.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM

79 posts, read 232,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's a tough one. Do you have to come home that night? Can a few of you chip in on a hotel room in Riverhead? I did the Hamptons --> Massapequa when I was younger and after a night of dancing and carrying on, the ride home was awful. A few times with friends we booked a hotel room in Riverhead which made for a better night out.
Yea that's my next option - unfortunately I was hoping to go a handful of times this summer and would end up getting expensive to having to keep getting rooms, but I guess that might be the best way.

@UpIslander - I checked out the Jitney too, their only pickup near me (in the babylon area) is at the Islip airport, but they also don't have rides home until 6:20am.

I guess I just don't understand how so many people go out there, I mean the bars around here are practically deserted over the summer.

Thanks all

Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM

186 posts, read 713,902 times
The sad truth of it is that most people drive home drunk.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,712,408 times
Most? I think the cops would deal with "most" pretty quick. Some...not most

Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,958 times
I'd say most. Look at the po-po blotter on monday. I was coming into work on a Sunday morning about 6 and the drunkies are OUT!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM

322 posts, read 938,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsui View Post
Yea that's my next option - unfortunately I was hoping to go a handful of times this summer and would end up getting expensive to having to keep getting rooms, but I guess that might be the best way.

@UpIslander - I checked out the Jitney too, their only pickup near me (in the babylon area) is at the Islip airport, but they also don't have rides home until 6:20am.

I guess I just don't understand how so many people go out there, I mean the bars around here are practically deserted over the summer.

Thanks all
Most young people find a house rental or summer share and just stay out there for whichever or how many weekends they pay for. Works for some, others may not like sharing a house/room/bed with 5-20 potential strangers.

There is also Fire Island, although it's almost essential to get some form of lodging if you plan to go there for nightlife.

Personally, I think the Hamptons are overrated. Plus, Babylon is usually pretty packed on the weekends, even in the summer. Several bars have outdoor seating/service and your a short walk from the LIRR.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,172,764 times
This x10.

Seen it for many years, Im sure its the same as it always was. Always that one who only had a 6 pack and can drive everyone....legally or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
The sad truth of it is that most people drive home drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island