Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has any experience that can assist my husband and I with a question.

We have a Levitt home in Levittown (nassau county) and we wanted to dormer the upstairs (front and back) and add a full 2 bedroom apartment (with a kitchen and bathroom).

We want to do everything legally. Our goal is to rent it out for a few years to get some addtional income to help out my husband's mother. Down the road, she may eventually move upstairs (but not now).

We are wondering if this should be zoned as a mother/daughter or a legal 2 family. Does anyone know tax implications for pros and cons for each.

We are going to get paperwork from the Town of Hempstead tomorrow, but I just wanted opinions from people with experience. We'eve never done construction before and we want to be well-informed before we hire an architect.

Thank you. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
You will get taxed musch less as a mother/daughter. IMO go that route....good luck....TOH is not the most helpful building department.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
It is also much easier to get a permit for a mother/daughter then it is for a full blown two family. But, it sounds like you are going to rent it out to someone other then your mother, initially, so legally what you should really be getting is an accessory apartment permit.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM

TomMoser

Thank you for the advice. My husband stopped by the town today (instead of tomorrow) to get paperwork before I read your post. I did look for accessory apartment permits on the Town of Hempstead website and there is no information on it at all as an option. They just have 2 family and mother/daughter permits. I guess we'll have to make another trip.

One other question. If there is no stove on the second floor and we rent it out to someone, is that still considered an illegal apartment. We really want to do things the right way, but the TOH according to my husband already seems unhelpful.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
TomMoser

One other question. If there is no stove on the second floor and we rent it out to someone, is that still considered an illegal apartment. We really want to do things the right way, but the TOH according to my husband already seems unhelpful.
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that this would violate anything because it is akin to just renting out a room in your home. However, I would check with the town to be sure.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 16,730 times
I was wondering what you wound up doing. I live in a Levitt in North Wantagh and I am facing the same dilemma. Were you able to obtain an accessary apartment permit or convert to a legal two? Was it very difficult?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 AM

We decided to wait on the dormer.

I had a baby and took a year off from work, so financially we wouldn't be able to swing it right now. We don't want to rent it out (too many horror stories) so we decided to wait and see what our growing family needs and then do it right once. (Plus my MIL's health issues mean she can't move in with us.

It is definitely in our future plans, but it is on the backburner right now.

Good luck on your plans.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 20,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
TomMoser

Thank you for the advice. My husband stopped by the town today (instead of tomorrow) to get paperwork before I read your post. I did look for accessory apartment permits on the Town of Hempstead website and there is no information on it at all as an option. They just have 2 family and mother/daughter permits. I guess we'll have to make another trip.

Even though you don't have a stove, if you have a sink and key lock access door knobs in other than the outside door(like a door going from your part of the house to the proposed apartment), they still can be considered illegal. Let me know how you make out as I am also looking into a mother/daughter conversion but still in the preliminary stage.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 14,092 times
Hi,
I just bought a single family house and want to get a mother daughter permit to rent the other half. What is the procedure and docs required. Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Every town is different. Start with your town building department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: