Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM

149 posts, read 345,577 times

Advertisements

Yesterday around 3pm my husband and I brought our 3 kids to a puppy store in Riverhead and ALL the puppies were fast asleep !!! The first thing that crossed my mind was maybe they were "drugged". Im no puppy expert but is it possible the puppies were bored and just went to sleep ? Even when we were walking around the puppies would raise their heads and looked groggy and put their heads back down. A few woke and got excited but more just went back to sleep. There were about 3 labs in a crib infront of the window, sun shining in, they wouldnt budge, even when my 4 year old knocked on the window. I left there with such a sad feeling........................guess I just wanted to see if there is a good explanation as to why (other than drugging) the puppies were so out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
Yesterday around 3pm my husband and I brought our 3 kids to a puppy store in Riverhead and ALL the puppies were fast asleep !!! The first thing that crossed my mind was maybe they were "drugged". Im no puppy expert but is it possible the puppies were bored and just went to sleep ? Even when we were walking around the puppies would raise their heads and looked groggy and put their heads back down. A few woke and got excited but more just went back to sleep. There were about 3 labs in a crib infront of the window, sun shining in, they wouldnt budge, even when my 4 year old knocked on the window. I left there with such a sad feeling........................guess I just wanted to see if there is a good explanation as to why (other than drugging) the puppies were so out of it.
Simple 3pm is nap time....it amazes me that all the dogs are on the same schedule

They might be giving them something to calm them down. I bought a puppy from shake a paw in Lynbrook exactly 4 years ago to the day. He was so calm and mellow for a pup but soon after his true colors came out. He ran wildly around for hours and chewed most of our furniture up. He's a good dog now!

I would go back at a different time like in the morning and see if the dogs are more active

Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Maybe you're boring!

sorry, just couldn't resist.

BTW, something is wrong with all puppy stores. Go to a shelter and adopt. Those dogs will greet you like a dog should and there are plenty of puppy choices.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
Pet stores that sell pups will swear up and down they are not from puppy mills. They will tell you they have "papers". Those AKC papers are available for a fee. Those ARE puppy mill dogs!!!!!!!! Before considering buying a dog, please do some research on puppy mills. You will be horrified. Don't support that industry. Many pup mill dogs are not well and have physical and mental issues. Yes, they are adorable but resist the awwww factor. Adopt. PetFinder.com. Way to go.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
There is a place on the way east on 25 I believe...just past Riverhead. Dont know if that is the place you are talking about. The store is immaculate..the puppies are in cribs and you can pet them freely. I was in there once and all the pups were up and vibrant..then they all decided to go take a nap. Dont know what it is..but they all went to sleep at once. I guess pups are like kids..they need their sleep. Doubt the owner drugged them.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There is a place on the way east on 25 I believe...just past Riverhead. Dont know if that is the place you are talking about. The store is immaculate..the puppies are in cribs and you can pet them freely. I was in there once and all the pups were up and vibrant..then they all decided to go take a nap. Dont know what it is..but they all went to sleep at once. I guess pups are like kids..they need their sleep. Doubt the owner drugged them.
that IS the place !!! stuffed dogs all over lawn, very clean and all puppies in cribs. We are considering a dog to join our family, I went there for an education on what dogs are good with kids and what types to consider. maybe it was "nap time" lol...........Im feeling better.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Maybe you're boring!

sorry, just couldn't resist.

BTW, something is wrong with all puppy stores. Go to a shelter and adopt. Those dogs will greet you like a dog should and there are plenty of puppy choices.
3 kids...........5,4 and 2 - far from boring

Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
that IS the place !!! stuffed dogs all over lawn, very clean and all puppies in cribs. We are considering a dog to join our family, I went there for an education on what dogs are good with kids and what types to consider. maybe it was "nap time" lol...........Im feeling better.
Yep...always stop there to pet the puppies on my way out East. Although I would agree that you should look at the pound first..plenty of nice dogs there...but many people do like their purebred puppies. I get the feeling that the guy who owns that store (also owns a store in the Hamptons) does get quality puppies and you cant argue about the facilities...not like they are kept in cages and the place is clean and doesnt smell.

Dont worry about them napping...I noticed that too...must be puppy nap time.

But try the pound first.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
As a groom mgr that worked in Riverhead for over 3 years, I can assure you many of those pups have problems. They came in the shop on a regular basis.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM

57 posts, read 178,742 times
Yep...always stop there to pet the puppies on my way out East. Although I would agree that you should look at the pound first..plenty of nice dogs there...but many people do like their purebred puppies. I get the feeling that the guy who owns that store (also owns a store in the Hamptons) does get quality puppies and you cant argue about the facilities...not like they are kept in cages and the place is clean and doesnt smell.

How often do you go out East and how many puppies to you get??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island