Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 PM

734 posts, read 1,637,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Facts of Child Hunger in America
  • Nearly 14 million children are estimated to be served by Feeding America, over 3 million of which are ages 5 and under.
  • According to the USDA, over 16 million children lived in food insecure (low food security and very low food security) households in 2010.
  • More than 20% of the child population in 37 states and D.C. lived in food insecure households in 2010. The District of Columbia (30.7%), Oregon and Arizona (both 29.0%) had the highest rates of children in households without consistent access to food.
  • In 2010, the top five states with the highest rate of food insecure children under 18 are the District of Columbia, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, & Florida.
  • In 2010, the top five states with the lowest rate of food insecure children under 18 are North Dakota, New Hampshire, Virginia, Minnesota, & Massachusetts.
  • Proper nutrition is vital to the growth and development of children. 62 percent of client households with children under the age of 18 reported participating in the National School Lunch Program, but only 14 percent reported having a child participate in a summer feeding program that provides free food when school is out.
  • 54 percent of client households with children under the age of 3 participated in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
  • 32 percent of pantries, 42 percent of kitchens, and 18 percent of shelters in the Feeding America network reported "many more children in the summer" being served by their programs.i
  • In 2010, 16.4 million or approximately 22 percent of children in the U.S. lived in poverty.
  • Research indicates that hungry children have do more poorly in school and have lower academic achievement because they are not well prepared for school and cannot concentrate. v
  • In fiscal year 2009, 48 percent of all SNAP participants were children.
  • During the 2010 federal fiscal year, 20.6 million low-income children received free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program. Unfortunately, just 2.3 million of these same income-eligible children participated in the Summer Food Service Program that same year.
Come down by me and take a 35 minute drive and I could show you some children that look like they are suffering from Kwashiorkor

Ok this will shut the thread. How many of these kids are here due to illegal parents and how many does my tax money feed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 PM

734 posts, read 1,637,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Ok this will shut the thread. How many of these kids are here due to illegal parents and how many does my tax money feed?
and P.S. How much money do you donate to this problem? ha ha

Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,002,442 times
Quote:
We're probably the only country on the planet that put dogs ahead of humans

Yes they are bad but .... maybe we should be more concerned with the homeless, starving children and abused children and the abuse and mistreatment of the elderly, drug addicts, losing young men and women in the war, but everyone gets so upset about these puppy mills.

It amazes me the a lot of people become more emotional over the abuse of animals than humans.
C'mon, you know this stuff is not mutually exclusive. The thread is about pet stores.
Dogs are generally better people than most people.

The abuse of dogs is easily solvable. The abuse of humans over one another goes back to the beginning of time. Not so easy to solve. Everyone who tries gets killed.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM

477 posts, read 1,407,679 times
Quote:
He should hand over half his paycheck to the mothers collecting foodstamps and welfare. I bet it will help pay for her iphone bill this month or her nails.

As someone that works in the medical field, about 1/2 my shifts in pediatrics, I have yet to see a child who is starved like the children are in other parts of the world. Not one. Food stamps, WIC, school lunch programs, all are ways for children to eat. If a child goes to school or to a pediatrician which 99.99% of kids do, starvation is easily spotted and the authorities involved.

Anyway, abuse of children and animals are very similar to me. They are both helpless, and need our help.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,712,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
He should hand over half his paycheck to the mothers collecting foodstamps and welfare. I bet it will help pay for her iphone bill this month or her nails.

As someone that works in the medical field, about 1/2 my shifts in pediatrics, I have yet to see a child who is starved like the children are in other parts of the world. Not one. Food stamps, WIC, school lunch programs, all are ways for children to eat. If a child goes to school or to a pediatrician which 99.99% of kids do, starvation is easily spotted and the authorities involved.

Anyway, abuse of children and animals are very similar to me. They are both helpless, and need our help.
Children are starving, children are fat...the libs need to make up their minds.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,001 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post

This year alone we(myself and two partners) have donated over 10k in cash donations to various charities and probably will hit over 20k by the end of the year. Plus we run fundraisers for schools and hospitals and even various shelters and rescue dogs facilities.

My wife once a month travels on a Care-a-van and have personal seen some of these children, you have to remember this isn't long Island but very rural and poverty stricken areas. Iphones some don't even have sneakers.

Down here my children have to take civic classes and every month or two they have two volunteer their time for a good cause. They have worked with the food bank, angel tree, RAL and Angel dogs. One time one of my sons thought outside the sheet and decided to feed the homeless in Monroe park. We made 100 sandwiches and bought 100 bottles of water. Lets just say this didn't last the 2 hour time allotted.
I bought the whole family and since this experience we do this on the last Sunday of the month and trust me my daughter reminds me way before time.

We also "adopt" families during the holidays and sometimes beyond. My wife spends more on clothes for these newborns and toddlers than she spends on our kids. She loves picking out these outfits, I guess she misses doing it for our own children. Sometime I don't know if those are tears of happiness or sadness probably both.

I try and do my part, do you?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM

149 posts, read 345,872 times
wow.....what on earth have I started ?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,002,442 times
Quote:
This year alone we(myself and two partners) have donated over 10k in cash donations to various charities and probably will hit over 20k by the end of the year. Plus we run fundraisers for schools and hospitals and even various shelters and rescue dogs facilities.

My wife once a month travels on a Care-a-van and have personal seen some of these children, you have to remember this isn't long Island but very rural and poverty stricken areas. Iphones some don't even have sneakers.

Down here my children have to take civic classes and every month or two they have two volunteer their time for a good cause. They have worked with the food bank, angel tree, RAL and Angel dogs. One time one of my sons thought outside the sheet and decided to feed the homeless in Monroe park. We made 100 sandwiches and bought 100 bottles of water. Lets just say this didn't last the 2 hour time allotted.
I bought the whole family and since this experience we do this on the last Sunday of the month and trust me my daughter reminds me way before time.

We also "adopt" families during the holidays and sometimes beyond. My wife spends more on clothes for these newborns and toddlers than she spends on our kids. She loves picking out these outfits, I guess she misses doing it for our own children. Sometime I don't know if those are tears of happiness or sadness probably both.

I try and do my part, do you?
Respectfully BM, all good and admirable stuff, but you are the one who took this thread way off course. While all of that is truly important, it in no way relates to someone wanting a puppy being educated on the importance of adopting over buying from a commercial source. Why does one good thing have to be negated because you think something else is more important? They are not related except that they are both societal problems at large.

The OP wants a dog and asked for advice. Learned adopting is better than buying from a store. What does that have to do with child hunger?! Why do you assume someone who cares about animals does NOT care about other problems? It's inaccurate, knee jerk sterotyping and insulting. Some of us can care about suffering across the spectrum, doesn't mean we exclude humans (except me personally; me and humans have issues! ). The question was about dogs.

If you start a child hunger thread, I promise not to post about puppy mills.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Respectfully BM, all good and admirable stuff, but you are the one who took this thread way off course. While all of that is truly important, it in no way relates to someone wanting a puppy being educated on the importance of adopting over buying from a commercial source. Why does one good thing have to be negated because you think something else is more important? They are not related except that they are both societal problems at large.

The OP wants a dog and asked for advice. Learned adopting is better than buying from a store. What does that have to do with child hunger?! Why do you assume someone who cares about animals does NOT care about other problems? It's inaccurate, knee jerk sterotyping and insulting. Some of us can care about suffering across the spectrum, doesn't mean we exclude humans (except me personally; me and humans have issues! ). The question was about dogs.

If you start a child hunger thread, I promise not to post about puppy mills.
Goose,

As usual this thread started with a legitimate question and I was the first to response and gave true, accurate advice without putting my personal views on the matter

You were the second to respond and called the OP and the family boring, which I didn't find too funny but what you say next is simply not true..... "There is something wrong with all puppy stores" While it is true that some puppy stores do stock some or even all their animals from puppy mills not all work this way. I know some hard working owners that are 100% legit Yes it would me more "PC or " the right thing to do" to adopt from a shelter or rescue facility but some people want 100% with papers purebreds not all of these dogs come from mills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
Dont shake your finger at me I was just looking at puppies for the day. Petting puppies for 1/2 hour was a nicebreak for the kids after shopping at home depot with me Everyone has their own opinions on where to buy a puppy, I personally would go to a shelter rescue first. I do not need a "pure breed" I just want a nice puppy/dog that would join our family. Ive seen a great bumper sticker before, Inside a paw print it says "who saved who?" There are so many dogs out there that need a nice home and I will find ours one day. It just bothered me that day when they were all sleeping, happy to hear others say that it was bad timing or nap time. Thanks everyone
A specific question about a specific location becomes....

Then everyone attacked the poor OP on wanting to buy a dog rather than adopting and he/she took a lot of flack and this thread which morphed into puppy mills/cruelty to animals/ puppy farms/ Oprah Winfrey....people's personal opinions They took this thread to Defcon 4 Then yes I took it to Defcon 3 and went off base ( had a few in me) and was wrong and against my better judgement.

I still stand by my initial advice #2 on page 1...go back at different times and different days and get a truer prospective on the place.

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-02-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,679 times
All pet store puppies come from mills period. Any reputable would never sell to a pet store, they choose the home the dog is going to, guarantee their pup and will take back any dog if the buyer can't keep it as well as ensuring that the dog is fixed before giving the papers to the new owner unless the dog is being shown.

There are reputable breeders out there who people can go to to get thier purebreds if a rescue isn't appealing to them. The papers mean nothing if you are not breeding or showing your dog. I never requested the papers or my dog because she is a pet not a show dog and those papers arent worth the paper they are printed on for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island