Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM

16 posts, read 30,996 times

Advertisements

Both my newlywed husband (2 months) and I have lived in Nassau County our entire lives. We are now looking at houses and taxes in nassau are way too high for us. We are looking in Suffolk but not that far out because DH works in Brooklyn and I work in Jericho. I have a few questions about West Babylon. I know to stay South of the Southern State but I was wondering about the numbered streets? I read in some threads to stay away from those areas as well. I also know to look for houses zoned in the west babylon school district. Any advice would be helpful. We definitely will be having children in the near future so I need a somewhat safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
I knew someone who lived in that area. It wasnt bad at all. Just a working class neighborhood.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisd21 View Post
Both my newlywed husband (2 months) and I have lived in Nassau County our entire lives. We are now looking at houses and taxes in nassau are way too high for us. We are looking in Suffolk but not that far out because DH works in Brooklyn and I work in Jericho. I have a few questions about West Babylon. I know to stay South of the Southern State but I was wondering about the numbered streets? I read in some threads to stay away from those areas as well. I also know to look for houses zoned in the west babylon school district. Any advice would be helpful. We definitely will be having children in the near future so I need a somewhat safe area.
Ok, just to clarify some things. You don't HAVE to stay south of the Southern State Pkwy. North of the parkway is really not a bad area, it's a solid middle class area that unfortunately borders some not-so-good areas so every once in a blue moon(very very rarely), there is an incident/spillover. Safety is not an issue at all there.

And North Babylon School District and West Babylon School District are very similar to each other in terms of performance and quality.

And there is really nothing wrong with the numbered streets. I actually don't even know why somebody would even bring it up and tell you to avoid it. That's probably the best part of WB since it's most convenient to the downtown area on Little East Neck Rd and tends to have larger properties/homes than the parts closer to Montauk Hwy.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-14-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
I lived in W.Bab for close to 2 years. It wasn't bad. As Gpsma said, typical south shore working class neighborhood.

Just watchout for what I like to call "pride in ownership." It's readily visible when you drive around. The state of the house speaks for the type of people that live there.
Also, many homes are multi-family. Not in an illegal sense (though those exist too, I lived in one!), but many kids in their 30's and their family living at home with mom and dad. Not knocking that, but it sucks when most of the houses have three, four, or five cars, which overflow into the street. Maybe you're used to tight parking being from Nassau, though.

Being close to Babylon Village is nice. Very nice.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
West Babylon is in the Southwest Sewer District, so taxes aren't exactly low - although that's all relative
It certainly isn't a bad place to live.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM

245 posts, read 495,463 times
DH grandmother lives is W.Bab for over 60 years off of Arnold Ave. The only problem she has ever had is flooding in her basement with heavy rain so she has left it unfinished and has washer and dryer on blocks.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 AM

308 posts, read 445,747 times
I've lived in West Babylon my entire life, sans 2 years I lived in Farmingdale. I grew up in the number streets off of Wellwood, and I live off Belmont now. One thing I did notice when we were looking at houses is that the houses in North Babylon schoold district had lower taxes, but only by about $1k or so. In the 30+ years I've lived here we've never had any problems. I do agree though that you should stay south of the Parkway.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
DH grandmother lives is W.Bab for over 60 years off of Arnold Ave. The only problem she has ever had is flooding in her basement with heavy rain so she has left it unfinished and has washer and dryer on blocks.
The address I lived at was off of Arnold, too. The LL also had an unfinished basement that was prone to "moisture." I don't think her's actually flooded, but other houses on the block would be actively pumping water into the street after big rain.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
If you want lower taxes and still want to be on the Suffolk border, why not also look into Farmingdale, Lindenhurst, or Melville?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
Well, I am sorry Melville probably has higher taxes than Babylon but I believe Farmingdale and Lindenhurst are comparable when it comes to housing values and school districts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island