Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM

130 posts, read 384,989 times

Advertisements

So my mother in law is coming to visit us soon and she really wants to do some touristy stuff like go to the Statue Of Liberty and such. I want to also find some things in Nassau rather than in the city that we could do (me, my husband, and my mother in law) and hopefully find some deals on them? I can't think of anything except for kayaking or going to the whale museum in Cold Spring Harbor. I did some research but everything I find is for families with little kids. I wanted to go to Fire Island but we want to keep it in Nassau County. We're open to doing anything really but we want to try to look for things that aren't too expensive. Can any of you think of super touristy things to do in Nassau? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM

376 posts, read 1,018,126 times
JONES BEACH during a rip tide !!! LOL

Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,118,065 times
Visit Old Westbury Gardens

Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 PM

93 posts, read 243,023 times
The webpage below has some good ideas and following links provide further ideas with 'walking tours', etc.
http://longisland.about.com/od/landm...ttractions.htm

Not free but Old Bethpage Village Restoration
old_bethpage_rest

Eisenhower Park
Old Westbury Gardens

There is a winery in Locust Valley. I don't know but would think there is a tasting room.

Sagamore Hill (with most of day in Bayville)
Belmont Park (not sure if the weekend tours are free or not but $3 to enter)
Oheka Castle
Nunley's Carousel in Garden City

Suffolk County: Vanderbilt Museum (your library may have 2 free tickets available)
Sunken Meadow Park/Beach with boardwalk...
Hecksher Park (with art museum) and free show in park in evening
Port Jefferson (and eat across from the ferry in that outdoor place connected to the old sweet shop)

Last edited by franaissance; 06-19-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,193,939 times
Don't know when your MIL is coming to visit, but at the moment, the Vanderbilt Museum is still closed for renovations. Should re-open by early July, I believe - check their website. They have their first annual clam bake scheduled for July 14th!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,193,939 times
Since you're considering the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum, why not take in a tour of Cold Spring Harbor Labs that day (on Saturdays, by appt. only 516-367-8455, or www.cshl.edu ), and on the same day go "across the street" to visit the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery and Aquarium (516-692-6768 www.cshfha.org )

A little more West: the Science Museum of Long Island in Manhasset (516-627-9400 www.smli.org )

Another museum worth visiting is the Cradle of Aviation in Garden City (516-572-4111 www.cradleofaviation.org ) They also have a giant screen dome theatre with continuous daily shows. Don't know how often they change, but when I visited they showed hurricane chasers and the films they shot - it's like you're right there, with the crew in their vehicles, and the hurricanes all around you--quite the experience!

The above and others already mentioned are but a few of the things to do and see! Have fun

Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 AM

20,971 posts, read 28,513,963 times
Take her out to lunch on Freeport to one the restaurants on the nautical mile.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,416,099 times
Planting Fields Arboretum!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM

573 posts, read 1,244,899 times
Cross county lines and go to Splish Splash, then take your mother in law on the cliff diver.

Or you could go down to Long Beach and make a day of it.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,770,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
The webpage below has some good ideas and following links provide further ideas with 'walking tours', etc.
Long Island's Historic Places and Attractions

Not free but Old Bethpage Village Restoration
old_bethpage_rest

Eisenhower Park
Old Westbury Gardens

There is a winery in Locust Valley. I don't know but would think there is a tasting room.

Sagamore Hill (with most of day in Bayville)
Belmont Park (not sure if the weekend tours are free or not but $3 to enter)
Oheka Castle
Nunley's Carousel in Garden City

Suffolk County: Vanderbilt Museum (your library may have 2 free tickets available)
Sunken Meadow Park/Beach with boardwalk...
Hecksher Park (with art museum) and free show in park in evening
Port Jefferson (and eat across from the ferry in that outdoor place connected to the old sweet shop)
Sagamore Hill -- the house is closed for renovations.

Nassau County Museum of Art in Roslyn. It is the old 'Gold Coast' Frick estate. $10 adults; $8 62 and up; $2 to park
Nassau County Museum of Art

Bayard Cutting Arboretum $8 to park
The Bayard Cutting Arboretum

The LI Museum at Stony Brook $1 admission on THURSDAYS otherwise $9 adult; $7 senior
The Long Island Museum
You can spend quite a lot of time here and then head to Stony Brook Village or Port Jefferson for lunch/dinner

Old Bethpage Village Restoration $10 adults; $7 seniors
old_bethpage_rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island