Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

If a kid in a great district is getting high in the woods is it a great district?

Drugs are OUT OF CONTROL on LI....but you rarely hear about it, why?
(Is it due to our overpaid and undereducated Mayberry police force?)

SUNY SB has a TON of drugs coming through the 3V area, but you never here about it becuase of property values and media bias.

Then when NEWS 12 does a Herion special they find it necessary to disclose that the woman with the needle is a graduate of North Babylon(maybe West cant remember) HS.

Either way there is a definite media bias and Real Estate marketing dupe associated with a Districts success or failure.

I remember RE agents pushing for Miller Place when I was looking at Sound Beach in 2000.

I passed after speaking with local parents, I was told "dont believe the hype" and bought Rocky Point against the advice of my agent (and I was VERY glad I did).

Two years later when I sold my first home, young couples were being told they should stay away from Miller Place schools and go to Rocky Point instead because of the taxes, overcrowding, and the threat of cancelling Kindergarten.

Districts are rarely as good or bad as your RE Agent will have you believe.You'd think they we're being spiffed by the Administration the way they prattle on about how A is so much better than B.

If you dont know anyone in town...do your DD, spend a Saturday at the local Supermarket and ask a parent if theyre happy... and why?

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-25-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 10:13 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
I've said it before & I'll say it again, I don't believe in "great districts", not here anyway because there not enough people that do things the right way.
I believe in GREAT PARENTS. Kids just about anywhere on LI have a chance to get a good education, play way more sports that schools should care about. if the kid & their parents are deicated to the kid being a well rounded kid, the outcome will most likely be excellent. I have many patients that live in Cold Spring Harbor & Muttontown, these jackass parents are paying 10k plus to hire professional college application advisors because the great colleges aren't looking for more wealthy, one dimensional hollow shells of human beings-they want well rounded kids that have volunteered in soup kitchens & had some real challeges in their life besides deciding which luxury car to pick for their 16th birthday.
Long Islanders are SHEEPLE ten fold. the success or failure of a child's education is ALWAYS up to the PARENTS, NEVER the school district.

And to answer your question, NO having a smoke shed & kids smoking grass, hash & anything else they can get just beyond the school property line does NOT equate with a great district.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
9 out of ten will try pot or something it has been that way for ever.Way back drinking was illegal. It does not mean anything drugs are everywhere. Everyone on this board look in the mirror are you pulling a Clinton?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
9 out of ten will try pot or something it has been that way for ever.Way back drinking was illegal. It does not mean anything drugs are everywhere. Everyone on this board look in the mirror are you pulling a Clinton?
Dont you mean a Lewinski?

C

Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Don't you think that ALL school districts have kids who smoke up in the "woods"? Hasn't that been happening forever? Am I missing something in this thread?

Old 08-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Don't you think that ALL school districts have kids who smoke up in the "woods"? Hasn't that been happening forever? Am I missing something in this thread?
Right...this isnt a bong hit and a beer in the woods.

Were talking kids banging dope and smoking meth.

C

Old 08-25-2007, 04:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
So where is this predominant? And why do you think that is? Serious question.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:09 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Since when is a school responsible for whether an individual decides to try drugs? If an adult is an addict, is it their employer's fault?
A certain percentage of a population will become addicted to a substance no matter where you live or what their socioeconomic status is. Drugs are available everywhere. Ever wonder why some of the people on LI are able to purchase homes that look way beyond what their employment would allow? Plenty of dealers around, especially in the white areas. They don't stand on the corners hustling, their customers come to them on the cul de sac!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
So where is this predominant? And why do you think that is? Serious question.
Everywhere

In fact its hitting the more affluent areas hard lately.

Everyones working rather than parenting.

Sad

C

Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
THE GREAT LONG ISLAND SCHOOL SCAM CONTINUES.....

You got it right Clamboy.

Thats why I say the school is the least important part of the school equation. The most important part of the equation are the parents and the kids. If the parents are able to invest in their kids the right attitudes about school then learning is never seen as a chore, but something fun and of value. Kids will do well no matter where they are.

That is why I chose to buy a home I could afford here in North Babylon on just my salary so my wife would not have to work. This is my opinion; kids do best when Mom is at home - there for them, always. Everyone is so worried about getting into the "good" schools, but forget that that doesn't matter unless the kids are raised well. How can people raise their kids if they are dropping them off at 7Am for before care and then don't pick them up until 5PM from after care. Lots of parents have to do this so they can pay there huge mortgages off in order to live in a "good" school district and as they would say, "live a miidle class lifestyle." How does leaving your kid with strangers instill a healthy self image - who is raising your kid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island