Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:33 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Hi I totally agree with clamboy also, I was the middle income girl in the affluent district, Smithtown, my parents esp. my Mom tried to act like she could afford what the doctors could, I think this is so sad. Kids made fun of my clothes, my car, everything. I am well rounded because I went to business school, and yes some of growing up in Smithtown had something to do with it. However my husband went to Comsewegue more working class and had much better opportunities than I did. My friend went to North Babylon, and all her brothers and sisters went to college and did fine. So, lets here it for Comsewogue, Middle Country, North Babylon, Lindenhurst, and Rock Point districts!

I wholeheartedly agree ...

I wouldve been much more comfortable in a Comsewogue or Rocky Point than 3V.

The bitter lesson for my parents generation was...even if you win the rat race, youre still a rat.

I suspect the whole "Gotta put my kids in the best of the best" BS has much to do with them growing up poor and overcompensating out of fear.

Have you ever seen a Depression era kid eat a lobster?

How do you say "no thanks" to your Mom who grew up in the NYC Projects?
All she sees when she drives past Ward Mellville is Pillars and Sailboats and crap.
She was completely asleep to blatant materialism and subtle shallowness that filled the halls there.
Who needs racism when we have classism?

Mom did her best.I completely salute her efforts and her intent.
However, in the final analysis of "Was it worth it?"(watching my father run around like he had a gun to his head to keep up with the Schwartz's) the answer would be NO.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I agree with you on this. But my happy medium may not be yours.

What is YOUR definition of a happy medium?
For Suffolk: Miller Place/Longwood/Comsewogue/Sachem/Rocky Point/West North Babylon/Kings Park/Elwood would be fine.

Nassau's Queens to me.

C

Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
As a recent High School graduate, I believe it doesn't matter what school you go to, there is always going to be a "Keeping up with the Jones'" atittude among high school kids."Oh man you're cars a piece of crap, check out my Hummer." "All the dirtbags live in Sound Beach." I know that I was guilty of it too. If someone lives in a sh&%ty house they're going to be called trashy behind their back, it's not just kids, adults do the same thing. As far as material possessions, keeping up in fashion and the newest gadgets was crucial and of course there were some kids who people knew were "poor", but we wouldn't outwardly say anything to them, or tease them about it. There is always going to be the haves and the havenots, no matter what school district you're in. Alot of times it's the middle class kids who are more braggy about possessions than upper class kids. To a middle class kid a new Beamer is a dream come true, to an upper class kid it's expected.
That is an excellent point.
Old money generally keeps in on the DL.

The problem is that LI is overrun with the Mcmansion families who dont really own anything and are extended way beyond their means just for the bling.

Somedays this island feels 120 miles wide and about 2 inches deep.

Badabing!

C

Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I'd much rather see my neighbors take care of their own property than a bunch of hired hands - those landscape crews are much louder and leave behind clippings which they blow onto your property.

I think you misunderstand me. I would worry more about living around snobby middle/upper middle class people than regular good ol'American folk. As I look out my front window I can see at least TEN American Flags flying. You don't see that in Dix Hills or should I say Dicks Hills.

My point is is it really better in those other areas. I'm still waiting for a convincing post based on sound reason. But here is a new question to mull,

Are there any areas that represent a happy medium and if so where on LI?

It sounds to me that you already have your mind made up about wealthy vs average districts, to be honest.

Again, I really need to understand what you consider a happy medium.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Nbres

Stay put brother.

Dont be that guy.... dead at 60.

Get to a Civic meeting
Fight like hell.

F Dix Hills...Its about as interesting as Manorville ; )
Get a bigger house in North Babylon ..you love it there.

If youre really unhappy with the changes there and you feel you cant fix it ..give Miller Place/Rocky Point/Ridge/Wading River a look.Its got more of an upscale feel with working class roots.

C

Quote:
You ask some good questions Glad2bHere and I will try to answer.

Well the reason is I need a bigger house. My family has grown. I don't know if I should put on a major extension on my existing home here in North Babylon or sell and buy a bigger home in a "better" area/school district.

The second reason, and I know some of you will call me names, but I am worried about the changing demographics. Less White and more minorities of all types.
Will NB hold out or will it become like another Valley Stream or Baldwin? But whats the difference if every area is changing or will change soon enough. Is it worth the effort to try to avoid non-whites. Half Hollow Hills racial demographics aren't much different than NB's, but the class structure is much different with larger gaps between the have-nots, haves and have-mores.

As of now my kids are doing extremely well in school where they are. They are very happy and have made lots of friends. They are involved in sports, etc...We fit in economically and socially for the most part. My wife really doesn't want to leave. I vacilate between staying put and going.

I don't really know what the benefit of moving into a better area would be. I know from personal experience that being in a top school district is no guarantee of future success.
In fact there are lots of advantages to being in a working class school district, especially when your kids are motivated to do well.

Again, need for bigger house. Concerns about the areas changing demographics. Also, I am concerned how other perceive NB (wrongly in my opinion), but it does have an effect on home values, etc...

My only complaint would be that I'm one of the well educated people in my area - which limits any kind of imtellectual stimulating conversations, hence one reason I'm on this forum. However, I grew up in an upper middle class area and that has its drawbacks too.

As Clamboy said on another post, it sucks to be the poor working/middle class kid in an middle/upper middle classs area. I don't want to buy one of the cheapest homes in Dix Hills and work to just pay the mortgage. I don't want to not be able to do anything for my kids - sports, etc... I will explain all this further on another post.

All comments and advice are as always is welcomed.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:52 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Lets get back on track, shall we.

Sean said, (I apologize for not giving you credit for the second quotation in the post above)

Why? I would like to read your reason.

I'm very confused about this myself. People often say to me, "Why do you live in North Babylon, why don't you move to a better area with better schools." My answer has always been that I like where I am. I feel very comfortable. I don't feel like I have to play keeping up with the Jonses. My kids fit in with the other kids - and actually have what they have or more. Everyone in my family is happy. Though at times I do think about moving. Is it really better somewhere else?

How would moving into an upper middle class district improve the quality of education for my kids?

Would the schools matter if the kids don't feel comfortable or worse, they might feel alienated?
If you're comfortable and your kids are comfortable than there's no place better. I think upper class kids grow up in Disney World and I don't want my eventual children even being exposed to that. Most upper class kids I knew growing up were only identifiable as human being by their physical traits...I'm talking family members too because I've got a lot on the north shore. I don't think there's any difference between the schools and it's more based on the individual...any college is going to take a kid who excelled in any HS regardless of what the internet tells you about that SD. Is it going to be harder to "excel" in a district that has poor test scores? If anything I would think it would be easier.

I also want my children to appreciate the values of working on junky cars in the driveway and having a BBQ on the weekends drinking some beers in the backyard.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
If you're comfortable and your kids are comfortable than there's no place better. I think upper class kids grow up in Disney World and I don't want my eventual children even being exposed to that. Most upper class kids I knew growing up were only identifiable as human being by their physical traits...I'm talking family members too because I've got a lot on the north shore. I don't think there's any difference between the schools and it's more based on the individual...any college is going to take a kid who excelled in any HS regardless of what the internet tells you about that SD. Is it going to be harder to "excel" in a district that has poor test scores? If anything I would think it would be easier.

I also want my children to appreciate the values of working on junky cars in the driveway and having a BBQ on the weekends drinking some beers in the backyard.

Amen..

I want them to babysit and mow lawns to pay for that junky car too.

Sadly LI traded parents for paychecks and its work ethic for migrant workers years ago.

C

C

Old 09-30-2007, 11:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
I have the say the responses on this thread have been great. Thanks.

I would love to respond to much of what everyone has posted, but it will take some time.

Quote:
So, lets here it for Comsewogue, Middle Country, North Babylon, Lindenhurst, and Rock Point districts!
Bravo...

I just got back from Soccer. NB Patriot League. To me this is what is great about NB. I'm sure lots of other places have the same spirit. But not in those middle/upper middle areas from my experience.

I grew up in a middle/upper middle class area and went to a supposedly great LI school (its one of these: Roslyn, Manhasset, Herricks, Syosset, or Great Neck; I want to keep that about myself confidential). Did I get a better education there than I would have in North Babylon. Hard to say, I spent a lot of time cutting class and smoking pot, didn't really learn anything from my teachers. Everyone passed and graduated on time, but in retrospect I shouldn't have. So what happened? I suspect massive grade inflation to make the district look good and to keep the parents off the back of the administration. I bet it still goes on - so don't read so much into the numbers that are published.

Best way to judge a school district in Academic terms, in my opinion, is by SAT mean and median scores and Advanced Placement Test results. These are the only tests graded outside the school district, but graded by the College Board. All the regents are graded in house and therefore suspect.

But the best way to judge the quality of any school district is by observing whether or not your child is happy and doing well. If your child is happy and doing well then the school district is great. If your child is unhappy and not doing well then it is perhaps time to go someplace else.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Besides North Babylon has about the best Christmas spirit I have ever seen!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
I have the say the responses on this thread have been great. Thanks.

I would love to respond to much of what everyone has posted, but it will take some time.

Bravo...

I just got back from Soccer. NB Patriot League. To me this is what is great about NB. I'm sure lots of other places have the same spirit. But not in those middle/upper middle areas from my experience.

I grew up in a middle/upper middle class area and went to a supposedly great LI school (its one of these: Roslyn, Manhasset, Herricks, Syosset, or Great Neck; I want to keep that about myself confidential). Did I get a better education there than I would have in North Babylon. Hard to say, I spent a lot of time cutting class and smoking pot, didn't really learn anything from my teachers. Everyone passed and graduated on time, but in retrospect I shouldn't have. So what happened? I suspect massive grade inflation to make the district look good and to keep the parents off the back of the administration. I bet it still goes on - so don't read so much into the numbers that are published.

Best way to judge a school district in Academic terms, in my opinion, is by SAT mean and median scores and Advanced Placement Test results. These are the only tests graded outside the school district, but graded by the College Board. All the regents are graded in house and therefore suspect.

But the best way to judge the quality of any school district is by observing whether or not your child is happy and doing well. If your child is happy and doing well then the school district is great. If your child is unhappy and not doing well then it is perhaps time to go someplace else.

Yup.. North Babylon Soccer is AWESOME>. and one of the best. I was raised in N. Babylon and played soccer on the LIJ soccer level for N. Babylon Patriot League as did my brothers. As a matter of fact my mom RAN the indoor soccer tournaments for like 15 years and also served on the LIJ Board and was inducted into the hall of fame. The League people are really a tight knit group and some of hte parents (like my mom) stay involved till well after their kids are grown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island